Tyre Blow out

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
thanks for the reply it is appreciated one question would the lower psi slow me down and create drag what do you think, thanks again windycycle.
I find that significant drag only comes when the tyre is under 40psi, that's for a fairly fat tyre >1.5" wide and narrow tyres are much more susceptible to low pressures.
There will be a maximum pressure the rims can take as well and this is often lower than the markings on the tyre, however I've not known a rim fail and I've got my tyres running at 95psi* when the max should be 50psi for the tyre size. The biggest danger of too much pressure is the inner tube forcing it's way out between the rim and the bead, then you get a blowout. You can get a good idea how likely this is by how difficult it is to fit the tyre, if the tyre almost falls off the rim then don't push the pressure too far.
MPs seem to run badly at lower pressure, more so than normal tyres.

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
50C sent it out within a day or two as the Continental tyres are covered with an anti-puncture guarantee. I sent the original two tyres plus that one back to 50C on advice from Continental UK who said I should specify a Warranty claim which is different to the anti-puncture guarantee.
I have heard nothing from them since I sent them back via 50Cycles about two weeks ago by recorded delivery.

I am not at all comfortable about riding around on a bike with splits on both sides of the tyre so I have fitted my favourites - Scwalbe Marathon Plus which do not have any splits at all.

Does anyone know if there is any law about selling faulty tyres?
The tyres have had to go back to Kalkhoff in Germany via 50C, but still no reply - what a service from Kalkhoff.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
The tyres have had to go back to Kalkhoff in Germany via 50C, but still no reply - what a service from Kalkhoff.
I tried one of the Continental tyres and put up with the first punctures, then after one puncture it deformed and didn't ride properly. I didn't attempt the guarantee process as I'm not interested in it being replaced with another fargile tyre. These tyres are much more expensive than Schwalbe equivalents and I don't think they are worth the extra money.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
My rear marathon plus tire is on its last legs now (no tread left) but still keeps the punctures at bay.
However its really starting to take its toll on the tube and hondling and rolling resistance is poor.

They are heavy tires as well espcially in a 35c width. Ie 800g+ compared to most normal road tires at 400g.
This isn't so much of an issure on an electric bike.

But I've only ever had good things from those tires. So much so I've brough another pair on ebay for £30. (Ok they had 500 miles on them but hey as long as they do the job and i've still got one spare i'll be a happy boy.)

I'm sorry to hear about your blow out. Its never fun having to walk with a bike.

I also never have much luck with puncture repair with the thinner inner tubes and higher pressures. =-(

robelee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
Hi Walkerman,

Seems like you and I have identical problems with our bikes! Yes mine are cracked all around the side wall - it appears to resemble old rubber when it starts to perish. So far no problems though, I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Rob

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
My experience of the Top Contacts so far is very positive. Came as standard on the PCS and impressed me so I've fitted them to my Peugeot replacing the MP+. Rolling resistance is noticeably lower and the ride has improved as I don't run them at the same high pressure I did with the MP's. The bike feels very similar to the PCS now unpowered even with a front hub motor. Downside is the cost!

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
Hi Walkerman,

Seems like you and I have identical problems with our bikes! Yes mine are cracked all around the side wall - it appears to resemble old rubber when it starts to perish. So far no problems though, I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Hi Rob
I wasn't prepared to risk my life going down a hill at 25mph knowing the tyres under me had splits all round them and on both sides.

If split tyres were fitted on a car they would be illegal and very dangerous.

Scott at 50C has just emailed to say he will chase this up with Kalkhoff in Germany.

All I want is the £60 it cost me for the two replacement Marathon Plus. They can keep their Top Contact tyres which cost £100 so in a way they are better off financially.

Had I been injured when I had the blow-out they would have been facing a much bigger legal claim!

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Hi

We now fit the Continental Eco contact plus this is a new Tyre for electric bikes

No problems and Lower cost RRP £20 With FREE inner tube

Continental Bicycle -Eco Contact Plus

I year Puncture Guarantee we inspect the tire and if it is a puncture we inform them and they credit our account so no Quibble Guarantee

Frank
To me the guarantee seems silly and little more than a PR excersise, if I get a puncture I'll fix it. I'm not going to push the bike home and post it off to you for inspection and wait a couple of weeks before I can ride again.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I think thats what they hope for to be honest.

I just bulk buy a few tubes as puncture repairs only seem to work on a temp basis anyway. Least there pretty good at low pressures but anything higher than 30psi mine always seem to fail.

