UK Supplier for BBS02 750w?

hygroovy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 14, 2015
Informed folks of pedelecs, your wisdom please!

I know what I want, a BBS02 750w. I have a suitable donor bike. But the usual suppliers I see recommended for the UK (Eclipse and Woosh generally it seems), only have the 500w BBS02 available, and they also only offer one battery size (10AH). Could you recommend a supplier of the 750w version, and ideally one that offers a 15AH battery?

Any assistance very much appreciated.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
those kits are 250W only

hygroovy

Apr 14, 2015
Shemozzle, have you had any experience with pedalese? Of their customer service and so on?

trex, they do have a 750w listed - http://pedalease.co.uk/index.php?rt=product/product&path=67_71&product_id=13172292

Fordulike, yeah, thats exactly what I'm looking for, but they're showing out of stock.

Cheers for all the help though gents. I'm just surprised there are so few suppliers. I've seen some people mention these guys - http://em3ev.com/store/

But they're in Hong Kong, and its a lot of money! Don't suppose you've had any experience with them have you?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Shemozzle, have you had any experience with pedalese? Of their customer service and so on?

trex, they do have a 750w listed - http://pedalease.co.uk/index.php?rt=product/product&path=67_71&product_id=13172292

Fordulike, yeah, thats exactly what I'm looking for, but they're showing out of stock.

Cheers for all the help though gents. I'm just surprised there are so few suppliers. I've seen some people mention these guys - http://em3ev.com/store/

But they're in Hong Kong, and its a lot of money! Don't suppose you've had any experience with them have you?
Persevere with Eclipse, coz even though stock levels show zero at the moment, they drop it to zero when they are sorting stock out.
Send them an e-mail or call, they may still have some left.

Em3ev are indeed in China, but Paul, the boss, runs the company very well.
I bought a MAC kit from him many years ago, and the service was exceptional.
Even when I had an issue with the kit, Paul sorted it out quickly and professionally.
The only issue I see these days with buying from Em3ev, is that you'll end up paying over the odds on a kit, due to postage and import tax costs.

Why not go for the 36v 500w BBS02, if the 48v 750w is not available. I bet there's not much difference between the two. Still two in stock at Eclipse as I type.

Last edited:

hygroovy

Apr 14, 2015
My only issue is I have some really serious hills around here. I haven't tried either so I cant comment really, but I'm just worried about overheating the motor if its not powerful enough. The 500/750w seems to be the same motor, so I'm curious how much more powerful it will be with the higher wattage, or if it wont make much difference in the real world.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
My only issue is I have some really serious hills around here. I haven't tried either so I cant comment really, but I'm just worried about overheating the motor if its not powerful enough. The 500/750w seems to be the same motor, so I'm curious how much more powerful it will be with the higher wattage, or if it wont make much difference in the real world.
I'm hearing a few issues over at ES with the 48v 750w version blowing controllers, but nothing yet about the 36v 500w version having problems.
It could be as simple as not many people are using the 36v 500w, so less issues to report.

ES members don't seem to be using the 48v 750w at max PAS setting anyway, so I should imagine the slightly lower powered version would suffice.

I doubt there would be many hills that the 36v 500w at max PAS setting and granny gear, wouldn't be able to conquer.

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The old Panasonic 250 watt crank drive could climb anything in bath at a steady pace with a 100+kg passenger.
Unless you want to do 15 mph up a steep hill with no effort and even fatter don't worry the 500 watt will climb anything.

Reactions: Fordulike

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Shemozzle, have you had any experience with pedalease? Of their customer service and so on?
I am afraid not - it appears that they may have an ebay site the-e-bike-shop formally operated as mateen233 who use to sell hub motors that members have bought in the past.

Probably now has set up his own website to avoid paying ebay fees to become more competitive on price.

I suggest you email them to confirm UK stock levels, delivery schedules and seek out warranty terms and conditions before purchasing .

With the BBS motor some replacement parts are available - check the end pages of my original 8fun crank drive kit thread.

Last edited:

hygroovy

Apr 14, 2015
Thanks again for all your replies guys, they're really helpful. One thing I have thought about, is rather than just being able to mount the battery on the frame, being able to put it in a backpack and connecting it to the motor with a lead.

I have a really good weight-spreading backpack (a Kreiger R25), and it would reduce the unsprung weight of the bike (which is a hardtail). Can you guys see any issues with that? Does anywhere sell a suitable extension lead for this kind of application, or would I need to make one up?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you'll need to connect with an umbilical cord and Anderson connectors.
A word of warning, that umbilical cord may get you shot.

hygroovy

Apr 14, 2015
You mean get shot as one of them "terry-wrists"? Think I'll be ok in deepest darkest Wales. But I'll have a look into getting a suitable lead.

