Updates available for Kiox, the app and the portal

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Kiox, our display for sporty riders, is now part of the connected eBike world at Bosch. From now on, Kiox can be selected in the eBike Connect smartphone app under "My eBike". Once Kiox is connected to the app using Bluetooth technology, it will record your trips and send all the relevant data to the app. If your smartphone is connected to the Internet, the ride data is also send to the eBike Connect online portal. The app records the relevant GPS data. This information is then combined with the Kiox riding data - and displayed clearly in the app or in the online portal after the journey.

works with android and crap!

Reactions: ebiker99
D

Deleted member 25121

I loaded up the app on my iPhone (ie a proper phone ;)), setup a Bosch eBike Connect account and linked to my Kiox. The app said that the Kiox firmware should be updated to v 1.0.4.3 (it was v 1.0.0.0) and this took over an hour because I had to keep going into the garage to power up the Kiox and phone after they'd powered down. It might have helped if I'd connected up the bike charger.

The phone needed to have a Bluetooth link to the Kiox and a wifi link to my router active at the same time.

After the update was downloaded into the Kiox it was a bit of a fiddle to get it installed but now I have v 1.0.4.3 installed and the display has many new features including a GPS symbol but I can't find any documentation for the new firmware, the information on the Bosch website still refers to v 1.0.0.0 which is rather frustrating.

Hopefully the Kiox doc will be updated soon.

Reactions: DroidOne

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it was only released on the 23/5/19 to the public so might take a while ;)

DroidOne

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
Stockholm (Sweden)
I loaded up the app on my iPhone (ie a proper phone ;)), setup a Bosch eBike Connect account and linked to my Kiox. The app said that the Kiox firmware should be updated to v 1.0.4.3 (it was v 1.0.0.0) and this took over an hour because I had to keep going into the garage to power up the Kiox and phone after they'd powered down. It might have helped if I'd connected up the bike charger.

The phone needed to have a Bluetooth link to the Kiox and a wifi link to my router active at the same time.

After the update was downloaded into the Kiox it was a bit of a fiddle to get it installed but now I have v 1.0.4.3 installed and the display has many new features including a GPS symbol but I can't find any documentation for the new firmware, the information on the Bosch website still refers to v 1.0.0.0 which is rather frustrating.

Hopefully the Kiox doc will be updated soon.
Strange, mine doesn't say anything about a firmware update. I'll try again. I'm also on 1.0.0.0. I guess it only updates the Kiox firmware, and not the bosch system/engine firmware? (I'm using the Volspeed trim kit with my bike, and would be a bit sad if it stopped working :) ).

The Nyon display has a feature to customize the panels, but that's not available on the Kiox yet (though I only tried with 1.0.0.0 of the firmware). Can you customize the panels in any meaningful way?

Interesting about the GPS symbol. The app currently says that the map/GPS feature isn't available for the Kiox.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 25121

Strange, mine doesn't say anything about a firmware update. I'll try again. I'm also on 1.0.0.0. I guess it only updates the Kiox firmware, and not the bosch system/engine firmware? (I'm using the Volspeed trim kit with my bike, and would be a bit sad if it stopped working :) ).

The Nyon display has a feature to customize the panels, but that's not available on the Kiox yet (though I only tried with 1.0.0.0 of the firmware). Can you customize the panels in any meaningful way?

Interesting about the GPS symbol. The app currently says that the map/GPS feature isn't available for the Kiox.
Click on My eBike in the App then on the Kiox that been located, the update notice should appear at this stage unless Bosch has withdrawn the update.

Only my Kiox firmware was updated.

DroidOne

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
Stockholm (Sweden)
Click on My eBike in the App then on the Kiox that been located, the update notice should appear at this stage unless Bosch has withdrawn the update.

Only my Kiox firmware was updated.
Wouldn't show up, removed phone and re-paired, and then it finally showed a notice about the update. I couldn't see a status bar anywhere though. Just left the phone on with the app activated and screen on for 15 mins or so.

Still couldn't see a progress bar or anything like that afterwards, but after restarting the Kiox and reconnecting, the progress bar showed for the transfer of the update from the phone to the Kiox.

This wasn't as smooth as I had hoped :)

Functionality wise there doesn't seem to be any news yet.

If you're on Android make sure the app has write access. Check permissions.

This is the update screen I had to leave on for 15 mins:
Screenshot_20190606-004221.png

After restarting the Kiox and letting it reconnect:
1845359174.png

Last edited:

DroidOne

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
Stockholm (Sweden)
Is there a new update available with the lock function now? The app changelog says that there's a new lock function available that will basically stop anyone from riding away with the bike unless the paired Kiox device is connected with the bike as I understand it.

I updated the app today, but there's no lock function anywhere to be found, nor can I find any update notification for the Kiox software. Anyone?

Also: Does the new KIOX update work with tuning kits?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it might be a os thing as will work on android but not on crap but if a update stops a dongle working then you will need one that you can update the firmware on it.

DroidOne

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
Stockholm (Sweden)
The version number is 2.0. Just installed it.

Can’t find the option though - where is it located?

€9.99 in app purchase :oops:
Yes, but if it means they keep adding new features I might actually be fine with it. I mean if the alternative is no new features unless I switch to a newer version of the Kiox system...

