Upping The Power

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
The new power profile is certainly far more useful than the old for most UK riders and matches what most say they want.
This quote is from Flecc on another thread but I've started a new one since it is strictly OT.

The power on my Panasonic phasing down from just under 10mph suits me perfectly. My perspective on my e-bike is that I want power assistance. Once the bike is moving much over 10mph, I prefer to pedal more under my own muscle power than electric power. So by altering the power profile to suit most UK users, they alter it to my (and presumably many others') detriment. I prefer to maintain range rather than upgrade power.

I realise I'm not with the pack on this and if this trend continued I can always ditch the e-bike for another motor-cycle so I need not feel hard done by. I'm 67, fairly fit and not over-weight, hardly an athlete but my Tasman is not exactly hard work to pedal and if I want to go 14mph I just pedal harder.

I am beginning to see a case for a speed/ normal/ economy setting for e-bikes, not to change the overall power, of course but to change the power/ range compromise via the power application characteristics.

I wonder if that would be very hard to the makers to do?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In a sense your Eco, Standard and High switched power options are that Lemmy. However, the latest units now have full power to about 14 mph, no early phase down, but still have the three switched settings. Therefore the new models probably answer what you'd like better, being more consistent.

Wisper have variable power settings on their hub motor bikes, and the eZee EAF control has some 9 stepped power settings from memory. BionX have 4 settings.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I am with you on this lemmy, I like the power to fall away and 10 MPH is just about the right speed for this to happen. It's enough to get the bike rolling and at 10 MPH you don't really notice the power start to reduce. At 14 MPH, I think the power reduction effect would be more noticeable due to the increased drag at that speed caused by wind resistance. I find that my older Panasonic unit coaxes more effort out of me than I would normally give. The newer unit could make you lazy!

It would be nice to have a USB port on the power unit together with a software interface so that you can tweak this sort of thing.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Yes Lemmy, I think I understand what you are saying. Flecc's reply probably encapsulates what you seek to achieve and I look forward to trying one or two of those models so equipped.

It's a different route from simply adjusting the gearing which, of course, is detrimental to mileage. I have never altered my gearing and don't actually mind being limited to 15mph. If the cadence at that speed were just a little easier, I'd be happy with that. To be perfectly correct, 15mph is ok; it's when I want to go faster than that, the pedalling speed becomes a little frenzied.

I'm not actually sure I'd like the latest power delivery characteristics to which Flecc refers as it seems less elegant to me than the Panasonic version on my bike. I'm with you as regards inputting some effort rather than using the bike as a motor cycle or scooter but I'm aware there are some who are unable to actually pedal with any force due to disability. I'd like to see throttles retained for those who need them but I fear they are on the way out if I understand what I've read.

When all's said and done, bikes like your Tasman and my Easy Glider weren't conceived as fast road bikes or MTBs. Anyone looking for those types doesn't buy an old-fashioned, sit-up-and-beg bicycle. With that in mind, bikes like ours serve their purpose very well. I don't know about you but I'm not entering any time trials soon!

Regards,
Indalo

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I tried the carbon framed and beautiful Wisper 906 XC yesterday. what a ride! Probably (after Flyer X series) the nicest E bike I have ever ridden! simply supurb...... smooth power delivery, extremely comfortable with great forks and excellent Alfina 8 hub gears...Plus the movie star looks really help! lol A stunning bike.......

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'm glad I'm not on my own with this. A USB port to upload firmware options would be great. I won't hold my breath, though.