Unbelievably bad experience with a Haibike SDURO Trekking S RX

Scott Nelson

Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2016
Wookey Hole
The shop is the one who knows the customer, knows the bike, and its them who decide if its reasonable. The brand is just blamed when the decision doesn't go the way the customer wants.
Well, I hope this shop is not that dumb. If the negative reviews I will leave for them steer just one person away from buying from them, they will lose money.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Nelson

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F24042

The bike is under 12 month guarantee? The bike shop fixes the brake. What they are saying is that you knocked it and broke it, it isn't a faulty part so you need an expert to look at it, the same that look at cars after accidents.

Tell the bike shop you are going to get an expert to prove that you didn't break the brake (yes I did that one on purpose ;)) and they will be footing the bill for the legal procedure road you are going down. They won't be as nice and smiley but you should get a brand new brake lever.

You can ride that bike registered as a moped in France in the UK if you are a French resident (@flecc, less than six months a year in the UK I think?). Don't forget your helmet!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You can ride that bike registered as a moped in France in the UK if you are a French resident (@flecc, less than six months a year in the UK I think?). Don't forget your helmet!
Yes, that's our limit. With Brexit even that might not be allowed!

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Any vehicle is allowed to be used in the UK as long as its registered and plated in the home country. It also has to be insured in the home country and have a minimum of RTA cover in the UK. It has to has passed any MOT or same such requirements that the home country would insist upon if used there.

Then the max time allowed in the UK is 6 months within any 12 month period.

• Informative
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
AFAIK, it does not matter much that you reside in France, you can't ride an S-pedelec in the UK.

Reactions: Scott Nelson

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
"I took the problem to bike shop in France where we bought both bikes."

From your first few posts you seem to say you've spoken to them on the phone and / or email.

With a broken brake it will be tricky but if you could somehow get the bike to the local shop where you bought it and show them the problem in person that might help bolster your case.

Don't go mentioning Basil Fawlty like - Brexit and Agincourt and see how it goes... If they fail to see good ol' English sense tell them their mother was a hamster and their father smelt of elderberries! (or was that the other way round... ;-)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
AFAIK, it does not matter much that you reside in France, you can't ride an S-pedelec in the UK.

good job mine can go faster than one of those then pmsl ;)

Reactions: LeighPing

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Will they believe I'm a resident of France if I have a British passport??
It's not you...it's the bike. If you were stopped you would have to prove when you brought it into the country.

But

To be honest the chances of Mr Plod knowing what a S pedelec is is doubtful.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Why not? If it's registered and insured in France. Plated as such with RTA cover in UK. That's not the same as owning one and riding it unplayed

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You can ride a moped, I know people who have. And if it is registered and insured in France it is a moped not an s-pedelec, they don't exist here before next year...

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Nope a French thing, s-pedelec is Dutch, German, Swiss, Austrian... French law changes next year with new type approval. We still don't know what the helmet law will be, for the moment it is motorbike helmet only which is why I don't have one (a moped with pedals).

Scott Nelson

Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2016
Wookey Hole
With a broken brake it will be tricky but if you could somehow get the bike to the local shop where you bought it and show them the problem in person that might help bolster your case.)
Agreed, but frankly it's not worth my time to go there in person. Plus they don't have the parts to fix it on hand. So I'd have to go there (at least) three times! No, if they won't act reasonably then their company will get plastered with negative reviews all over the internet. That I can do from my couch.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
post it on there fb pages haibike and magura ;)

i had no warranty on my bike and still got a new xd hub after posting a vid on crank bros fb page.

got link to send it back the next day lol