Last edited:

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
Updates available for Kiox, app and portal
The new premium function Lock provides enhanced security and offers additional protection for your eBike. Thanks to Lock, motor support is deactivated when you remove your Kiox onboard computer. The motor support function won't work until the same onboard computer is re-inserted. The display and two signal tones let you know when Lock is active. You can acquire the Lock function for €9.99 as an in-app purchase in the eBike Connect App.

So, are they saying that at the moment, any Kiox, will work on any other Kiox bike?

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
I believe you're correct and that this is true for all controller/displays.
If that's true, it's shocking. It's like buying a new Ford, and finding the ignition key will start every other Ford.
I'd always assumed the display and controller were paired and would only work with each other.

D

Deleted member 25121

If that's true, it's shocking. It's like buying a new Ford, and finding the ignition key will start every other Ford.
I'd always assumed the display and controller were paired and would only work with each other.
I wouldn't say it's shocking, ebike electronics have been quite dumb up to now and it's good that things are changing. I remember the old days when a worn out Ford key WOULD start most Fords!

There are several downsides to the added smartness though, Bosch batteries can't be used or even tested without a display/controller and owners are forced to go to registered dealers to get electronics problems sorted. No more taking your bike to the local bike shop. No more buying a replacement Kiox display on the cheap...

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
We're not talking about old Fords though, we're talking about new ebikes, some of which cost 5k or 6k and upwards. Personally, I do find it shocking that anyone with the same type of display can just pop it on any other bike and ride off on a fully functioning machine. I also don't see why you should have to pay extra to prevent that.

DroidOne

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
Stockholm (Sweden)
We're not talking about old Fords though, we're talking about new ebikes, some of which cost 5k or 6k and upwards. Personally, I do find it shocking that anyone with the same type of display can just pop it on any other bike and ride off on a fully functioning machine. I also don't see why you should have to pay extra to prevent that.
Unless others start offering it for free to compete with Bosch it’s simply a matter of supply and demand.

It there’s a demand and money to be made they’ll grab what they can.

Bosch needs more and better competition. Yamaha and Shimano are still sleeping, which is why Bosch so easily can get away with this stuff.

On the other hand, if their eBike systems have a life span of 10+years with little maintenance, where will they make money in the long run? The answer is probably by selling services and upgrades like these, so things may not change when Shimano and Yamaha enters the “smartbike” race, they’ll probably just follow cue...

Bosch doesn’t make more money on super expensive bikes. A CX performance system carries the same cost and profit margin independent of how expensive a bike is. So what we paid for our bikes is pretty irrelevant for Bosch part.

Batteries are also improving and becoming cheaper, so making money on those will become harder down the road.

Finding a sustainable business model isn’t so easy, so it will be interesting to see how this develops.

Last edited:

DroidOne

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
Stockholm (Sweden)
Is 2.0.0 the latest version? It says so on the Bosch page, yet the eBike app tells me that there's a new update available. I can't install it though as nothing starts to download no matter what I do.

The app doesn't work very well for me. Always a hassle to intiate an update (I'm currently on the Pixel 4), but this time around nothing works to get the update started. Trier pairing/unpairing and restarted the Kiox and eBike app several times. I also tried leaving the app on for quite some time, which usually works.

Last edited:

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
Is 2.0.0 the latest version? It says so on the Bosch page, yet the eBike app tells me that there's a new update available. I can't install it though as nothing starts to download no matter what I do.

The app doesn't work very well for me. Always a hassle to intiate an update (I'm currently on the Pixel 4), but this time around nothing works to get the update started. Trier pairing/unpairing and restarted the Kiox and eBike app several times. I also tried leaving the app on for quite some time, which usually works.
The App is a joke, mine often told me there was an update when there wasn't, it consistently failed to record rides completely, thinking there was an 'on-going ride' days later, basically, it's garbage, I don't bother with it anymore.

Reactions: DroidOne

mimichris

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 11, 2020
Wouldn't show up, removed phone and re-paired, and then it finally showed a notice about the update. I couldn't see a status bar anywhere though. Just left the phone on with the app activated and screen on for 15 mins or so.

Still couldn't see a progress bar or anything like that afterwards, but after restarting the Kiox and reconnecting, the progress bar showed for the transfer of the update from the phone to the Kiox.

This wasn't as smooth as I had hoped :)

Functionality wise there doesn't seem to be any news yet.

If you're on Android make sure the app has write access. Check permissions.

This is the update screen I had to leave on for 15 mins:
View attachment 30745

After restarting the Kiox and letting it reconnect:
View attachment 30747
Hello,
I can't update, I did like you, I even tried a second similar smartphone, but no update.
The Kiox is well connected to Ebike-Connect, I don't understand why it doesn't want to. Bosch has canceled an update yet the one announced is 2.0.0.0.
I don't have the first screen like you, nothing is displayed for the Kiox that it is connected to.

D

Deleted member 25121

Hello,
I can't update, I did like you, I even tried a second similar smartphone, but no update.
The Kiox is well connected to Ebike-Connect, I don't understand why it doesn't want to. Bosch has canceled an update yet the one announced is 2.0.0.0.
I don't have the first screen like you, nothing is displayed for the Kiox that it is connected to.
The initial Feed page app is misleading, the message about a firmware update being available is a general one and the app doesn't check what firmware you have so you'll see it even if you have the latest firmware.

Open the app, select My eBike on the bottom, power on the Kiox and the app should link to it. Click Kiox to select it and, if I remember right, you should then see the option to update the firmware. I installed v2.0.0.0 successfully back in October.