Update on N.I. e-bike regs.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Found it friend from Larne.
It is entitled Northern Ireland EAPC Status and is down a bit but I can't do a link at present.
Try to find it and have a read. Perhaps you could join us on that on that thread.
Ted.

larneyin

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 6, 2013
Now that the NI Assembly is back in action it is time to progress this ridiculous situation.

I would urge all NI ebike owners to lobby their MLAs, regardless of party, to try to bring this to a speedy satisfactory conclusion
I have just received another email from my MLA saying that several MLAs have submitted questions and that his is due to be answered by 12th February

Reactions: TedG

Jim e

Feb 4, 2020
Hi guys,just joined ,I thought I was only person pressuring stormont on this ebike outdated law thing ,glad I found this forum ,I'm Jim by the way

Reactions: flecc and TedG

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Sorry friends but I am struggling big time without a proper PC. The weekend can't come soon enough.
I have just received this and I have done my best to insert the link so I hope it can be opened and I would appreciate all views from you guys who have been with us from the beginning with help and advice.
Please let me know if the link hasn't worked and I will do it the "manual" way. I see it as pretty good news but my pessimism is never far away as a lot of you will know by now.

Views please??

https://www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/news/mallon-will-take-forward-legislation-encourage-use-electric-bikes

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Hi guys,just joined ,I thought I was only person pressuring stormont on this ebike outdated law thing ,glad I found this forum ,I'm Jim by the way
Hi Jim.
I was the culprit who started this thread which seems like about 20 years ago. It has turned into a monster and many friends on here have helped those of us who have been tormented by this absurd law. I am very grateful to them all.
You certainly were not the only person who "pressurised" Stormont as I have a folder entitled Ebike which is one of if not the fattest on my PC.
There have been many others both here and on the Mainland who have been writing on behalf of e-bikers here in N.I.
We are grateful that you have been involved as well so many thanks.
If you care to read back through this tread you will be enlightened accordingly.
I and many others have been bombarding those on the Hill for some time now but I can say that others like yourself hammering at the door we would never have known about until we are told as you have just done. Well done and many thanks.
Please see my link above which I have just received and hopefully this news will be a pleasant welcome for you to this forum on the day you join us.
Fingers crossed.
Ted.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
This was the section which I didn't like.
It is NOT currently legal to ride electric bikes here ( unless taxed, insured, registered etc) so that line is incorrect.
There should be NO legislation needed in any form around registration, licencing or insurance because none of this is required in the rest of the UK, R.O.I or Europe.
Any opinions will be very welcome.

“In the coming months I want to see what I can do to remove the barriers for people who want to do more walking and cycling as they go about their lives and amending legislation for electric bikes is something I plan to do as soon as possible.
While it is currently legal to ride electric bikes here, this new legislation is required to simplify the requirements around registration, licensing and insurance. My department has drafted legislation and I have asked officials to urgently review this work so I can put amended legislation before the Assembly as soon as possible and deliver life enhancing opportunities for our citizens and our communities.”

Last edited:

Jim e

Feb 4, 2020
Hi Jim.
I was the culprit who started this thread which seems like about 20 years ago. It has turned into a monster and many friends on here have helped those of us who have been tormented by this absurd law. I am very grateful to them all.
You certainly were not the only person who "pressurised" Stormont as I have a folder entitled Ebike which is one of if not the fattest on my PC.
If you care to read back through this tread you will be enlightened accordingly.
I and many others have been bombarding those on the Hill for some time now but I can say that others like yourself hammering at the door we would never have known about until we are told as you have just done. Well done and many thanks.
Please see my link above which I have just received and hopefully this news will be a pleasant welcome for you to this forum on the day you join us.
Fingers crossed.
Ted.
Hi ted
As I said so pleased I stumbled upon this forum with guys like yourself trying ur best to let us get out on the road with a bit of needed assistance without the worry of the law coming down on us I’ve read the latest news thanks to u and it’s great news Cheers for now

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
While it is currently legal to ride electric bikes here, this new legislation is required to simplify the requirements around registration, licensing and insurance. My department has drafted legislation and I have asked officials to urgently review this work so I can put amended legislation before the Assembly as soon as possible
I agree, I would also be very concerned about that, its worded around simplifying the registration process, not removing it!

• Agree

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
While it is currently legal to ride electric bikes here, this new legislation is required to simplify the requirements around registration, licensing and insurance. My department has drafted legislation and I have asked officials to urgently review this work so I can put amended legislation before the Assembly as soon as possible and deliver life enhancing opportunities for our citizens and our communities.”
Have just sent an email off to one of the MLA`s querying this, (the bold type in particular),
this should be no more than a quick `copy n paste` excercise,

don`t pump the tyres up just yet Ted.

