Unrestricted Forte

Floyd

Just Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Hello all.

As a potential Forte owner I was interested in this quote from a review on the 50 cycles site:

The ace up the sleeve of the Forte is concealed under the bottom bracket. Turn the bike over and fish out two wires. Disconnect then zoom, zoom, zoom! 50cycles stress that this 'turbo' mode is for off-road use only, to comply with UK regulations. The extra turn of speed meant that I needed to put on an extra layer of clothing for my Sprint morning commutes!
I wonder if anyone here knows:

1 How easy is this to do for a complete novice?

2 Apart from the legal aspect, what are the potential pit falls of doing this - i.e damage to the bike and/or battery over the medium/long term?

Many thanks

Floyd.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Hi Floyd,

I would imagine the wires to be disconnected are similar to those on the Torq which take the form of a small 2 pin connector covered by shrunk on sleeving, red coloured on the Torq. Its simply a matter of carefully cutting away the sleeving with a sharp knife, pressing the small latch on the connector and pulling the halves of the connector apart. It's advisable to seal the disconnected connector halves with insulation tape, heat shrink tube or even cling film to prevent water ingress and corrosion which could cause problems if ever the restrictor was re-instated.

There is little risk of long term damage as the electrical components are designed for the US market where restrictors are unheard of and the controller software permits a much greater power output than even a de-restricted UK bike.

The only real pitfall is the reduced range that will result, some Torq owners report only 15 miles range when using max de-restricted performance and the more powerful F series motor will probably not manage that in a worst case such as high speeds in a hilly area. My own Torq experience is rather better than that but I don't use max performance all the time.

Last edited:

Floyd

Just Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Thanks for that Ian.

Would there be an easy way of installing a "switch" to go from restricted to unrestricted power, just to keep it legal?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, you can do that and a number of owners have done. Just a single pole on/off switch of any sort will do the job, though strictly speaking it's illegal since it's under the rider's control.

A motorcycle switch could do the job and here's a company that supplies them:

Switches.

Last edited:

hobo1

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2007
Bingley, West Yorkshire.
The shrunk on sleeve covering the 2 pin connector was black on my Forza, and not as easy to find as the red one on the Torq.
I have been doing 20 mile + journeys with the Forza deresticted with hill climbs & juice left :- it's just a matter of common sense: distance trip, easy on the throttle & reasonable pedaling.

David.

Last edited:

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Handlebar switch

Yes, you can do that and a number of owners have done. Just a single pole on/off switch of any sort will do the job, though strictly speaking it's illegal since it's under the rider's control.

A motorcycle switch could do the job and here's a company that supplies them:

Switches.
Look under Yamaha WR400 and YZ400.
I found the same switch on an American site and it cost about £30. You would not believe the shipping charge. I fitted it to my Torq and it worked fine though I don't ride in the rain.
The UK price is £15-26: the shipping cant be that much but the web site is not helpful on that until you have logged in or registered. I admit to being lazy.
The most important thing is it looks quite neat and fits a Torq handlebar.
Peter

Martinm

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
Would the cable be the same on the Forza model ? I received mine at the weekend and have looked under the bike which appears to have a maze of wires and i dont want to disconnect the wrong one ! From what i can see i have two possible choices which i can unplug ....one leads to the ezee assistance control on the handle bars the other goes to the side of the front wheel then onto the motor (i think):confused: .

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Martin,

the Forza and Forte electrical specifications are very similar and both bikes can be de-restricted so I would expect the method of de-restricting to be the same.

If it's the same as the Torq the wire comes from the controller but goes nowhere, ending in the shrink tube sleeved connector which simply shorts the wires together. As I recall it was tucked up behind the other wires in that area and not clearly visible.

hobo1

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2007
Bingley, West Yorkshire.
Would the cable be the same on the Forza model ? I received mine at the weekend and have looked under the bike which appears to have a maze of wires and i dont want to disconnect the wrong one ! From what i can see i have two possible choices which i can unplug ....one leads to the ezee assistance control on the handle bars the other goes to the side of the front wheel then onto the motor (i think):confused: .
I can understand your dilemma Martinm, I knew it's appearance having disconnected the red covered one on the torq. The black covered shrunk on sleeve is harder to detect. It Juts out from one of the looms like a small appendix. When it is pulled down through the frame you can feel the lumpy connector through the shrunk sleeve: then proceed as Ian has described.

Cheers David.

Last edited:

Martinm

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
Thanks for the replies...having a closer look i have 3 options ...2 cables seem to have the same size connector to unplug - 1 red covered 1 black covered (the red one doesnt go anywhere at one end) and the third is a larger connector.

