Update on N.I. e-bike regs.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
“my Department has drafted legislation and I have asked Officials to urgently review this work so that I can put amended legislation before the Assembly”.
What a waste of effort when they could just adapt the existing GB legislation. They obviously like a clear NI/GB border in the Irish Sea

Reactions: mike killay

larneyin

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 6, 2013
Reply to the written question submitted by my MLA:

To ask the Minister for Infrastructure what plans are there to obtain affirmative resolution in the Assembly for regulations provided within the Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1995 to allow electric assisted pedal cycles to be categorised and controlled in the same way as the rest of the United Kingdom and the European Union.

"I am aware of the current situation regarding the use of electrically assisted pedal cycles (EAPCs) in Northern Ireland, and I am particularly conscious of the disparity with Great Britain and other European countries.

I have therefore decided to bring forward as soon as possible the necessary legislation which will remove EAPCs from legislative scope which will align with the position in Britain and Ireland.

I believe getting more people to walk, cycle or use public transport for every day journeys will have huge benefits for all of us, cutting down on traffic congestion, and reducing air pollution as well as the added benefits to our health and wellbeing. "

Hopefully some common sense is going to prevail at last!

Jim e

Feb 4, 2020
Fingers crossed itl not be too long ,although the weather is crap but I would still like a quick spin on the bike without any issues thanks guys

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Dear …...

Thank you for your further email in which you have raised concern about a response from the Minister for Infrastructure Ms Nichola Mallon MLA in response to an Assembly Question on the subject of electrically assisted pedal-cycle licensing requirements in Northern Ireland.

I note that further to this response in the Assembly, the Minister has issued a statement in which she confirms her intention to bring forward “to encourage the use of electric bikes”. In her statement, Ms Mallon goes on to say that “while it is currently legal to ride electric bikes here, this new legislation is required to simplify the requirements around registration, licensing and insurance.” According to Ms Mallon in her statement, she asserts that “my Department has drafted legislation and I have asked Officials to urgently review this work so that I can put amended legislation before the Assembly as soon as possible and deliver life-enhancing opportunities for our citizens and our communities”.

In light of this statement by the Minister and the ongoing concerns you have raised in your correspondence, I will certainly be encouraging my colleagues who are MLAs in the Assembly to closely scrutinise this proposed legislation to ensure that any proposals on registration and licensing are in line with what pertains in other parts of the United Kingdom and do not impose an onerous burden on the owners of e-bikes in this regard.

With best wishes,

Yours sincerely

RT HON SIR JEFFREY DONALDSON MP

Lagan Valley
Hi Ted. I've just had an email reply from Nichola Mallon which confirms the legislative change will not treat pedelcs as motor vehicles licence. So it seems at last N.I. can be sure of equal treatment to the rest of the UK:

Clipboard01.jpg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You beat me to if Flecc.
Just received a mail and attachent.
Still confused at how long it is taking as we all already know the benefits!
Just get on with it.
The irritating thing is that they could just issue a waiver in the form of a letter to your Chief Police Officer, instructing them not to prosecute riders of pedelecs compliant with the Type Approval exemption (h) in 168/2013, pending forthcoming legislation. That way you could all ride legally immediately. Our DfT did that on 13th April 2013 and it sufficed us until 6th April 2015 when the new law permitting 250 watts instead of 200 watts came into force.

Reactions: TedG and Jim e

Jim e

Feb 4, 2020
The irritating thing is that they could just issue a waiver in the form of a letter to your Chief Police Officer, instructing them not to prosecute riders of pedelecs compliant with the Type Approval exemption (h) in 168/2013, pending forthcoming legislation. That way you could all ride legally immediately. Our DfT did that on 13th April 2013 and it sufficed us until 6th April 2015 when the new law permitting 250 watts instead of 200 watts came into force.
Hi guys
I wish they would do sumthing to speed things up I know that they passed sumthing recently totally irrelevant to this but it took 5 months and they had to set a date Weather is crap anyhow so bike in garage take care all

• Agree
Reactions: TedG

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I suspect that as ass embly members have been on 'paid holiday' for so long, with few apparent ill affects to peoples everday lives, they now have to justify their existence by making everything look as complicated as possible.
It's amazing that it took less than a week back in harness to vote themselves a substantial pay rise.
Politicians eh, where would we be without them?:eek:

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Politicians eh, where would we be without them?:eek:
For sure, there are many days of associating themselves with the comments made and thanking each other for raising the matter... and if all else fails they can always accept and understand the strength of feelings...... before eventually getting on with it :)

• Agree
Reactions: Jim e and TedG

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
I cannot make any unpleasant comments because many of the MLAs and MPs here who I have written to could well be familiar with this forum, as I have brought the subject up that a lot of friends on the mainland are supporting us. To be fair and honest two in particular have been in constant contact with me without being asked so I am reluctant to tar them all with the same brush as Mother used to say.
I know one of them personally and trust me he has views which can never be repeated in public.
…… Just deleted a full line there, better left unsaid.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Well said Ted, in this case unpleasantness or calling anyone out won't help the cause.
Although Stormont are dragging their feet over this one, it won't be the only policy that needs signing off but certainly shouldn't be hard to do so.

Reactions: TedG and Jim e

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Reply from a supportive MLA who has been behind me right from the beginning.
After meeting her in Stormont a while back I am totally convinced that she was not one of the "holidaymakers".
I wasn't born last weekend and not easily deceived, and certainly not by a politician.

Good morning
I hope you are keeping well.
Yes, it is good that she is intent on bringing forward legislation, although I am concerned that this has not already started yet. The problem for not having this in place before was that the Executive wasn't sitting and no Assembly. We have both these things now so surely this should be relatively straight forward in my head! Will keep asking when this is coming though and I will let you know!

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
I have just received a mail from a trusted, loyal and supportive MLA at Stormont.
Any opinions would be welcome.

Subject: Written Answer AQW 1614/17-22 - Electrical Assisted Pedal Cycles Legislation

To ask the Minister for Infrastructure, following her statement on 4 February 2020 regarding Electrical Assisted Pedal Cycles (EAPCs), (i) when she expects her Department to complete the review of draft legislation; (ii) when she intends to introduce legislation amending regulations for EAPCs; and (iii) how the legislation drafted by her Department would amend current regulations on (a) registration; (b) licensing; and (c) insurance.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I announced on 4 February 2020 my intention to bring forward as soon as possible, for the Assembly’s approval, legislation which will remove the need for EAPCs to be registered and licenced in NI. This will also remove the requirement that the rider must have a driving licence and wear a motorcycle helmet. The requirement to insure an EAPC under the existing legislation will also be removed.

However, EAPC owners/riders should consider the need for insurance that covers areas such as damage, theft, personal injury and liability. Most contents insurance policies that include pedal cycles have a low cover limit, which is likely to be below the value of an EAPC, and unlikely to cover theft away from the home.

My officials are completing the review of the draft legislation and I will shortly submit an SL1 to the DFI Committee for its consideration. Subject to the Committees response my officials will make the necessary Statutory Rule. I will then ask the Assembly Business Office to allocate a date and time for an Affirmative Resolution debate seeking member’s approval of the Statutory Rule which will remove EAPCs from legislative scope in NI.

Reactions: flecc and Jim e

Jim e

Feb 4, 2020
What actually are you trying to do?
Forums are full of mistakes, folk understand.
I admin on another forum and it can be a nightmare. Just lie down in a darkened room for an hour.
Thanks ted I get frustrated at times sorry This ebike stuff must be getting to me lol