Upgrade from King meter 790 to LCD Display and bike computer

pgrange

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 14, 2016
Coventry
Hello all

I have a Kudos Secret which comes with a King Meter 790. Is it possible to upgrade to a LCD display preferably one with integral bike computer? I presume that the controller also needs upgrading ?

Other than King Meter what other options are there . Android app? And lastly does anyone know what make controller the Kudos has?

Many thanks

Peter

Reactions: belt_driven_muppet

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you can't.
LED panels use analog signalling, LCDs use digital signalling.
If you absolutely want to change, you'll have to change the controller too.
If you only want the additional functions (speedo, milometer), fit a cycle computer.

D

Deleted member 4366

Pull the controller out and have a look at it. I haven't done it, but I guess that a S06Sand S-LCD3 or 5 from BMSBattery would work. Show us a photo of your controller.

Reactions: Scorpio

pgrange

Oct 14, 2016
Coventry
Hello d8veh. I took these earlier . Not very clear but maybe of some use ?

Not in the position to remove it completely at the moment . Can do later .

Many thanks

Peter IMG_20161119_132732.jpg IMG_20161119_133009.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

It's still not enough to see. What i was looking for was whether it's a sensored or sensorless motor. How many wires are in the motor cable? Are there some thin ones as well as the blue, green and yellow thicker ones? If so, how many? Is there a spoke magnet on either wheel?

pgrange

Oct 14, 2016
Coventry
  • IMG_20161119_191841.jpgThere are 3 wires going to the motor itself and 2 wires going to a sensor on the crank. There are no magnets on the wheels. The motor is a 8 fun if they helps.
Peter

D

Deleted member 4366

OK, that's a sensorless motor, so you need the S06P and the S-LCD3 or 5. Before ordering, check the size of your controller. The S06P is 31x51x86mm. make sure it's going to fit. Your connectors are 2 wires for the LED panel on'off power, 2 wires for the LED panel ground and pedal assist level, 3 wires for throttle , 3 for pedal sensor, 3 for the motor, 2 for the battery power and 2 for the brake switch (x2?). That's pretty standard wiring.

The connector on the new LCD is quite wide (5 pin) and might be difficult to thread through, in which case you need to remove all the pins from the body and then reinsert them after threading the cable through. The throttle connectors would have to be cut off and solder the wires together. You need to order the wheel speed sensor, so that you get a speed reading on the LCD and you need to cut off the brake connectors and join the wires directly. Finally, it would be a good idea to order a pedal sensor in case your one is not compatible. It'll probably be OK, but for the sake of a couple of quid, you'll be covered.

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/545-s06p-250w-torque-simulation-square-wave-controller-ebike-kit.html?search_query=s06p&results=30

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/740-s-lcd5-lcd-meter-for-s-series-controlers-ebike-kit.html?search_query=S-lcd5&results=7

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-parts/49-five-poles-pas-pulse-padel-assistant-sensor-ecitypower-parts.html

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/550-speed-sensor-ebike-kit.html

Reactions: pgrange

pgrange

Oct 14, 2016
Coventry
d8veh thank you very much for that . That's exactly what I was looking for!
Any merits in a sine wave controller ?

Appreciate your time greatly .

All the best

Peter

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
So presumably the more magnets on the pas the better?
Yes I upgraded from 8 to 12 magnets and you can feel the difference especially in startup which takes much less rotation.

Reactions: pgrange
D

Deleted member 4366

All the readily available sinewave controllers are for sensored motors, so you're out on that one.