Using electrically-assisted bikes: lazy cheaters or healthy travellers?

Ettica

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2008
Heskin Lancashire
Blimey, I think it was all positive! That's rare, the media always like to throw in a 'dry fish' in their pronouncements.
Best article i have read on ebikes.
Nice one. :)

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Blimey, I think it was all positive! That's rare, the media always like to throw in a 'dry fish' in their pronouncements.
Best article i have read on ebikes.
Nice one. :)
Hi Ettica,

In some countries dried fish is considered to be finger licking good.:D

Mountainsport

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Probably only in the UK could any idiot think that e-biking is cheating.
That is because we have
1 Lycras (mainly older men)who are health obsessed to the point of it becoming an obsessive/ compulsive disorder.
2 Genuine sporting riders who enjoy cycling.
3 People who just use bikes as transport, oh, no we don't, it is othere countries that have transport riders

Hero Eco

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2012
Gloucestershire
That is because we have
1 Lycras (mainly older men)who are health obsessed to the point of it becoming an obsessive/ compulsive disorder.
3 People who just use bikes as transport, oh, no we don't, it is othere countries that have transport riders
Mike- you have to wear lycra now, or risk being pulled by the Police.... No Lycra? You're nicked, son | Bicycle Business | BikeBiz

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
That is because we have
Thumbs up to that mike killay.

Mountainsport

Chris the Sheep

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2013
Well since I got my pedelec I've only missed one day's commute, because it was pouring down; we've had a run of windy days here in Blackpool where I simply wouldn't have cycled at all, or might have managed one trip and got knackered. I'm a total convert; getting far more exercise than I did before, more freedom to choose my route (the shortest route goes up the only hill in Blackpool), much easier to be assertive in traffic, and it's damn good fun! I'd been cycling to work for three years, but often gave it a miss because of the wind.

Reaction at work has been 100% positive, even amongst the dedicated cyclists. I doubt whether it's ever going to be possible to persuade the ones who drive two miles to work that they don't need a car, unless there's another fuel crisis, but these bikes I think are one of the keys.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
That's hilarious - British boys in blue logic at its most truly ridiculous. So the lesson is - if you want to get away with it in Bath, always nick a fancy bike in lycra ?
In all fairness though, isn't this what we want?
Bike thefts are a serious problem, and to find that the Police are checking people on bikes is to me rather re-assuring. Sure, a bit of a worry when it happens to you, but a lot less hassle than coming back to find your bike gone.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
In all fairness though, isn't this what we want?
Bike thefts are a serious problem, and to find that the Police are checking people on bikes is to me rather re-assuring. Sure, a bit of a worry when it happens to you, but a lot less hassle than coming back to find your bike gone.
Not really - I'd liken this to stopping a man for a search because he is black.

D

Deleted member 4366

Not really - I'd liken this to stopping a man for a search because he is black.
I agree with your sentiments; however, if local statistics show that the majority of crimes are committed by black people, logic would suggest that it would be appropriate that the majority of people stopped should be black. Some neighbourhoods are almost entirely black, so I wouldn't expect an equal number of non-black people to be stopped there.

The main point is that when things don't look right, it makes sense to check.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I agree with your sentiments; however, if local statistics show that the majority of crimes are committed by black people, logic would suggest that it would be appropriate that the majority of people stopped should be black. Some neighbourhoods are almost entirely black, so I wouldn't expect an equal number of non-black people to be stopped there.

The main point is that when things don't look right, it makes sense to check.
I get what you're saying but I deliberately used an inflammatory analogy to make the point that the PC's reasoning suggests (in fact reiterates) his view that it doesn't look right or normal for someone not to be wearing sport cycling clothing on a bicycle. The guy was wearing normal clothes and for that to be a reason to stop him as it doesn't look "normal" is just ridiculous. As ridiculous as some other prejudiced viewpoints which have sparked debate.

Stereotype pigeon-holing policing. If you don't slot in to what everyone else does or wears you must be guilty of something.

The concern is that the PC thinks it's odd in the first place and seriously expects people to take his viewpoint as credible grounds for suspicion. It surely calls his judgement into serious question. It's no surprise the crims run rings round them.

Last edited:

Marctwo

Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2012
Stereotype pigeon-holing policing. If you don't slot in to what everyone else does or wears you must be guilty of something.
Erm... 'may' be guilty of something.

Instinct isn't always spot on and needs to be developed. But it shouldn't be ignored just for the sake of political correctness.

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
One of our customers recently came into the shop in a highly indignant state. He rides an electric bike, and said he had just been stopped by the police and warned that smoking a fag as he rode could cause an accident. He was not impressed. I would say he is in his sixties. As for the 'cheating' part, as I was locking-up at the front of the shop, on about the second day of my electric bike ownership, an old boy waved his stick at my bike and said 'Hey, that's cheating!' I have had cars, vans, cycles, motorcycles and a campervan in my lifetime. I can see a whole lot of new prejudices looming that I will have to cope with!

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
on about the second day of my electric bike ownership, an old boy waved his stick at my bike and said 'Hey, that's cheating!
Surely if that's how he thinks then his walking stick is also cheating!
Dave.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Hope all this fuss isn't going to ruin my image - I've managed fairly well for the last 77 years by pretending to be bone idle. Seems to irritate some people!
May the e-wind be ever at your back.
;-)
Tom

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Totally disagree,
Either the Police never check anyone 'Just to be on the safe side'
OR they make reasonable checks, and to me this WAS a reasonable check.
Who knows, next time he does this, he may well catch a bike thief, after all, if as you say thieves run rings about the Police, logically, a would be bike thief would have to walk around in lycra whilst looking for a bike to steal, but of course, they don't, they wear ordinary clothes.