vat free

DisabledCyclist

Just Joined
Apr 21, 2023
The advice given so far is wrong. Provided the cycle has been designed for a disabled person, and is being used by a disabled person, it can be zero rated for VAT

The key is that the item must be designed for a disabled person, and for personal use by a disabled person.

There are many ebikes designed for a disabled people. It’s important to recognise that Bikes trikes and quad bikes are used as mobility aids.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and guerney

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The advice given so far is wrong.
Not so, the thread and posts you are commenting on are from 2012. There have been numerous updates since then.

And where are the "many" e-bikes designed for disabled people? I've never seen one in over 70 years connected with the subject of power assisted bicycles.

Quote from your first link:

You cannot get relief on:
  • standard generic wheelchairs and mobility light vehicles
  • motor vehicles or other methods of transport that have not already been specifically adapted for the sole use of the person with disability (a disabled person)
The standard e-bikes we were commenting on in our answers do not qualify. Furthermore Morphix in his answer had checked with the DfT and HMRC that this was the case.

GeneR

Just Joined
Apr 21, 2023
Not so, the thread and posts you are commenting on are from 2012. There have been numerous updates since then.

And where are the "many" e-bikes designed for disabled people? I've never seen one in over 70 years connected with the subject of power assisted bicycles.

Quote from your first link:

You cannot get relief on:
  • standard generic wheelchairs and mobility light vehicles
  • motor vehicles or other methods of transport that have not already been specifically adapted for the sole use of the person with disability (a disabled person)
The standard e-bikes we were commenting on in our answers do not qualify. Furthermore Morphix in his answer had checked with the DfT and HMRC that this was the case.
The original question was about ‘eBikes’ not ‘standard eBikes’. You are correct that standard ebikes cannot be zero rated.

As for the point-blank denial about the existence of ebikes designed for disabled people - how fascinating!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The original question was about ‘eBikes’ not ‘standard eBikes’. You are correct that standard ebikes cannot be zero rated.

As for the point-blank denial about the existence of ebikes designed for disabled people - how fascinating!
Distorting again, I have made no blank denial about e-bikes for the disabled not existing. I'm aware of some adaptations, but so rare that I've never actually seen one in all the decades I've been associated with e-bikes.

Care to give any links to e-bikes being sold expressly for the disabled?