Unbelievably bad experience with a Haibike SDURO Trekking S RX

Scott Nelson

Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2016
Wookey Hole
I have Magura brakes on my Rose - it's the German connection.

Mine have been reliable, but the mechanic in my local bike shop told me about the plastic internals which he doesn't rate very highly having had to fix a few over the years.
I can't wait until Hope comes out with an eBrake! (We have Hopes on all our mountain bikes and LOVE them!)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I can't wait until Hope comes out with an eBrake! (We have Hopes on all our mountain bikes and LOVE them!)
Disc brakes are one of Shimano's better efforts, even the budget ones are reliable and work well.

The Shimanos I've had worked better than the Maguras, which are OK but don't have brilliant stopping power or feel.

Reactions: Scott Nelson

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
I did not join just to moan. So you are 100% wrong and I resent your assumption. I joined to find out if other people have had a similar experience/problem, to get some advice, and to warn others about this issue in case they were thinking about buying a Haibike.
Appears not and resent away.

I did a search for "Haibike faults" and "Trekking Faults", NOTHING, tumble weeds blowing through.

Lots of us have Haibikes and longer than three weeks so no need to warn off.

Seems another case of start moaning and hopefully someone else will fix my problem.

Scott Nelson

Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2016
Wookey Hole
Appears not and resent away.

I did a search for "Haibike faults" and "Trekking Faults", NOTHING, tumble weeds blowing through.

Lots of us have Haibikes and longer than three weeks so no need to warn off.

Seems another case of start moaning and hopefully someone else will fix my problem.
Yes, I was so hopeful that one of the members here would come over and mend my brake. And I especially wanted to warn current owners not to buy the bike they already have. That makes a lot of sense.

• Agree
Reactions: Live_Steam_Mad
D

Deleted member 4366

The aluminium on those Magura brakes doesn't break from normal use. Clearly, it's been bashed at some time. The questions are by whom, how and when?

If the part weren't strong enough, that failure would be all over the internet like Kalkhoff broken motors, but it isn't, which means that it's something special that happened to your bike.

If it broke on the first day, you could reasonably claim that it had been bashed before you got it, but if I was the judge in your case with the above evidence in front of me, I think I'd be pointing my finger in your direction. Sorry, I'm still empathetic with your grief, but I don't think you can blame Haibike or the dealer for this one.

You have one get-out. If you look at the broken surface and it's uniform crystaline appearance, it was made properly, but if there's any sign of an inclusion or void that caused it to crack or break, it's down to Magura.

Scott Nelson

Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2016
Wookey Hole
The aluminium on those Magura brakes doesn't break from normal use. Clearly, it's been bashed at some time. The questions are by whom, how and when?

If the part weren't strong enough, that failure would be all over the internet like Kalkhoff broken motors, but it isn't, which means that it's something special that happened to your bike.

If it broke on the first day, you could reasonably claim that it had been bashed before you got it, but if I was the judge in your case with the above evidence in front of me, I think I'd be pointing my finger in your direction. Sorry, I'm still empathetic with your grief, but I don't think you can blame Haibike or the dealer for this one.
Thank you for your response, but the part that broke is not aluminium, it's a plastic of some kind. Have you never had something plastic just break at some point in your life? Trust me, there are all kinds of defects that can occur during the manufacturing process...

And it may not be all over the internet because this was part of a bad batch and not too many have been sold yet.

And if it had been bashed as you say - bashed hard enough to cause a total mechanical failure - wouldn't you expect to see evidence of said bash?

But if we imagine that it did somehow get bashed when I wasn't looking, is it worth creating an unhappy customer - who just bought two of your bikes - over a part that costs £2? Is that a good business strategy?

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
You bought your bike in France and want Raleigh the UK importers to fix it. Surely even if you had a valid claim you should he bad mouthing your french supplier and he has the solution to the problem.
However I have just searched on line and cannot find another instance anywher of a broken Magura MT4E lever. So to come on here and try a damage two reputable companies in the hope of getting a free brake lever is out of order.
There is a very easy way out of this problem !

Screenshot_2016-10-26-07-07-03.png

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Wwooooaaa. I do think you're being a wee bit hard on the OP.

Not overly impressed with his bike shop. They're the ones who've made a fair profit and I'd expect them to fix it if there's no evidence accidental damage. Surely it's not a massive cost ??
It should be the shop that is the highlight of the thread title, not the brand. This brake lever is a part made not by Haibike. As for the part breaking, even the best of quality controlled manufacturing produces failures. For a part that retails at €37, the shop should have fixed with an apology and a complimentary accessory.

Last edited:

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
You've been on the receiving end of a 'Gallic shrug' haven't you Scott?
I'm guessing you don't speak french very well? You need to go back to the shop with lots of 'encules, merdes and putans!

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Nelson

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Don't think the OP has asked Raleigh to fix it?
Raleigh is Haibike importer in the UK so any Haibike warranty claims in the UK would handled by them and I presume their costs would be refunded by Haibike . However if this is a manufacturing fault then Magura needs to know and inspect the lever as they may have to issue a re-call. The OP's best course of action would be to email Magura and send the the pictures.

However I hadn't spotted it was an "S" class bike so that may change things.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
However I hadn't spotted it was an "S" class bike so that may change things.
Exactly, Raleigh don't import this model of bike. Additionally as it was an S Class AFAIK the brake levers contain additional switches so Raleigh wouldn't hold stock of them anyway.

Scott Nelson

Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2016
Wookey Hole
You bought your bike in France and want Raleigh the UK importers to fix it. Surely even if you had a valid claim you should he bad mouthing your french supplier and he has the solution to the problem.
However I have just searched on line and cannot find another instance anywher of a broken Magura MT4E lever. So to come on here and try a damage two reputable companies in the hope of getting a free brake lever is out of order.
There is a very easy way out of this problem !

View attachment 16099
Thank you for your snide remarks. But as your reading comprehension seems to lacking I will point out that I never wrote that I am expecting Raleigh to fix this. I took the problem to bike shop in France where we bought both bikes.

Also, had this brake lever failed at another moment (on a downhill or approaching a stoplight) I may have been killed or injured. To me that makes it worthwhile posting about the failure I had in order to warn others that it could possibly happen to them.

As far as damaging their reputations, it is my right as a consumer to write about my experience as long as it is the truth.

• Agree

Scott Nelson

Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2016
Wookey Hole
You've been on the receiving end of a 'Gallic shrug' haven't you Scott?
I'm guessing you don't speak french very well? You need to go back to the shop with lots of 'encules, merdes and putans!
Thanks! You could be right! But my wife speaks French fluently and they were very friendly so I doubt they are being rude/unhelpful.

Reactions: chris130256