Update on N.I. e-bike regs.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Thanks to all you guys who stayed with us through this fiasco.
All your input, support and opinions were much appreciated.
Although I don't use Facebook I have been led towards a Facebook site PSNI North Coast which covers the area which involved a confiscated e-bike.
The story is well down the site so keep scrolling through the mire.

The PSNI were confirming what they were originally told to do re uninsured ebikes. There was no mention however about the "condition" of the rider if indeed that was the same case.
The responses are shall we say "interesting" from a wide and varied selection, with most of them suggesting that worse crimes were going unpunished.
Others were suggesting that the law is the law and the PSNI didn't make it, they were just obliged to uphold it.
It appears to have been started before the letter which we now all have seen.

Batteries already charged regularly as instructed by Flecc. :)

Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Page say's link broken or has been removed.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Page say's link broken or has been removed.
Anne is involved with FB so she drew my attention to it originally. I have just looked again via her account and the post is still there with the 500+ comments.
Not sure why you are getting that failure.
Have to say while reading it again that the word which sums up the PSNI instruction is 90% incredulity.
Most responders had no idea this "law" existed, now that they do the PSNI are rapidly losing credibility.
Ironically they are actually only enforcing a law foisted on them.
The letter from our friend in Larne seems to confirm this.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Batteries already charged regularly as instructed by Flecc. :)
Don't forget the bell. :)

Yes, that's another N.I. anomally. The 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic specifies that all bicycles have to have bells or equivalent. That doesn't apply in the mainland UK, but Northern Ireland with its devolved transport is signed up to it so it's the law there.

• Agree
Reactions: TedG

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What are you saying?
Are there two of us?
Am I not actually alone in this world?
Blimey. :rolleyes:
There are indeed, and I'm not on Twitter either.

Nor do I have a smartphone, though one wouldn't be much use to me anyway. Despite being in a London borough I have no mobile phone signal on any network.

Connectivity can have steps too far, and Social Media are just that.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
If you're happy with vetted, doctored and D-noticed news, no live streamed incidents and events, then feel free to carry on and ignore the benefits of fb. :cool:

• Useful
Reactions: TedG

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you're happy with vetted, doctored and D-noticed news, no live streamed incidents and events, then feel free to carry on and ignore the benefits of fb. :cool:
Don't have to be on Facebook to get all that. We just use the stooges who are reporting on that for us! ;)

Would you really consider me an ill informed person?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and TedG