Unavoidable Bicycle Badger Collision

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Broke my wrist in two places, plus dislocated it to such an extent that it was hanging on by a thread. In hospital since Thursday - plate fitted, but only after two very painful attempts to put the wrist back in place (under local anaesthetic) - but because the "Ball" joint had broken, it kept popping out. Then I had agonising abdominal post plate fitting surgery pain, due to blood clot. I can't avoid badgers which shoot straight out of undergrowth and directly in front of my bike wheel. Saved by helmet. BEWARE BADGERS! Ultrasonic device needed for bike!

Reactions: Stan464

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
Ouch. Sounds very painful and very bad luck.
Hope you heal quickly and the bike isn't damaged.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I've had a few close calls on my way home from work at night. I have come very close and now know that I was very lucky not to hit one.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Broke my wrist in two places, plus dislocated it to such an extent that it was hanging on by a thread. In hospital since Thursday - plate fitted, but only after two very painful attempts to put the wrist back in place (under local anaesthetic) - but because the "Ball" joint had broken, it kept popping out. Then I had agonising abdominal post plate fitting surgery pain, due to blood clot. I can't avoid badgers which shoot straight out of undergrowth and directly in front of my bike wheel. Saved by helmet. BEWARE BADGERS! Ultrasonic device needed for bike!

I hope that you manage to heal quickly and well.
Who knew that Badgers could be so dangerous? :eek:
regards
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ouch a painful and horrible injury, I broke my ulna a dozen years ago and was in plaster for over 10 weeks. Recovery will be longwinded so wish you well.

On another note what happened to Bertie was he /she injured ?

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK

Sorry to hear about your injuries. How was the badger?

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
I had no chance, but neither did the badger. I hit that large badger with 30kg in a rucksack, plus another 32kg in bike pannier bags, my electric bike and my bodyweight. It's probably badly injured, I think I hit the badger's ribs or lower third... I heard it scream. I couldn't see it when I got up.

I can't move the bike to inspect it, but it will take a very long time at my age, for my wrist to heal. If indeed, it actually does heal - my cycling days may be over for good.

I needed an ultrasonic device on the bike.

BEWARE OF BADGERS! You have been warned.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Me and a mate had a run in with a badger suddenly darting out in front of us whilst travelling up to a cycle meet up in Skye..

Unfortunately for the badger we were in a VW Golf at the time.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
It's squirrels around here. They have the habit of darting out in front of me on the bike paths, then stupidly pausing and going back the same way they came.

• Agree
Reactions: Stan464 and flecc

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Ouch. I had a tram line leap out and grab my front wheel a year ago. I had cycling gloves on, but one gripped the road while my arm kept going, resulting in a bad sprain. I think it would have been worse with 30kg extra on my back.
It was 6 months before it was healed.
Maybe its safer to put weight on the bike, in panniers or a trailer.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
My sympathy, hope you make a good recovery, but how fast were you going to do that much damage? Round here it is more likely to be sheep, but at least they are softer.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Wide angle lenses (action cameras) makes the footage look faster. I was travelling downhill with a very heavy rucksack and pannier bags, consciously slowing down for safety - it's a farly narrow road, usually many cars whizz by the other way - keeping to about 12mph. The weight carried caused more damage, than there would have been. The video has been brightened, I didn't see the badger till it was brightly illuminated and too late to brake or swerve. Jumped out of a bush directly in front of my wheel. My arm is suspended from a ceiling hook right now - plaster cast keeps feeling very uncomfortably tight when not suspended, as my wrist swells up within. Even more pain as it drains away. Avoid experiencing similar, by installing ultrasonic wildlife deterrents - the 12v versions for trucks might do the job, with a converter which won't kill your ebike... as to which converter types or brands are safe, I have no idea.

BEWARE OF BADGERS!!

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
I had a suckler cow jump out on me today while I was riding on an unfenced road beside Hadrian's Wall near where I live. Must have weighed at least 500 KG. Fortunately It was daylight and I was half expecting the stupid beggar to jump the wrong way. It is the same with sheep on unfenced roads. Last year while riding between Middleton in Teesdale and Alston on one of my motorbikes, and approaching a mob of five sheep at about 55 miles an hour, one of the idiot creatures decided the best thing was to run in front of the approaching motorcycle and the other four thought they'd better follow up. I braked as hard as I dared (no ABS on that bike) and I missed the last sheep's backside by about three feet. I would certainly have been brought down if I had clipped a ten stone sheep.

I hope the OP has a speedy recovery. You just never know when a really nice ride or drive is going to instantaneously turn into a disaster.

I took this photo on the same day and the road was similar to this one:

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wonderful flecc, is this in your S/London /Surrey garden ?
Yes, it's in a limb of the estate I live on that's between the Selsdon Wood Nature Reserve and Bears Wood/Frith Wood, with the Surrey border at the end where there's a golf course and a mixed farm. The Roe Deer come into the garden too, this one on a recent Sunday morning:

Roe Deer Buck 2.jpg

Reactions: Nev

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It is nice when the wildlife visit us and gives so much pleasure. My main daily/dusk visitor is Vulpes vulpes and has become a fixture over the years, in years gone by the cubs have played and visited. Last year the cubs were shy but there chirping during playtime could be heard down the garden end.
The garden birds are an enjoyment more so when I catch a glimpse of the sparrow hawk or little Jenny, Bob always appears when I'm pottering in the garden so gets a nice handful of mealworms, for a change this year I did see the fledglings.

This year something not seen before are 3 or 4 starlings that have taken up residence with the sparrows and tits in the large cypress.