Up hill struggle

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
So Im now looking at buying the BBS02 36V 25A from wooshbikes. Im I right in saying that I would have to lose 2 of my chain rings, so losing most of my gears? Also Is it easy to derestrict the wooshbike motor?
You don't really need that many gears with a motor. As long as you have a tall enough top gear and a suitable low gear, which doesn't have to be anything like as low as with the bike unpowered. The motor will fill in the gaps.

With most 9 and 10 speed triples there are a lot of duplicates anyway and chain run makes many combinations unusable. I worked out once that of the theoretical 27 speeds I had with one bike there were about 16 usable ones reality.

If it comes with a King Meter display then changing the cut off speed is a simple thirty second job.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
18a version has Bafang C961 so 25a probably very same or similar, very easy to de-restrict and to change other parameters. Gearing wise there are 48 & 52t chain rings available if 46t is unsuitable.

carbolts

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 2, 2014
So I need to find out if the wooshbike lcd can derestric the motor easily.
My bike will only have 8 gears with this kit but thats a lot better than the 2 or sometimes 3 gears depending on the mood of my last bike.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You don't need to find out if it can be de-restricted, BBS02 does use the C961 same as my BBS01. With it you can change various set ups , wheel size, top speed and assist levels up to 9.

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Does changing the wheel size make any any difference to top speed?
I have my kit on a 700c wheel and changed the settings to show it as being a 16' wheel, expecting that this would increase the top speed.
But when measured with GPS there was no difference in speed.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
no, top speed is proportional to the cube root of motor power. Changing the settings on the LCD only messes up the display and odometer.

Reactions: RichB

Spotty dog

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2014
If you go crank drive route 8 gears is enough as said a triple chainset duplicates on alot of the ratios. My lowest gear ratio is 35" a local hill that really used to kill me going up at an average 4mph on my unassisted bike a climb of 225m over distance 0.9mls , I can now ride up at 8/10mph on my BBS 01 350w, and while I still have to put some effort in I don't get to the top gasping for breath.I think the cassette on your bike is 11/32 if your kit has a 46 chainring will give you a good spread of ratios for hills but top gear may feel a bit undergeared on flat.
Bear in mind the chainline is not great so will be similar to using all the gears on the largest chainring only of your current setup.

Reactions: trex