Thanks again guys, I'll try to put up a build thread when I get the kit!

Spotty dog

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2014
I brought a motor kit from em3ev last year it arrived as a mixed up order for someboby else in Vietnam with my name and address on it.
After sending an email with detailed photos and description of what I had recived a reply came asking me for details of what I had been sent.
This began a process of calls to couriers more emails wasting a great deal of my time sorting the mess out, with a request to let the carrier collect the parcel and not mention it had a very large lithium batt pack inside which would have been illegal.(I refused)
The final outcome was meeting a friend of Paul's on the motorway services near my home to return the goods my refund then followed it felt well dodgy and I won't use them again.
A few months later I recived a bill for import duty after speaking to the carriers they did not persue me for payment which incidentally the contents was described as machine parts value $120 !
If you had an issue with a kit from china how do u get them to sort it out, I purchased a BBS 01and excellent 15Ah 36v batt from woosh cycles it arrived in a few days with 12 mts garantee.
I have also had a BBS 02 750w 9 fet motor from eclipse both motors are running fine and both companys very nice to do business with.

hygroovy

Apr 14, 2015
Hi Spottydog, yeah, thats the kind of thing I'm worried about. Even with the best will in the world, things can get damaged in transit, or you may need to make warranty claims etc. Clearly people do have good experiences with em3ev and rate them highly, but I can see it just being a nightmare if things go wrong.

How do you find the difference between the BBS01 (250w/350w?) and the BBS02 750w? Is it a world away in terms of climbing ability?

Spotty dog

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2014
I have both motors set up with Nu Vinchi N360 hubs and harmony electric shifters on them, the 250w motor has an 18amp controller so is really 350w changing the controller did not make a huge diffrence to its performance.
The BBS 01is running on 42t x 17t gearing wheelset is 26" on 26 x 2.0 marathons.On a freshly charged battery the hill climbing is very good, hills I worked hard to maintain 5+mph on I go up at 12 to 15 mph.
A steep local hill I ride I used to climb at 3/4mph on my bottom 24" gear with the BBS 01 I average 8/9mph on a 36" gear.
After about 5 miles the very high level of assistance drops away but the 15Ah batt it has 29E cells still gives good assistance and range of about 30 miles.
The BBS 02 is a 750w 9fet 25amp unit I use 2 x 8Ah 6s zippy 30c lipos for power, gearing is 42t x 16t my rims are 26" but the fat 3.45 tyres i use are equal to 650b tyre circumfrence the range is only about 12 miles I set my lvc to 3.7v the power is always there and does not fade, the motor is noticably more powerful the hill I climb at 8/9mph on the BBS 01 the BBS 02 takes at 15mph and it would prob go up without me pedaling the BBS 01 would not.
I have also ridden it up 2 very steep hills I have never been able to cycle up it just powered up them with me pedaling moderately like a steam train.
Both bikes accelerate well on level roads my girlfriend is very happy on the BBS 01 I am bigger weight about 15st so I like having the extra grunt of the BBS 02 and it is very much stronger on steep hills.
For general riding I use level 2/3 (control unit is set for 9 levels), and boost my speed on throttle pick up in speed is rapid and strong.
The BBS 01 I use level 4 with a useful quite peppy boost off the throttle as the battery fades that increases to level 5/6 to maintain the assistance.
I like them both but if you want real hill climbing power the BBS 02 is the winner but if you live in a flatish area then a BBS 01 is good enough and less power hungry.

Reactions: mfj197

hygroovy

Apr 14, 2015
Just an update to say I've bought and fitted the kit now, and so far its bloody brilliant! Thanks for all your help guys.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Just an update to say I've bought and fitted the kit now, and so far its bloody brilliant! Thanks for all your help guys.
Good to hear. Who did you buy from in the end, which version did you get and did you need any special tools to tighten the Bafang bottom bracket lock rings?

hygroovy

Apr 14, 2015
Got it from Eclipse (beautifully packaged btw), got 750w 48v version with the 11.6 AH battery, and you do need a lock ring tool for the inner lock ring, but I already had one that came with a new rear shock for my motorbike. Fitted perfectly.

The only real issue I had with fitting was that the bottom bracket inner diameter on the bike's frame was not constant, and had a noticable "step" of about 0.5mm for 1/2 the circumference, right in the middle. This prevented me sliding the BBS into position. I expected better of Kona to be honest (its a 2005 Lana'i). But an hour of careful grinding with the dremel smoothed it out and everything else was plain sailing really.

Reactions: Fordulike