Tyre pressures

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Been using Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour 700 x35 on my Gazelle Ultimate having used them previously on my Volt Infinity.
Now in total they are on 1400 miles but showing wear in the centre 12mm only, presumably due to my insistence on running at 65psi.
I am tempted to lower the pressure to 40ish to equalise the wear as the rest of the tyres are as new, just the centre suffering.
The down side will ultimately be more susceptibility to punctures with more rubber on the road.
Only used on tarmac tow paths, cycleways and the appalling main roads, no off road use.
Anyone with any opinions re this plan?
Also is 1400 miles not on the poor side regarding wear?
Thanks Ted.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Been using Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour 700 x35 on my Gazelle Ultimate having used them previously on my Volt Infinity.
Now in total they are on 1400 miles but showing wear in the centre 12mm only, presumably due to my insistence on running at 65psi.
I am tempted to lower the pressure to 40ish to equalise the wear as the rest of the tyres are as new, just the centre suffering.
The down side will ultimately be more susceptibility to punctures with more rubber on the road.
Only used on tarmac tow paths, cycleways and the appalling main roads, no off road use.
Thanks Ted.
The standard MarathonPlus are very hard rubber and wear well, but are criticised for poor grip at times, so Schwalbe may have used a softer compound on the Tour, which if so will wear more.

However, reducing the pressure seems a good plan to compensate, but could shorten range a little due to more drag. I doubt you'll get a big difference in puncture rate though, I think luck is the biggest factor there.

• Informative
Reactions: Bikes4two and TedG

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Thank you as always.
I suspected it would be a balance but if you are introducing "luck" into this, well ☹

Edit.
Not used to these tyres at all but grip is excellent to date.
The centre strip of "blocks" are down 50% on the rest of the block pattern, which at 60psi never touch the ground.
Any thoughts on mileage I should be expecting?
At the current rate I am thinking 2000ish might be the limit of my luck.

Gazelle with belt drive and Enviolo hub system with Kiox 300 is splendid.
It will be my last bicycle after 65 years so I think I made a good choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brik

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Any thoughts on mileage I should be expecting?
At the current rate I am thinking 2000ish might be the limit of my luck.
2000 miles fits with my experience of softish rubber tyres from Maxxis, while the high profile puncture proof Kendas seem good for well over double that.

Good to hear you are so pleased with the Gazelle, if only all bicycles were so beautifully designed and built.

Reactions: TedG

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
I run the normal MP's (size 700 x 38) not the tour model, on both my tandem and solo (size 700 x 38) and go for 60psi front / 65psi rear on the tandem and 50 psi front / 55 psi rear on my solo.

I haven't had any 'moments' with them, but I rarely ride in the wet or especially aggressively as I don't bounce very well at my age.

A rule of thumb for setting a decent pressure used to be to aim for around a 15% deflection of the tyre sidewall when the bike is fully loaded. With the pressures I use (possibly too high) the ride is still quite harsh but this is normal for MPs and (tempting fate here) in many thousands of miles ridden with Marathon Plus, I've never punctured. I've had one puncture with a (worn out) ordinary Marathon.

I don't know what sort of mileage to expect from the MP Tour, but 2,000 would not be unreasonable. The MPs would probably be double that figure.

• Informative

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Mind if you are doing any sor tof miles in this hot weather, a slight reduction in pressure as they can actually blow up.

• Informative

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Mind if you are doing any sort of miles in this hot weather, a slight reduction in pressure as they can actually blow up.
Hmm.
Both bikes parked outside in hot sun for an hour, inflated to the usual 65 psi and when ready to go we saw that the front on the Raleigh Centros was flat.
Same Schwalbe tyres on both bikes with Kenda tubes on the Raleigh from new.
Wheel off and tube inspection to find a 3 inch gash in it. What??? :oops:
Not being used, just parked ready.
Never in the aforementioned 65 years!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks Ted.
I'd say try the tyres at 40 psi, then you'll know the answer.

I never use a pressure gauge. I pump my Marathon Plus tyres up as hard as I can, then after a few months or more I notice that the handling has gone off, and when I squeeze the typre, I can feel it's squidgy, so I pump them up hard again. They've done about 6500 miles now. The back one hasn't got much tread left, but still might outlast me.

Last edited:

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
I'd say try the tyres at 40 psi, then you'll know the answer.

'I never use a pressure gauge. I pump my Marathon Plus tyres up as hard as I can...'

Just a caution to others who might follow this practice that rims and tyres (I also use Marathon Plus) do vary. The other week I had a rather unnerving experience with my Swytch hub front wheel having the Swalbe tyre bead partially unseating from the rim. Deflating the tyre and pumping up to a just usable pressure got me home. I now tend to go no higher than 4 bar (58psi).

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Think I'm on my 3rd Marathon plus on my front hub. One was so worn the blue was showing through, didn't puncture though.
I run them at around 55 and, as you say, the centre goes bald first.

• Informative