Tyre rotation direction

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
The Schwalbe Active Plus tyres on my ebike have arrows on them indicating the correct direction of rotation. I can understand it making a difference on a motorbike or a car, but why does it matter on a bicycle? What is it about the tyre construction that dictates which way round it's fitted?

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
The Schwalbe Active Plus tyres on my ebike have arrows on them indicating the correct direction of rotation. I can understand it making a difference on a motorbike or a car, but why does it matter on a bicycle? What is it about the tyre construction that dictates which way round it's fitted?
Schwalbe says;

Why are so many treads direction dependant?
In the case of a road tire the rolling direction is mainly important for aesthetic considerations. Tires marked with arrows simply look more dynamic..
Off road, the rolling direction is far more important, as the tread ensures optimumconnection between the tire and the ground. The rear wheel transmits the driving force and the front wheel transmits the braking and steering forces. Driving and braking forces operate in different directions. That is why certain tires are fitted in opposite rotating directions when used as front and rear tires.
There are also treads without a specified rotating direction

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Tread patterns are often self cleaning, their V shape structures ejecting dirt and water if rotating in the correct direction.

If the wrong way round thay can accumulate dirt and water instead, reducing the grip and therefore the safety.

Not a big deal with bicycles on the road, but as Tesco say, every little helps.

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
Cheers guys. The question arose 'cos I've just noticed that the front tyre on my new ebike is on wrong way round. I take flecc's point about the self-clearing, so I guess it would make sense to turn the damned thing round :rolleyes:

Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Cheers guys. The question arose 'cos I've just noticed that the front tyre on my new ebike is on wrong way round. I take flecc's point about the self-clearing, so I guess it would make sense to turn the damned thing round :rolleyes:
Funnily enough I noticed that I'd put my front tyre on the wrong way around after a roadside puncture repair (tube swap to be precise) so tomorrow it's out wheel, re-thread the QR skewer (release lever on the left of course o_O) and the speedo magnet changed over too.

criispyhere

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 1, 2023
Of course it depends on the type of your tire but it may affect on your ride speed and comfort.
Your tire can be a symmetric tire and still having a rotation it's for user to know how to put the used tire to be worn in the same direction.