Uk Police using E Bikes

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
I had never noticed before , but today in London, I spotted a single Police rider on an E Bike. There were some specs on the drive wheel but
couldn't see detail. Google suggested firms like Juicy Bike supply some Police forces. I am sure there are others.
I just wondered if the coppers bikes are standard legally 15mph limited like the rest of us or they are allowed to ride a higher spec to catch up on all those hoodlums and ne'erdo-wells?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I had never noticed before , but today in London, I spotted a single Police rider on an E Bike. There were some specs on the drive wheel but
couldn't see detail. Google suggested firms like Juicy Bike supply some Police forces. I am sure there are others.
I just wondered if the coppers bikes are standard legally 15mph limited like the rest of us or they are allowed to ride a higher spec to catch up on all those hoodlums and ne'erdo-wells?
They are standard. Wisper were the leaders in introducing pedelecs to UK police forces many years ago and have supplied several forces. In Central London the Met doesn't even need e-bikes, they boast of catching up with motorists using mobile phones or not wearing seat belts by pedalling their normal bikes since the traffic holds up the cars sufficiently!

Apparently the guilty drivers are often quite startled when a copper on a pushbike taps on their side window. :D

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i seen a guy today on one of them electric skateboards and was going way over 20mph the canal path is turning in to chaos!

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

Mars

Pedelecer
May 24, 2020
What is so special about Suffolk Chavs that the rozzers require an Apache?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you cant just buy a Apache gun ship as a police force bung 2 pilots in it and fly it around fully armed.

you need 100hrs of hours in a sim b4 they will even let you near it let alone armed pmsl.

it is one of the hardest helicopters to fly.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Harry flew one armed only with two A-Levels, achieving a grade B in art (Aboriginal-inspired A-level artworks) and D in geography, having decided to drop history of art after AS level. Started off as Co-pilot gunner before qualifying as commander. Harry compared operating the Apache's weapons systems to playing video games.

Mars

Pedelecer
May 24, 2020
Harry flew one armed only with two A-Levels, achieving a grade B in art (Aboriginal-inspired A-level artworks) and D in geography, having decided to drop history of art after AS level. Started off as Co-pilot gunner before qualifying as commander. Harry compared operating the Apache's weapons systems to playing video games.
What was Harry doing with his other arm?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
you cant just buy a Apache gun ship as a police force bung 2 pilots in it and fly it around fully armed.

you need 100hrs of hours in a sim b4 they will even let you near it let alone armed pmsl.

it is one of the hardest helicopters to fly.
Great video as nobody was apparently harmed.
When I was in the RN (1963 to 1973), the choppers we were using then had a "computer" (as we called it) to smooth out the flying.
I did not know this at the time".......important!
We used to get trips on aircraft, if we wanted to, and if there was enough time and interest from the pilots, who were usually very kind hearted.
I was sitting up front, just to get a good view, and we were probably at 1000 feet or maybe more, and the pilot asked if "I wanted to have a go!" Of course at 24 this was a dream come true, so I said yes.
He asked me to hold the stick gently, and he would make some maneuvers, and I could feel how the stick moved and what the effects were.
So we tried it out and I(in my mind!) began to get a feel for the aircraft.
Then he asked if I was ready, I sad yes, and he took his hands off the stick, and I was flying it!
I made some turns to port and starboard, which all (seemingly) went well, and my confidence was building, "I'M GOING TO FLYING SCHOOL!" I imagined......
Maybe after 5 or 10 minutes, the pilot asked me if I knew about the computer, "What computer?" I said.
Well its there to make controlling the aircraft, especially on long flights, less hard on the pilot, as it smooths out the flying.
I said "switch it on, sounds good!"
It is on he said! Would you like to try it with it off?
I said "OK, lets try it!"
As soon as it was off, the whole aircraft started shaking and pulsing, it was terrifying!
I asked him "What the f*ck is that?"
He answered. that is your heartbeat, transmitted through the stick, and the aircraft is doing what it is being told to do!!
All I could say was "Switch it back on please!" Which he did, and all was great again.
I asked why would anyone want to fly with it off, and he said, when precision flying is needed, picking up a swimmer or flying with a heavy load, the computer "interferes too much!"
He himself could not land on a ship safely with the computer switched on.....
Guessing only, the guy on the video maybe either had no computer or it wasn't switched on, but I am guessing only.
Flying a helicopter is really hard, or at least it was in the 60's - 70's.....today maybe easier, again guessing only!
Many thanks for reminding just how difficult they can be to fly. Great video.
Andy

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
I’m not trying to upset police cons tables here but to be brutally honest modern day police seem to have increased in weight somewhat.
I feel that ebikes is a win win situation, for the police it gives them a good tool to catch mobile phone drivers and keep the constables fit and healthy in the process.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flying a helicopter is really hard, or at least it was in the 60's - 70's.....today maybe easier, again guessing only.
They still are Andy, the single rotor support in particular being intrinsically unstable at all times.

Drones with multiple rotors are the opposite, with four or more rotors very stable, with eight rotors largely safe against rotor failures too.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
They still are Andy, the single rotor support in particular being intrinsically unstable at all times.

Drones with multiple rotors are the opposite, with four or more rotors very stable, with eight rotors largely safe against rotor failures too.
I know that I was inside shocked rigid when the pilot turned the "Computer" off!!!
I had hoped that it might be better today! Obviously a falso hope!
Thanks for your reply.
Andy
PS. The crash video certainly brought back some very old memories, and I am still alive to remember! Can't complain!

Reactions: flecc