Reactions: gw8izr and TedG

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
I had written to Paul Given along with several others this morning and this afternoon I received the same link from him.
I suspect he believes that this is the news we have been waiting for but until I see the fine detail as to what she is proposing the tyres will remain semi soft.
If I remember correctly this fiasco was announced on the BBC news way back so I will be watching tonight to see if the freedom we demand has actually been granted - or a variation of, which we won't want.

Jim e

Feb 4, 2020
I had written to Paul Given along with several others this morning and this afternoon I received the same link from him.
I suspect he believes that this is the news we have been waiting for but until I see the fine detail as to what she is proposing the tyres will remain semi soft.
If I remember correctly this fiasco was announced on the BBC news way back so I will be watching tonight to see if the freedom we demand has actually been granted - or a variation of, which we won't want.

Jim e

Feb 4, 2020
This was all brought to light when Steven nolan from BBC ni went to halford's to buy an ebike and was told about the registering process ,licencing mot,CBT course etc as you all aware off,I sent nolan an email but never got a reply ,i was hoping with his fan base and radio show he would mention this fiasco but until now nout said , take care everyone

• Informative

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Have just sent an email off to one of the MLA`s querying this, (the bold type in particular),
this should be no more than a quick `copy n paste` excercise,

don`t pump the tyres up just yet Ted.
As most of you would expect I have yet again voiced my (our) concerns to several MLAs regarding this press release. In honesty it is all wearing me out but I shall continue to torment them, as they have done to us.
I received this reply this morning from Paul Given who is actually a good guy.

Dear ......
The up-to-date information is what is contained within the Press Release from the Department and I am sure there will be greatly clarity on this soon. Going forward, there will be the opportunity to scrutinise the legislation through the assembly structures and I am confident a resolution will be a positive one for the cause which you are campaigning on.
Regards
Paul

Reactions: Jim e

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Watching the Stormont debate this morning, one alert was as follows.

1. 'E-bikes have a role to play in climate change'
Alliance MLA Andrew Muir asks about the assembly's vote on Monday to adopt a climate emergency.
He wants to know about the prioritising of sustainable transport
The minister says she's disappointed that Mr Muir is not wearing his customary "dickie bow", to laughter around the room.
The minister says she welcomes the climate emergency declaration.
She says her decision to bring forward legislation on e-bikes will have a role to play and attended the launch of Translink's three new hydrogen-fuelled buses.

There are words in this life which really annoy me, one of them is "legislation".

Reactions: Jim e

Jim e

Feb 4, 2020
Watching the Stormont debate this morning, one alert was as follows.

1. 'E-bikes have a role to play in climate change'
Alliance MLA Andrew Muir asks about the assembly's vote on Monday to adopt a climate emergency.
He wants to know about the prioritising of sustainable transport
The minister says she's disappointed that Mr Muir is not wearing his customary "dickie bow", to laughter around the room.
The minister says she welcomes the climate emergency declaration.
She says her decision to bring forward legislation on e-bikes will have a role to play and attended the launch of Translink's three new hydrogen-fuelled buses.

There are words in this life which really annoy me, one of them is "legislation".
Hi guys
I wonder how long all this will take ,I emailed private office Dfi about a time line just last week but no reply on that one ,also mailed Sustrans couple of weeks ago so fingers crossed things will happen soon

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Hi guys
I wonder how long all this will take ,I emailed private office Dfi about a time line just last week but no reply on that one ,also mailed Sustrans couple of weeks ago so fingers crossed things will happen soon
That is a lost cause. Nobody will give a time simply because there are so many things more important than bicycles - and whether or not we agree it probably is true.
Personally we have been off the roads for 3 years now but patience is wearing out. However my views on actually breaking a 'law" are well documented on this forum.

Many thanks for actually being involved with your efforts even those of us here weren't to know you were active.

Last edited:

Jim e

Feb 4, 2020
That is a lost cause. Nobody will give a time simply because there are so many things more important than bicycles - and whether or not we agree it probably is true.
Personally we have been off the roads for 3 years now but patience is wearing out. However my views on actually breaking a 'law" are well documented on this forum.

Many thanks for actually being involved with your efforts even those of us here weren't to know you were active.
Hi ted
Yea I realise about were we are on the pecking order and did say that in the mails I sent that health welfare etc were most important but like urselves just a tad impatient bout this issue ,I ride my ebike occasionally but being a taxi driver I’m aware that if I happen to get the wrong cop I could be in big —— which would as you all are aware would be points fine etc I have full motorcycle licence and class 1 hgv and just getting restless sorry for rant lol