I tried one repair at 70 psi and it just destroyed it.

Needless to say I now just replace the entire tube.
I know there are better tires out there than the Marathon Plus but as far as punctures go and for commuting round the dodgy streets of Birmingham they have been pretty good.

There still expensive though. Gonig rate is about £25 to £30 a wheel.
Which still makes me cringe a little when buying them new. At £40+ its just wrong. You can get cheaper car tires.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I just bulk buy a few tubes as puncture repairs only seem to work on a temp basis anyway. Least there pretty good at low pressures but anything higher than 30psi mine always seem to fail.

Use decent feathered edge patches, let the rubber solution dry completely to a dull finish after applying it, then press the patch firmly on. That way the patch bonds almost as securely as vulcanising, the tube can be stretched and the patch stretches with it. Repairs done that way live as long as the tube. Don't take any notice of some of the poor online advice about applying patches to wet solution, it's wrong.

In the trade after WW2 when supplies were short and people even more short of money, I used to see tubes covered with patches, sometimes two deep when punctures had happened over patch areas, but repaired properly as described, they never gave way at any pressure.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Interesting maybe my patching skills need to be updated.
The issue was really that because I used MP tires and a repair kit from rip off evans was a fiver yet a new tube was the same cost. So I used to just buy a new tube each time I had one.

Maybe I'll buy some better quality kits and hopefully cheaper and then I can repair should the issue arise.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
I think thats what they hope for to be honest.

Needless to say I now just replace the entire tube.
I know there are better tires out there than the Marathon Plus but as far as punctures go and for commuting round the dodgy streets of Birmingham they have been pretty good.

There still expensive though. Gonig rate is about £25 to £30 a wheel.
Which still makes me cringe a little when buying them new. At £40+ its just wrong. You can get cheaper car tires.
You can get 'one' cheaper car tyre for £40.00 maybe. But I wouldn't put one on my car!

I'd say the tyre is one of the most important part of any road vehicle, followed by the brakes. I'd rather pay £40-£50 on tyres and have piece of mind (and a lot less punctures) than stick a couple of £5 specials on and hope for the best. I swear by Marathon Plus and recommend them to anyone who's a serious commuter. The last thing you want to be doing is repairing a puncture on the roadside on a dark and wet winter evening. Trust me, I know this from experience.

Hello, I'm still about. Still non-electric but like to lurk around here and see how everyone's doing. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hello, I'm still about. Still non-electric but like to lurk around here and see how everyone's doing. :)
Good to see Rad. Although my association with powered bikes goes back 61 years, I've only actually owned them for the last 8 years, cycling unpowered in the earlier years.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
You can get 'one' cheaper car tyre for £40.00 maybe. But I wouldn't put one on my car!
Good for you. However, there are many of us who drive smaller, cheaper cars who are quite happy to fit 40quid tyres. Not all the cheapish ones are crap and it does you no favours at all to look down your nose at those who might not own a flash motor.
Honestly, there's some right b(((ocks talked about tyres.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Keeping on topic before wandering off on the price of tires in other automotive variations

A tire should be picked on use. I use marathon plus because I'm not trying to save every last gram on weight. An I commute along mostly straight roads which are riddled with pot holes and debris. So the pro's of the tire out weigh it's cons.

I'm sure if I was to road cycle or leisure cycle I would pick something else. But as a commuter tire it works well.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Yes Scotty. I don't commute by bike and only ride for pleasure so for me the Contis where worth a punt and I'm very happy with them.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I had a puncture on the front tonight. Sods law.

But my new set of tires arrived! Yay. New tube fitted with new tire and ready to roll again. I got a front puncture simply because it's so very worn.

Since ordered a few puncture repair kits of eBay for 1.30 with free p&p. Bargain!

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
I decided to try the Michelin City Protec Plus that has the puncture proof lining. They've been good up to now (no punctures in a few hundred miles) and feel quite comfy and grippy on the road. I can't compare them others but I'm happy with them. My intention is to try the Continentals and the Marathon + when they wear out to see the differences.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Good for you. However, there are many of us who drive smaller, cheaper cars who are quite happy to fit 40quid tyres. Not all the cheapish ones are crap and it does you no favours at all to look down your nose at those who might not own a flash motor.
Honestly, there's some right b(((ocks talked about tyres.
Not looking down my nose mate. Just stating a fact. I'd put the most expensive tyre I could afford on my motor. And I've learned to do the same on my pushbike.