Martinm

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
Thanks David - It was the red one. I didn't think it would make so much difference but it does even on the flat ground !

Floyd

Just Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Got my Forte, had a bit of root around and can't seem to find one that juts out like an appendix and goes nowhere. They all seem to connect to leads at both ends. All have black shrunk on sleeves.

To narrow my choices, there do seem to be 2 different size of connectors. 2 Are considerbly stand out bigger with a visible flat connector underneath, while the other 3 are smaller and clearly cylindrical.

Any suggestions?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Dear Floyd

The latest Forte does not have the de-restriction capability, and was taken off our spec pages for now.

We found the power produced on this model could sometimes cut the battery out when speeding up a hill so we held it off this model until we made the changes on the battery.

Any of our owners with this combination have been advised to ease off when hill climbing to prevent cut out.

Scott
Simpler to put in an NiMh battery though! It wouldn't cut out then. :D

Bet you haven't tried it. :p

Tony P

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 4, 2007
Slightly off theme but relevant I think!?!

I purchased a Forte recently when diagnosed with a form of epilepsy which affects only my sense of smell, yet still compromises my driving rights under DVLA rules (short of lengthy appeal procedures!). I am very pleased with it to the point that I may well sell the Rolls anyway now because even at my age and as a lifetime smoker, I can still make it up some otherwise, potentially arduous, not to say impossible Surrey hills and faced with Mr Brown's raid on private pensions, I may yet still be able to get around for a few more years. Ironically, my street cred also remains high, as people seem just as interested in my e-bike as in my prior 'mid life crisis' Harley!! There is, however, one small blot on my horizon.... the 15.5 mph max is no big deal, as journeys within the now proven 30 mile range of my Forte do not take significantly longer than by car but in the real world undulating terrain creates shocks, when a 'governor' is fitted! One crests a hill at say 9mph and then without thinking one hits 16.5 mph down the other side and then suddenly bam one hits the next gradient without power assistance and the pedals lock due to one's inacapicity to keep them turning. Yes I know gear down in preparation as would any deraillieur expert but what would the general advice be and what exactly is the legal poistion on this? Is it illegal merely to have the capability or to use it so to speak?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm not quite clear if you're referring to running derestricted Tony.

If so, it's technically illegal even if it's not being used for speeds over the legal limit, it's the capability while riding that breaks the law. With the restrictor connected, there's no capability while riding, so no law is broken.

Tony P

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 4, 2007
Thanks Flecc ! As my post suggested, I am happy with my 'average speed' per journey within the somewhat limited, yet, in lifestyle terms, highly significant range and I guess I may be better served to concentrate on my, as yet, rather limited technique, as opposed to the apparently easy option of derestricting!!!

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Speed Limits and Speed Limitation

I'm not quite clear if you're referring to running derestricted Tony.

If so, it's technically illegal even if it's not being used for speeds over the legal limit, it's the capability while riding that breaks the law. With the restrictor connected, there's no capability while riding, so no law is broken.
A comparison with Motor Cars (amongst other forms of transport) being able to do more than 70 mph but are not illegal will spring to the minds of some readers.
It is "ILLEGAL" for an electric Bike to be "ABLE/CAPABLE" of exceeding 15.5 mph/25 kph.
"Are the Torq, Forza and Forte ILLEGAL because they have the CAPABILITY"? (presumably the Sprint 7 does not have this).
It will be a sad day if the law is applied in the future to all electric cycles which, retroactively, were 'born' with this facility.
Retroactively! The majority of models of e-bikes currently on the market were introduced after this law was enacted. The muddle created by our own Dept of Transport (whatever it is now called) will not help the cycle owners' case if the D of T cynically chose to CLARIFY the law.

It may be a case for one's friendly QC.
Yours in gloom
Peter

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Peter, I wasn't aware of any muddles in the DOT regulations on the speeds which our bikes are supposed to be capable of. As far as I am aware the only confusion is between the EU regs which only allow pedelecs with a max speed of 25kph and the UK regs which allow 15mph which for all practical purposes is the same speed. Any bike capable of exceeding this speed simply does not meet either the EU or UK regulations present or past.

I'm fairly sure the bikes are perfectly legal as supplied because they require physical modification to give them the capabilitity to exceed 25kph, and any bike given enough modification will exceed any speed limit. I think the fact that that particular modification is easy to carry out is irrelevant because it is still a modification rather the user operating a switch although obviously the bike is illegal when modified. Of course those of us who have fitted switches have rendered our bikes illegal, although I have further confused the issue by fitting such a switch out of reach of the rider and hidden from casual inspection.

Last edited: