UK legal, lightweight rear hub kit?

Dadam

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2023
Hi, I've got a couple of ebikes and started to think that neither of them are ideal for my commute. The e-road bike doesn't have lugs for mudguards or rack so I've got clip on Raceblades and a seatpost rack (though I use a backpack). The Bosch engined eMTB is overkill and the tarmac will wear down the knobbly tyres quite quick. I really can't justify buying yet another ebike though!

So, thinking of maybe converting my hybrid (Giant Escape). Ideally I want a rear hub motor, I just think they're best for general tarmac use. It must be UK legal 250w and lightweight. The battery doesn't have to be very big either, 200-250 Wh would be fine. My Mahle based road bike uses about 10% a day as it's a pretty short commute. In fact an aftermarket equivalent to the Mahle system overall would be perfect. If the right motor isn't available in a pre-built wheel I'd be tempted to teach myself to lace the hub in or worst case get a wheelbuilder to do it.

Any suggestions?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Depends on the terrain features if little or no steep inclines are involved then a lightweight front hub is a great option.

Dadam

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2023
Pretty steep on the way home, 1 mile averaging 5% and going up to 10%. Really don't want a front hub

Dadam

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2023
They look ideal thanks. I like the idea that I can go just pedal assist, and save money on the throttle which I don’t need and hence also the hydraulic brake sensors.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
They look ideal thanks. I like the idea that I can go just pedal assist, and save money on the throttle which I don’t need and hence also the hydraulic brake sensors.
Yes that is certainly true, but (don't think this view is widely shared) I can see the advantage of brake sensors even with no throttle. When I am changing down the gears approaching a junction I usually pedal to change down the gears but don't really want the cadence sensor causing the motor assist to kick in - if I dab the brakes that have a brake sensor that will stop the motor assist from kicking in

Reactions: Laser Man and Dadam

Dadam

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2023
Yes that is certainly true, but (don't think this view is widely shared) I can see the advantage of brake sensors even with no throttle. When I am changing down the gears approaching a junction I usually pedal to change down the gears but don't really want the cadence sensor causing the motor assist to kick in - if I dab the brakes that have a brake sensor that will stop the motor assist from kicking in
Fair point, I do the same. I can’t say it’s something I’ve noticed on my Mahle bike, which has a basic speed sensor in the cassette, but good programming. My guess is it’s because the cassette is spinning slower than the wheel so it knows you don’t need assist.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
fwiw the locked configuration out of the box of the yose power kit might not suit you and the fix costs extra..

I upgraded my cycle this weekend past and found the power modes 1-2 are so late to kick in that i have generally surpassed the speed they are regulated at when it does kick in and pas modes 3 4 and 5 while kicking in after perhaps only 2 crank revolutions its a case of full power n until the requlated speed is hit 10.12.15 mph.

requiring aftermarket controller and headset to reconfigure in my case..

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
fwiw the locked configuration out of the box of the yose power kit might not suit you and the fix costs extra..

I upgraded my cycle this weekend past and found the power modes 1-2 are so late to kick in that i have generally surpassed the speed they are regulated at when it does kick in and pas modes 3 4 and 5 while kicking in after perhaps only 2 crank revolutions its a case of full power n until the requlated speed is hit 10.12.15 mph.

requiring aftermarket controller and headset to reconfigure in my case..
I think that is standardish behaviour from cheap, speed based controllers. I set my Bafang rear hub ( G020 / SWX02) kit to 9 PAS levels. The lower power levels kick in after a small amount of pedal rotation and do help you accelerate, but on the flat, I am cycling using my own pedalling effort faster than levels 1-4. On the remaining levels (5-9) there is only really one speed at each level where I find a nice balance between pedalling effort and motor assist, if I speed up slightly the motor assist dies, if I slow down slightly then the motor takes over and I feel like I am not putting in much pedalling effort. For me it's not too bad, once you know how it works, but it is more difficult when you try and cycle with someone else to fit in with their speed. I might at some point get a new controller / display with power based PAS levels, but I'm not sure if the PAS sensor / brake sensors / throttle connections will be the same - may have to replace those as well.

On the Woosh XF08c kit this effect is not as noticeable (more sophisticated controller ?)

Last edited:

Dadam

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2023
Woosh don't do the 85SX any more, so looking at the XF08 now. A kilo heavier but a bit more powerful

Dadam

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2023
Thanks for your input everyone, I've decided on the XF08C kit from Woosh with the 13AH downtube battery and no throttle. The only downside is the silver spokes won't match the front wheel :)

Reactions: Peter.Bridge