Tyre Repairs?

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hi Guys

Just wondering if its possible to repair the numerous gashes and gouges in my tyres. They arent even 12 months old and mainly through glass shards from smahed bus stop glass look scared and serrated in places.

Any tips for some form of DIY repair?

Thanks

John

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've not found anything yet :(
I just ignore most of them and it's not a problem unless it's a big cut in the carcass which affects the handling.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The only way they could be repaired is by reheating them to rubber melt point in the original mould John. No repair adhesive or filler would stay in place when the rubber started flexing on the road, so best just to ignore the splits as Mussels says.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Oh well nevermind, Thanks guys

I was just trying to make my Sunday morning 'remove glass from tyres with long nose pliers' routine a bit easier, I keep digging into the same old holes in the tyres!

FYI I normally find about 2-3 shards stuck in each tyre at the end of a week, which probably explains why I've had a couple of punctures.

John

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
It was an evil looking green glass shard that punctured my rear tyre a couple of weeks ago. I think recycling with regular glass collections is making things worse. Verily the roads are paved with glass. :(