UK to Harmonise Electric Bike Law with Europe?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I never said 250w was the limit. 1000w would be more realistic and useful in my opinion. However, on the Gov.uk website, it clearly states.
  • must have a maximum power output of 250 watts
Currently the European Commission are proposing that pedelecs should have compulsory insurance, something that we are all fighting against naturally, since that is likely to bring registration and number plates. Obviously insurance compliance couldn't be policed without number plates and user registration.

Your proposal would certainly justify that happening, the last thing any of us want.

Information Link

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And I still say 250w which is the maximum continuous rated power is not enough.
You keep repeating this but it's not true, you are quoting poorly worded type approval exemption law, contradicted by the technical regulations.

Run of the mill pedelecs deliver between 400 and 500 watts of usable power, some much more. I and others in this forum have owned a legal pedelec which two of us have measured at just over 1000 watts gross, meaning around 700 watts at the wheel. Add a rider's 200 watts or so and it's a continuous power that a top racing cyclist can only deliver for seconds.

You state that comparison is ridiculous due to the pedelec's weight, but you are obviously not thinking this through. Take a typical 75 kilo rider, then add first an 8 kilo race bike, then a 24 kilo pedelec.

The first case is 83 kilos, the second 99 kilos, under 20% heavier so not the big deal the bike weight differences make it seem. The pedelec's added 400/500 watts power easily deals with that extra 16 kilos weight with loads of power to spare.