Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Text reproduced below:

Budget electric bike by Ferrari designer | ETA

To fast and the electric motor is to big for UK :( .... how embarrassing

--------------------------------

Budget electric bike by Ferrari designer

It’s as iconic an image of traditional France as the beret or baguette, but the ‘Velo Solex’ has had a dramatic makeover at the hands of Pininfarina, the designers best known for designing Italian supercars including Ferraris.

Its latest project is relatively humble, but certainly more practical – the e-solex is a budget electric scooter that costs less than £1000.

The original Solex was invented in 1946 as a cheap means of motorised transport for postwar France.

It was little more than a bicycle with a tiny petrol engine sitting over the front wheel, but it worked surprisingly well and became hugely popular.

In its latest incarnation, the Velo Solex has swapped its small petrol engine for a rechargeable 400 watt, electric motor that takes just eight hours to charge fully via a standard 240v socket.

The e-Solex features a lithium-ion 36v battery that slots neatly into the frame below the handlebars and only weighs 5kg – light enough to carry a spare.

The overall weight of the bike is 45kg.

Price £925
Top speed 21mph
Weight 40kg
Range Up to 25 miles per charge, but batteries weigh 5kg so light enough to carry a spare

Attachments

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just looks gimmicky to me, the mock twin tank front housing being a clumsy style touch just to look like the original, assuming it's a rear hub motor on the bike. With no cycling gears and that high weight it's really a light motor cycle cum scooter pretending to be a bike, just as the old one was, though with little power previously.

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Yes, it says the overall weight is 45 kg, yet the battery only weighs 5 kg..... :rolleyes:

Intex

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2008
I just finished restoring 3 VeloSolexes from the 60's, and the reason I have just ordered a ProConnect-S is that they did nbot perform as expected. They are just fine on flat streets(ie: Paris), but on any type of slope, they just wont make it, and they are too heavy to pedal around.

This is why I switched my plans to sing a Pedelec for going into town. If their new E-Bike is anything like the older gas motored ones, they are woefully underpowered. Anyway, the present VeloSolex e-bike does not look like these pics, they are a little better looking, and are sold in Europe as well as the U.S.

In Paris they were under 1000 Euros last month.

dazzie

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2008
My eyes!

It looks like one of those cheap plastic bikes for two year olds! I've never seen anything quite as disgusting as that 'bike'.

A spokesperson for the Environmental Transport Association (ETA) said: “More than any other affordable electric scooter on the market the e-Solex has style
What?!?!? They failed to mention this person was either blind or is now enjoying a considerably larger bank balance.