Tyre Blow out

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
Going home at teatime I was surprised by a bang from the rear wheel as I went round a mini roundabout. The rear tyre was completely flat in seconds and I was riding along on the rim.

I hadn't expected anything like this on my new ProConnect Disc as it is fitted with the state of the art Continental TopContact 'Made in Germany' Tyres. I had aready checked them out a few months ago and they cost over £50 each (on Wiggle) which is the reason why I expected them to be almost punture proof.

The tyre has a 4mm hole right through the main protected part of the tread and the tube has a 5mm split so they have had it.

I hope they are under guarantee!

I'm fitting Marathon Plus a.s.a.p. - always my first choice in tyres.

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I was expecting to see an interesting discussion start up with my post about the tyre blow-out not someone advertising tyre sales.

This sort of thing is spoiling discussion on this forum. I wish it would stop.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

I I was simply telling the forum about a new E bike Tyre at a good price I am not in the Business off selling tyres as your last ones cost £50 each and did NOT do the Job

I thought I was being Helpful:mad:

Frank:cool:

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
I experienced something similar on my conventional Folder .I`d fitted a new innertube bought from Wilcos and pumped it up to 50 psi to try and get the bead to be concentric .It exploded and I took it back and they replaced it no problem .I didn`t repeat the exercise with the replacement !

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I've not had much luck with Continental 'x' Contact tyres. No blow outs just constant punctures.

I've had blowouts on both the Kendas fitted to the Whisper from new and so far (and I might well be tempting fate here) only one puncture on Marathon Pluses. They really are an amazing tyre.

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
Going home at teatime I was surprised by a bang from the rear wheel as I went round a mini roundabout. The rear tyre was completely flat in seconds and I was riding along on the rim.

I hadn't expected anything like this on my new ProConnect Disc as it is fitted with the state of the art Continental TopContact 'Made in Germany' Tyres. I had aready checked them out a few months ago and they cost over £50 each (on Wiggle) which is the reason why I expected them to be almost punture proof.

The tyre has a 4mm hole right through the main protected part of the tread and the tube has a 5mm split so they have had it.

I hope they are under guarantee!

I'm fitting Marathon Plus a.s.a.p. - always my first choice in tyres.
I have just checked my front tyre which is also a Top Contact and it has a crack all round the side wall and on both sides.

The tyres would have been at the correct pressures when received from 50C and I still pumped them up until they were really hard yet this would seem to indicate that they were running under pressure. I don't believe that was so.

Would any PC Disc owners with these tyres check them to see if there is any sign of cracking and let me know.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I have them on my PCS, I'll check when I get home....

---------------------------------
Posted using Tapatalk :)

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I've had a look at the new replacement they sent me which I haven't fitted yet and there is a hairline crack round both sides where the sidewall meets the protected part.

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
I was expecting to see an interesting discussion start up with my post about the tyre blow-out not someone advertising tyre sales.

This sort of thing is spoiling discussion on this forum. I wish it would stop.
I think that's a bit harsh. The link provided has allowed me to read about these tyres for the 1st time.If I want I can now investigate further and make up my own mind whether they're worth buying, which I'm perfectly capable of doing , so for me Frank's post was helpful:confused:

Ebola

Just Joined
May 17, 2011
Would any PC Disc owners with these tyres check them to see if there is any sign of cracking and let me know.
I have cracks in my Continental tyres too, and I got the PC Disc 2011 about 3 months ago. :mad:

50cycles told me that the cracks are just in the outer layer and possess no problem. :confused: However, I am worried about the rubber quality as I can't understand that cracks should appear so soon (or appear at all). I suggest all PC Disc owners keep an eye on the tyres. Would be bad to get a tyre blow out in mid traffic. :(

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
german's obviously sourcing cheapest product from wherever best price is.......and still claiming high quality and adding a premium...... they still make stuff (unlike uk) but not all is as it would appear !!!
(i worked for a huge german company in the 90's ...they were sourcing from the far east even then)

regards

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
Hi Walkerman,
Did you get the replacement under warranty???.Eddie
50C sent it out within a day or two as the Continental tyres are covered with an anti-puncture guarantee. I sent the original two tyres plus that one back to 50C on advice from Continental UK who said I should specify a Warranty claim which is different to the anti-puncture guarantee.
I have heard nothing from them since I sent them back via 50Cycles about two weeks ago by recorded delivery.

I am not at all comfortable about riding around on a bike with splits on both sides of the tyre so I have fitted my favourites - Scwalbe Marathon Plus which do not have any splits at all.

Does anyone know if there is any law about selling faulty tyres?

windycycle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 16, 2011
help ive just blown a tyre if it wasnt for kevlar strip i wouldnt have got home could somebody help with some info please,i need to replace the back tire an my wisper 905 could i use an ordinary bike tire,im worried about the extra air pressure that the wisper needs,or could somebody advise which tire or a dealer thanks all the best windycycle.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
help ive just blown a tyre if it wasnt for kevlar strip i wouldnt have got home could somebody help with some info please,i need to replace the back tire an my wisper 905 could i use an ordinary bike tire,im worried about the extra air pressure that the wisper needs,or could somebody advise which tire or a dealer thanks all the best windycycle.
Any decent bike tyre should do the job, just don't exceed the max pressure as stated on the replacement tyre.

As the Wisper 905 isn't the easiest bike to replace a rear tyre on I can recommend Marathon Pluses. I have ridden over 5000 miles with only one puncture so far.

windycycle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 16, 2011
thanks for the reply it is appreciated one question would the lower psi slow me down and create drag what do you think, thanks again windycycle.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
thanks for the reply it is appreciated one question would the lower psi slow me down and create drag what do you think, thanks again windycycle.
If the tyre pressure is lower than its maximum then you would suffer from extra rolling resistance.

I would think that tread pattern could cause more rolling resistance, if say using a knobbly (off road) tyre for road use.