Ultra Motor A2B???

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think you are describing the British government, for it's they who apply our taxes and excessively strict regulation. For example, e-bikes in Britain are restricted to over 14 year olds, no other country in Europe finds that necessary. Another example, the recommendation to remove power limits, on hearing of this the DfT's knee jerk reaction was that is unlikely to be acceptable to them.

It's Britain which is the excessively regulated nanny state. Frankly I dislike all governance, but ours is one of the worst in the western world for loss of freedoms.

Last edited:

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I'll probably upset Tonaro owners now! One member in this forum has more knowledge of current and very recent e-bikes than anyone else, having owned and ridden a wide variety of them. With a friend they recently rode a pair of Tonaros on a decent length run and they found them low powered compared with the mainstream, and well down on the most powerful hub motor models.
Oh, surely not Flecc? Not long ago, some owners of these machines were telling us they were fantastic bikes and voting for them as the ebike of the year 2011.

I jest of course but this is one of the problems with ebike recommendations from owners in a forum such as this. When someone first rides an ebike, any ebike, they are usually impressed and use words like fantastic, etc. Unfortunately, the context in which those people are impressed needs to be considered. An ebike may well be described as fantastic if compared to say, riding a non-powered bike or a 25 year old donkey.

Fortunately, there are forum members for whom I have great respect who are able to give perspective to some of the outrageous claims made by delighted owners of what in reality are no more than basic but adequate ebikes. In cases where the delighted owner may claim previous experience of other ebikes, it's usually the case that the previous machines were similar, budget-priced, heavy Chinese imports.

Besides those forum members whose opinions I respect, I also read independent reviews from A2B magazine and any German material I can find on the internet as I think it helps to get a bigger picture and reduces the possibility of biased reporting of a product. Actually going into a bike shop, particularly when one turns up on an ebike, and test-riding their demo machines is a great way to gain perspective and doing so has certainly put me off two hub-driven bikes that I had previously thought seemed ok at the price.

I shan't mention the makes of those ebikes for fear of incurring the wrath of some owners who may well be delighted by their performance. Suffice to say they are still readily available and haven't changed much over the last 3 years.

As for new members of this forum looking for help in choosing an ebike, my advice is to weigh up any recommendations from existing owners in conjunction with information gleaned elsewhere. Then test-ride the bike of your choice with at least one other at a similar price. If possible, try something light (and probably expensive!) just to see why some bikes are a lot dearer. Do not buy anything from internet sellers without premises unless you are happy to perform repairs yourself and can do without a solid warranty.

Above all else, check out the price of a replacement battery so there are no surprises in store for you when that time comes round. Yesterday, I saw a full-sus MTB in Tesco for £45.00. It had pigeon-poo welding, gears and chainset that looked like they were made from solder with a name that definitely wasn't Shimano or S-ram. I overheard the person standing next to me say to his friend, "That's fantastic!" Well.....yes, I suppose it is fantastic in a way as a typical replacement battery for an ebike probably costs 10 times that amount!

Indalo

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
And be attacked by a pack of savage Poms ;)
Dont worry Dave.....Me and ma Poms are 'chilling' today after a long, hard, wet, cold working

weekend at Wonderwool, Wales......

But I still do love my Tonaro........to each their own..... :)

Lynda :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I think you are describing the British government, for it's they who apply our taxes and excessively strict regulation. For example, e-bikes in Britain are restricted to over 14 year olds, no other country in Europe finds that necessary. Another example, the recommendation to remove power limits, on hearing of this the DfT's knee jerk reaction was that is unlikely to be acceptable to them.

It's Britain which is the excessively regulated nanny state. Frankly I dislike all governance, but ours is one of the worst in the western world for loss of freedoms.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."

Cornelius Tacitus (55-117 A.D.) (shares my beloved Dads Christian name)

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."

Cornelius Tacitus (55-117 A.D.) (shares my beloved Dads Christian name)
Blimey Eddie, I didn't know you were so well-read! My grandfather was named Moses and that's true!.....not the one in the bible as I'm not that old although Flecc might remember that one!

Indalo

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Blimey Eddie, I didn't know you were so well-read!

Indalo

Indeed...Dear boy. In fact I am running out of Mills & Boon on this holiday:confused:;):p

blacktiger

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 28, 2012
St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Well, I went off to have a test ride today and I'm sorry to say that I'm completely underwhelmed by them all. Haven't got the zip I expected. I suppose I was expecting too much from 1/3hp. I tried several different bikes including A2B, Wisper, Go-Ped and a knackered old cheaper one that was completely dangerous.
The other thing that put me off is that it seems that the bend in my dodgy knee is not enough to ride a push bike any more.
So, thanks for all the replies to this thread but it looks like I'll be going in a different direction.
Cheers.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wise move blacktiger, if one like the A2B isn't up to it, you won't be satisfied with any legal e-bike. They are more motor assisted pedalling rather than pedal assist motoring. A moped would probably be more suitable for you.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Pity about your knee Blacktiger.
If you're after tax and fuel savings then maybe a scooter such as our Juicy Bike Retro Li may be what you're looking for. Though the price is somewhat higher than an e-bike it does have decent speed, comfort and range.
I'd be interested to hear what you think.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Tell you what Bob..... that is a really really nice retro looking scooter you have there.

Not that I am looking to leave this forum for the electric scooter world :)
but... if I was.....I would have to try that one......BTW....how long does it take to recharge the batteries ?

blacktiger

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 28, 2012
St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Juicy Bike Retro Li may be what you're looking for. Though the price is somewhat higher than an e-bike it does have decent speed, comfort and range.
I'd be interested to hear what you think.
No thanks. The sums are like this. I've got about 4 years until I want to retire (if those sums add up) and I spend about £500 a year on Diesel getting to and from work. So spending £2500 doesn't save me anything.

Hi If you come and test ride our bikes it will change your mind Please call

Frank
I think only if it's got an 800cc triple.

Last edited:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Tell you what Bob..... that is a really really nice retro looking scooter you have there.

Not that I am looking to leave this forum for the electric scooter world :)
but... if I was.....I would have to try that one......BTW....how long does it take to recharge the batteries ?

Pretty much exactly the same as an electric bike: 4 to 6 hours for the full 30ah, 60 volts, 3000 watts!
You've great taste Lynda!