UK’s first e-scooter trial scaled back amid widespread misuse – including underage riders zipping through shopping centres

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Something I came across yesterday amused me. Boris Johnson visiting Scotland in a "union boosting" visit was entering a port there by boat.

It was flying its Union Jack upside down, an internationally recognised signal of distress. :D
Isn't that typical of the UK though. To have a flag which most people think is symmetrical and have no idea as to whether it is upside down. To have separate currency in Scotland, the Channel Islands etc., a separate legal system in Scotland. The Isle of Man, half way between NI and the mainland but not part of the UK, even the Queen of England (separately the Queen of Scotland and never making a claim to be the Queen of Wales) is not the Queen in Man but 'The Lord of Man'

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Isn't that typical of the UK though. To have a flag which most people think is symmetrical and have no idea as to whether it is upside down. To have separate currency in Scotland, the Channel Islands etc., a separate legal system in Scotland. The Isle of Man, half way between NI and the mainland but not part of the UK, even the Queen of England (separately the Queen of Scotland and never making a claim to be the Queen of Wales) is not the Queen in Man but 'The Lord of Man'
I checked this out with the intent to post on another forum, mainly inhabited by tory gimmers :rolleyes:. The Quitling press is claiming its not true. Shame its not.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I checked this out with the intent to post on another forum, mainly inhabited by tory gimmers :rolleyes:. The Quitling press is claiming its not true. Shame its not.
Which bit isn't true Jim, I tried to check but Google won't accept Quitling Press, insisting I must mean quilting.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
It appears that it was his PM aircraft.
Most people look at the flag with the flag pole on the left, but on aircraft, the nose is taken as the flag pole, so that flags on the right hand side appear to be back to front.
The French and US presidential aircraft also have apparently back to front or upside down flags on their right hand side.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It appears that it was his PM aircraft.
Most people look at the flag with the flag pole on the left, but on aircraft, the nose is taken as the flag pole, so that flags on the right hand side appear to be back to front.
The French and US presidential aircraft also have apparently back to front or upside down flags on their right hand side.
The report I read was definitely on a boat, even naming the island harbour it was sailing into. Still may have been false of course.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
This pic is from when he visted Orkney in late July

Crab certainly has lost its will to live and rolled over ....

The flag in the background on the fishing boat is upside down, which is probably where the story originated. I guess they rushed it out for the camera.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Frankly, I find it all a bit childish.
I guess that this business of flying the flag upside down as a distress signal is an urban myth.
Anybody who has done any sailing will tell you that unless you are quite close, you would not be able to tell. Flags flap around in the wind and if you want to make a distress call, there are far better ways of doing so.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Frankly, I find it all a bit childish.
I guess that this business of flying the flag upside down as a distress signal is an urban myth.
Anybody who has done any sailing will tell you that unless you are quite close, you would not be able to tell. Flags flap around in the wind and if you want to make a distress call, there are far better ways of doing so.
I seem to remember that it was a 'hidden' distress signal in some distant historical incident; the enemy would not recognise the signal. I may have remembered wrong, or I could correctly have remembered a wrong myth.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I hope our Glorious Leader is taking some of these Postings with good grace , Mr Erdogan for one wouldn`t , so be glad you live in the UK .
True, but Boris is fairly confident of not coming to an abrupt violent end at the hands of some of the people.

Recep Tayyip Erdoğan could well do if he continues on his present path to dictatorship. Like Nicolae and Elena Ceaușescu, Muammar Gaddafi, Benito Mussolini and the Romanoff family.

It pays to be tolerant.

Reactions: mike killay

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Flecc you be me to it ( Erdogan sounds more like a dragon who could be a character in the LOTR/Hobbit films or some other medieval film) is in all but in name a jumped up would be dictator.

• Agree

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
That’s whole problem with the young they do stupid things better fit they adopted our approach, doing nothing wrong in our lives. Lol

• :D