tyre exploded

bert11

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2011
southwest England
Earlier this week I was sat in the office and heard a huge bang from the car park.

It turned out my rear tyre had exploded whilst stood in the sun!

The tyre must have popped off the rim, rather than exploding, beacause I've replaced the tube and am now reusing the tyre. The bead on the tyre is clearly a little stretched but has not popped off since.

The tyre blew off at 75psi (tyre says max. 85psi)

Am now running at 55-60psi but its noticeably slower to ride :(

Tyre was a Schwalbe Marathon Pro

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This can also happen when the tube has been pinched under the tyre bead. Heat expansion can force air into the pinch area and create an external bubble in the tube which then explodes with a huge bang.

It's well worth you returning to the pressures you like since that may have been the cause.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Earlier this week I was sat in the office and heard a huge bang from the car park.
I had one blow in my kitchen at about 6:00 am on a work day. I was pumping it up at the time and I was just about done at 90 psi when ... BANG! ...it was very loud and I was not very popular as you can imagine.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I had one blow in my kitchen at about 6:00 am on a work day. I was pumping it up at the time and I was just about done at 90 psi when ... BANG! ...it was very loud and I was not very popular as you can imagine.
Brilliant!

Bet you couldn't avoid chuckling about it later. :D :D

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
If you were half asleep i bet that woke you up (not to mention your neighbours) and scared the heebie jeebies out of ya lol

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
If you were half asleep i bet that woke you up (not to mention your neighbours) and scared the heebie jeebies out of ya lol
Yes and yes! .... it certainly got the adrenaline flowing

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
It sounds like the tyre was not seated correctly.

I have never had any problems with Schwalbe tyres and it is all I will use.

Refit it and blow it up to the same pressure again and see what happens. That stretch may have some effect though.

Steve

bert11

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2011
southwest England
Must have been pinched tube. I'll run higher pressures and see what happens

bert11

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2011
southwest England
sweeeet, it happened again at 50psi.

tyre bead is now welllll stretched. Time to get another tyre.

Just to add that I lubed the tube up before installing to prevent pinching it

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
How are you pinching the tubes exactly?
I've never done that on a bike ?

Although alot of people keep saying that Marathon plus tires are hard to get on wheels but again have found no difficultly in doing this.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Schwalbe are the tightest fitting tyres I've tried, the mp in particular. That said tolerances vary and you might have a slightly undersized wheel coupled with an oversized bead. I've had the bead split on a few tyres and it does make quite some noise.

bert11

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2011
southwest England
How are you pinching the tubes exactly?
I've never done that on a bike ?

Although alot of people keep saying that Marathon plus tires are hard to get on wheels but again have found no difficultly in doing this.
If I knew I might be able to avoid it. Properly lubed the tube up and it still pinched ... ? or maybe the tyre is shagged

bert11

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2011
southwest England
Just to update, I've found out the problem was not pinching the inner tube under the tyre - thank god. I thought I was going crazy.

The Alex 1000 (or similar name) rims which came as standard on my bike were too small and were allowing the bead of the tyre to pop off the rim under high load or when left in direct sunlight.

I changed the rim for a mavic A319. It was 200% more difficult to install the tyre over the rim this time which was a huge relief, and i've not had a problem for a couple of hundred miles.

In conclusion the original problem was a damaged rim. The rim span true but had somehow decreased in diameter. Someone explain that ...