Using a Kalkhoff Battery with a Hub Motor Kit?

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Hi All, I recently bought an old tandem to do up and hopefully get my wife (a non-cyclist) to join me in my cycling adventures.

Having restored the bike to a reasonable condition with a new pair of wheels and handlebars etc. I finally persuaded my partner to have a go.
It didn't go too badly (there was a bit of shrieking) but it left me knackered as I seemed to be doing all the work.

Before I get rid (the bike, not the wife :)) I thought I might try to convert it to an electric.

As I've got a Kalkhoff Pro Connect, I just wondered if it was possible to connect it's battery to a hub motor rather than having the expense of buying a complete kit.

I've searched the forum but can't find any info on using the battery on other applications.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, it's tended to be about using other batteries on the Kalkhoffs. However, no reason why you shouldn't use the Kalkhoff-BMZ battery on other motors since it just uses standard 18650 cells. Just make sure you use the right output connections though, since on the Panasonic version there are two possible outputs of positive voltage.

You'll find the Panasonic version's connections explained on my support website using this link.

I don't know anything about the Impulse unit versions connections.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Thanks Flecc, I've used your excellent Panasonic Site for reference many times over the years.

I'm a bit surprised no ones used the battery with a different motor before, given the amount of members with multiple electric bikes.

Thats what made me think it might not be suitable for using with a different motor.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think it's just a cost thing Kenny. The reason for wanting to try a different battery is most often cost, so the Kalkhoff ones being at the dearer end means a cheaper option is often sought.

BAH48

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2012
Appleby Cumbria
I wondered about using my Bosch battery for a hub motor, but the battery communicates with the motor using a CAN Bus, it would need some kind of interface to make it work with another controller and motor.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wondered about using my Bosch battery for a hub motor, but the battery communicates with the motor using a CAN Bus, it would need some kind of interface to make it work with another controller and motor.
Understandable I suppose, since Bosch created CAN bus in the first place so probably want to promote it's use at every opportunity.

Bit awkward in this instance though.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
You could open it up and take off power from the normal place.