Urgent help please with rattling Kalkhoff battery.

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
I'm sure I've seen something about this on flecc's website, but it's not letting me on at present ("connection timed out"), so can anyone please tell me the cure for a loose/rattling battery on a Panasonic-motored 2011 Agattu? The slack is across the frame i.e grip the battery handle, push and pull with battery locked in place, and there's about 3mm movement.

Reason it's urgent is that I've just got a buyer for the bike and I want to sort this out before it leaves me.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The rails are badly designed on my Bosch rack battery; it is very easy to engage the battery on the rack wrong, but the battery will still lock in place and work, but move and rattle like you say. Maybe there is a similar issue on yours?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I used to use the little felt pads you get to stick on the bottom of furniture legs. They always seemed to do the trick.

Reactions: pajtaz and danfoto

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
Cheers Jonah. So I guess there's no way of adjusting the lock. Can you remember exactly where you stuck them? On the battery or on the relevant part of the catch on the frame?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Sorry, can’t remember exactly. Bit trial and error. You can use more than one if needed.

Reactions: danfoto

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm sure I've seen something about this on flecc's website,
Yes, here it is on this link

This is the excerpt for your case:

For the optimum battery mounting security the advice of JamesC of the pedelecs forum should be followed. First adjust the battery lock so that it sits high in it's mounting pad, relieving it's small mounting bolt from undue pressure. Then add layers of a thin rubber cut-out such as cut from old inner tubes into the battery well, using sufficient to ensure all movement is removed while still allowing the battery to be inserted and locked with ease. About two layers will usually be enough.

Reactions: danfoto

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
Thanks once again flecc. I'll try this as soon as the coffee's got round ...

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
Well, I double-checked and the slack's definitely transverse, not vertical, and I can't see any obvious way of fettling it, so I've advised the buyer that it happens and he doesn't seem to be concerned by it.

Actually, I'd never really noticed it, but according to my Lady Wife it's been like that for ages :rolleyes:

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
I know this was asked some time ago but this may help others with the same problem.
I used double sided tape to stick a 1mm piece of shim plastic about 6 x 12mm in size where the lock latches.
This got rid of the play.
I also wrap a narrow Velcro strap round the battery for extra support.
BABE3E56-1F92-4B88-AFB5-A85FF20AFB64.jpeg

Reactions: DanD