Woosh xf08c cassette with rear rack battery

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Hi all

So I wanted a "tootling about" pedelec to go with my BBS02B boardman conversion and I thought I would try doing this one myself (bit of a novice bike mechanic!). Not going to use it for commuting or in heavy traffic, just day trips on pretty deserted single track roads and maybe cycling to the shops

Also I thought it would be nice for visitors to be able to come with myself and my wife (who has a Wisper 705) on some ebike day trips - so I opted for a step through donor bike

I'm 6ft 3, 16 stone and still can add a bit of pedalling effort myself. I live in North Yorkshire and the North Yorkshire Moors are close by so I can do some test runs up some hills

After some discussion with Woosh, I opted for the XF08c with the 36V 20ah rear rack battery

I bought a claud butler legend as the donor bike from Facebook marketplace for the princely sum of £40PXL_20230531_090945748.jpg

Conversion was very straightforward, left hand pas sensor, the controller is in the rear rack battery housing, new wheel slotted in fine, just needed to re-index the gears (I had asked Woosh to fit a wide range 8 speed cassette)

Tested it out today, very pleased, the speedometer matched exactly GPS speed.

You can't modify the settings on the assistance levels but level 1 was great, can feel the assistance but still do a bit of pedalling up to level 5 which you feel quite a push

Quite a lot of weight high up on the back, can't say I noticed in terms of handling but you do notice it moving it around when you are off the bike

I did try increasing the motor assist speed limit (it comes set at 25km/h), this motor with 700 x38 c wheels / tyres seems to max out at 31/32 km/h on the flat, which I think is quite fast enough with rim brakes! I suspect this limit is a product of the motor winding. The rim brakes were fine today in the dry, will try them downhill on a wet road and report back
PXL_20230604_152502100.jpgPXL_20230604_152435891.jpgPXL_20230604_152419862.jpgPXL_20230604_152514848.jpg

Reactions: Oldie and Woosh

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Ok cycled up the nearest big hill (extract below!)Screenshot_20230605-190916~2.png

Cycled up without stopping, slowed down to 10 km/h , using 2nd gear ( out of 8). Put in a fair amount of pedalling effort but there's no way I would have got up alone !

I think I am going to leave it in max assist level and (on the flat), I'm at the point where if I speed up by adding pedalling, the motor power is reducing as it approaches maximum speed. Allows me to put in quite a bit of effort but if I slow down by a couple of km/h the motor increases the proportion of effort so I can have a bit of a rest without losing much speed !

Screenshot_20230605-191736.png

This is the simulator for the xf07, I seem to be getting a little more out of the XF08c, around 32 km/h on the flat steady state pedalling at a sustainable pace but with a fair bit of effort
(I can ring my pink bell that was a leftover from the previous owner if I pass any roadies)PXL_20230604_152435891.jpg

Reactions: Woosh and Bikes4two

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Went out for a short (10 mile) cycle with Jan last night, lovely roads for cycling, saw lots of other cyclists.

As I expected, I was having to use an assist level higher to keep up with Jan, however hard I pedalled, but this causes a lot less friction than if I am on my BBS02B conversion and the roles are reversed !

Very impressed with Jan's wisper 705, seems to match the ebike simulation for her motor with 26 inch wheels
Screenshot_20230607-075310~2.png

Unrestricted at top level assist in the flat, she's probably 7or 8 km/h faster, but she usually uses level3 so if I use level4 we're pretty well matched.

When we come to some serious hills though she will leave me in the dust (when w/kg is the main determinant - she has a lot less kg to cart about!)

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
The engineer in me wonders about buying a secondhand wisper 705 that's not working and trying fitting a new rear rack with 48v battery and controller and display I like the step through design and the hydraulic disc brakes and how the controller fits in the battery housing - must be able to buy a 48v rack battery housing with space for the controller ?

Not sure if the existing brake and PAS sensors would be compatible, also that I won't blow any fuses in the motor. Wonder if I would be able to thread through the new display cable through the frame ?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Not sure if the existing brake and PAS sensors would be compatible, also that I won't blow any fuses in the motor. Wonder if I would be able to thread through the new display cable through the frame ?
All pedal such pedal sensors and brake switches work the same. All you need to do is connect the wires. Considering the low price of throttles and PASs, it's often quicker and easier to buy a whole controller kit and replace everything rather than mess about with connectors.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
We had a e-cycle to Northallerton and back, 43 miles

It was lovely ride, Google suggested a route mostly along pretty deserted single track roads
IMG-20230610-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20230610-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20230610-WA0003.jpgjIMG-20230610-WA0002.jpg

We did have a couple of full panniers on the rear, with lots of fluids and some cookies and some shopping

It was lovely day and lovely countryside, Jan did hear one road cyclist say to the other "are those electric bikes ?", the other replied "I bloody well hope so"

It does open up all sorts of days out to the coast etc

Jan's wisper battery went from 41.9v to 35.8v
My battery went from 41.5v to 34.3v but it would have been easy to be more economical by turning down the assist level by 1. I did ride back on full assist and there on level 4

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
It was lovely day and lovely countryside, Jan did hear one road cyclist say to the other "are those electric bikes ?", the other replied "I bloody well hope so"
:D:D:D:D:D

It does open up all sorts of days out to the coast etc
Great to see you both enjoying the cycling experience.

Apologies if you've posted before, but what 'tools' are you using to collect that cycling data?

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
We have the Xiaomi mi bands (about £30-40). You have to install the "Zepp Life" app to link the band with your phone via Bluetooth. If you press "outdoor cycling" on the band, it uses the GPS on your phone (which you have to have with you) to track your route.
After the cycle you can open up the Zepp life app and it has the maps and data available