Unhappy surprise

Paul Wrighton

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
After less than two weeks gocycle ownership...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Once local scum notice a nice bike regularly they will follow or word is put about with other local scum members, your nice GC was targeted.

• Agree
Reactions: D C

Paul Wrighton

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
Once local scum notice a nice bike regularly they will follow or word is put about with other local scum members, your nice GC was targeted.
This much I know... I already gave notice on that garage, so this confirms that. The cupboards security is less convenient, must break down bike, but once I've upgraded per consultation I'll relax... So glad I had insurance, even if not needed this time

D

Deleted member 33385

This much I know... I already gave notice on that garage, so this confirms that. The cupboards security is less convenient, must break down bike, but once I've upgraded per consultation I'll relax... So glad I had insurance, even if not needed this time
I can't believe you kept it in a garage with such rubbish locks and thin doors! (All locks are rubbish when used with rubbish doors). The locks which usually feature on those doors are terrible! But as usual, thieves have used the brute force approach and have gone at the door with a long crowbar/pry - a friend of mine installed a steel door at his shop, but he made the error of installing single point locking ie one bolt into the steel frame. A few seconds with a long crowbar - they were in and away. Heavy guage steel doors with multipoint locking take far longer to break, and they usually don't try. I doubt that a DNA+ label would have put them off in the least! They don't seem to have got very far with the door peeling, perhaps they were disturbed? If they can't get in very fast without drawing too much attention, they tend to give up. But they often circle back later to try again... Repeat burglaries and burglary attempts are extremely common.

Is this garage near your home? I don't want to worry you, but I'd be mindful of anyone watching the house - it'd be easy to follow you to your home. They might think that anyone who has such a nice looking bike may have more nice looking things. They're much less likely to attempt a break-in if you have an alarm system, but you probably already know that.

Last edited:

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
My wife is letting the bike live in the garden for a limited time.
I doubt it will be in the garden very long.
Get it safely indoors or lose it. From experience. Even with insurance you will not get back the ££££'s you invested once the insurance company have invoked the wriggle out clause.

D

Deleted member 33385

I doubt it will be in the garden very long.
Get it safely indoors or lose it. From experience. Even with insurance you will not get back the ££££'s you invested once the insurance company have invoked the wriggle out clause.
Insurance is all well and good after the event (if said wriggle out clause is not exploited), but prevention works out far less traumatic... plus insurance as a business is mostly a scam - the (former) world's richest man Warren Buffet built his fortunes largely on insurance profits.

D

Deleted member 33385

I doubt they would have paid out, I had a garage like that and had to fit a 5 lever lock at each of the four corners to obtain cover. You were very lucky, another few minutes and it would have been gone.
Yep, a garage door with 4 separate 5 lever locks in all four corners would be a b*****rd to get past, take too long and be very noisy business indeed on a thin garage door - it'd be like beating a large drum. They'd need two thieves with large crowbars (preferably four), to have any hope of a quick and dirty theft. Or use two car jacks at either side of the door... or they could drill hooks into the door and pull the door out of the locks using a stolen Range Rover, or tunnel up through the floor, but I think my imagination might be running slightly wild at this point. They could escape in minis.

Last edited:

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, sorry to hear about that.

Kryptonite do floor anchors that you bolt to your floor and chain your bike to it.

I have one kicking about unused if you want to make me an offer.

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
I have fitted a door defender similar to this. Fortunately, our garage is next to our house and we have the advantage, if you so much as sneeze in your front garden it will be seen by neighbours with nothing better to do. But that does have its advantages.

British Made Black Powder Coated Garage Defender Master - Best Garage Security

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have fitted a door defender similar to this. Fortunately, our garage is next to our house and we have the advantage, if you so much as sneeze in your front garden it will be seen by neighbours with nothing better to do. But that does have its advantages.

My neighbour's garage had one of these and it was easily beaten.

The thieves merely crowbarred the garage door a couple of inches inwards at the base to beyond the lock's base plate, then crowbarred the base plate up to wrench it's fixing bolt and insert out of the concrete.

They left the lock and bolt etc as evidence of how they did it.

Last edited:

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020

These are good - I have one. In a line of garages, it will make a casual thief go for the next garage. However, for a pro tealeaf it may suggest there's something worth stealing. Tricky.

Paul Wrighton

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
Believe it or not the garage is scheduled for demolition!

Bike is basically in house since there's zero access to garden.

I plan on making the coal hole cupboard VERY secure. And that will be all I can do.

Incidentally I had a shriek alarm 100db padlock on the bike and although I can't know, its possIble that was the thing that caused them to desist. Although round the block from me there are other flats near that garage.

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
It's pointless trying to target harden a garage in a block. If the door looks too much like hard work they'll go in through the roof.

Get it elsewhere, locked in a proper building with good security and decent natural surveillance.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Paul Wrighton

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
As I said, it's at home now. Garage is being demolished and I have vacated it. Where I'm improving security is on a cupboard to the front of my hiuse

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
A few too many years ago a mate of mine had a remotely located garage,
One morning he found his the door bent like the op’s, that afternoon I fitted two hasps and staples to the concert floor and the steel door, one at the bottom of each corner. A few weeks of feeling comfortable passed and then on opening the secure door he found no bike ? the bricks had been carefully (and quietly) removed from the back wall !
As far as the thieves were concerned it was worth all the effort for a shiny new Harley Davidson ;)