very noisy motor with Shenzhen (e-crazyman) controller

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
I finally got around to fitting this controller and when I first opened up the motor it made very loud horrible vibrating noises and barely moved. I looked at the motor sensor connection (5 wire block) and noticed that the green and the blue wire on the controller side were swapped over compared to the motor (gree to blue, blue to green) so I swapped them over and tried again. It made it a bit better - now it spins at 10 mph (should be 20) and is still making an extremely horrible grinding vibrating sound. I've checked all other connectors and can't see anything obviously incorrect. Does anyone have any idea how I can get this wired up correctly?

The motor is definately still ok because it still works ok with my other controller.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wrong colour codes are very common in Chinese production, one of my bikes has wrong codes, and since your symptoms indicate incorrect hall sensor wiring, it's probable that at least one other pair need to be swapped. The noise can result from one or more windings trying to brake while the others are trying to drive.

I can only suggest you painstakingly try the different combinations on the other sensor wires until you hit the right one. If it's running as it is, it's unlikely to be a phase wire connection at fault.

Last edited:

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
That does seem like a likely diagnosis especially since swapping the green and blue wires already made the problem better. Looking at some information on the internet it looks like the wiring for the hall sensors and phase wires often has to be swapped around depending on the motor/controller combo. So I'll start with the halls and moe onto the phases. Could be there a long time!
Thanks Flecc.

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Maestro,

What motor and what vintage of ecrazyman controller are you using? If its a Bafang motor then the wiring info should be available.

Otherwise, you have to experiment. With 3 phase wires and 3 Hall sensors, there are 36 combinations, but they fall into groups so you don't have to try them all. The controller may also have a wire to select between 60 degree and 120 degree Hall positioning.

Another bit of fun is that some combinations will make it run backwards. Depending on whether there is a physical phase offset on the Hall sensors, the backward running may be not as good as the forward.

Nick

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Maestro,

What motor and what vintage of ecrazyman controller are you using? If its a Bafang motor then the wiring info should be available.

Otherwise, you have to experiment. With 3 phase wires and 3 Hall sensors, there are 36 combinations, but they fall into groups so you don't have to try them all. The controller may also have a wire to select between 60 degree and 120 degree Hall positioning.

Another bit of fun is that some combinations will make it run backwards. Depending on whether there is a physical phase offset on the Hall sensors, the backward running may be not as good as the forward.

Nick
Yes sorry I totally forgot the mention the motor its a Suzhou Bafang. The controller is Serial number BLP3625, dated 2008/7/25, 36V. I'm hoping it will work with 48V when I get a new battery. Rated at 25A max current so it should handle it.

I've got it working now but info might be of use to someone in future, you never know :)

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Yes sorry I totally forgot the mention the motor its a Suzhou Bafang. The controller is Serial number BLP3625, dated 2008/7/25, 36V. I'm hoping it will work with 48V when I get a new battery. Rated at 25A max current so it should handle it.

I've got it working now but info might be of use to someone in future, you never know :)
Without checking the numbers, it sounds the same combination as I've tried out. Took it up to 80 V on a test rig, hehe.

Nick

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Without checking the numbers, it sounds the same combination as I've tried out. Took it up to 80 V on a test rig, hehe.

Nick
The 36V rated controller or the motor? I know that plenty of people run the Bafang 36V rated motors at 72 Volts and they are reliable at that voltage. Don't know about this controller though. I only want 48V anyway :)

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
The 36V rated controller or the motor?
Both. Mwwaaaaah. (Can't find the smiley for "evil grin, twirls mustache".)

The controller voltage rating is a variable feast. The upper limit is when the magic smoke gets let out; the lower limit is set by a pair of resistors that control the low voltage cut out.

Nick

gerfried

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 12, 2007
Graz
www.hyperbike.cc
Hi,

same happens to me (noisy under load connecting to a Ningbo Polaris motor) - I'm thinking abot buying an Oszilogram. To be honest, Ecrazyman did not say that it was tested with that motor.
Times were much easier with the brushed motors...

cu
Efried

MR E

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2007
West Sussex PO21
Suzhou Bafang Wiring diagram

Does anyone have any details on the wiring diag for the Suzy Bangs motor as supplied / fitted to the Alien , as the motor I am using is very noisy under load and suspect that it could be a wiring problem , although the motor performance is fine. I have stripped down the motor and all looks ok--gears lube etc , and reading this thread , sounds as it could be similar to the wiring problems experienced here.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Does anyone have any details on the wiring diag for the Suzy Bangs motor as supplied / fitted to the Alien , as the motor I am using is very noisy under load and suspect that it could be a wiring problem , although the motor performance is fine. I have stripped down the motor and all looks ok--gears lube etc , and reading this thread , sounds as it could be similar to the wiring problems experienced here.
If the motor is turning at the correct speed I'd suspect its wired up correctly. What do you mean by very noisy? In very quiet road conditions under load the sound is very noticable on my bike too. When its not under load it makes a humming noise, but under load it makes a noise that reminds me of the electic trams at Blackpool. No especially loud though and its generally drowned out by wind and road noise.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Agreed, it's not a wiring problem David, these motors can kick up quite a lot of noise under load, especially at lower revs, and they are variable, some markedly noisier than others of the same SB make and model.

MR E

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2007
West Sussex PO21
The noise is best descibed as "mechanical" ie sounds like metal rubbing against metal , thats why I thought initially it may be bearings or gearing, but this noise is more noticeable when picking up speed and under load , especially in throttle only mode.
I cannot seem to replicate this noise when the bike is jacked up with the front wheel off the ground .

Sounds like it could be normal for this type of motor?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If it can be described as a "growling whine" combination David, it's quite common on these at lower revs under load, especially if full throttle is used at low revs.

Occasionally one is noisier than usual due to a minor error in lateral internal alignment, either resulting in slightly incomplete lateral gear meshing or the rotor constantly pulling itself sideways to align with the stator (spindle and winding assembly). These normally do no harm and if the motor is reasonably quiet at full cruising speed on the flat, it should be ok.

MR E

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2007
West Sussex PO21
Thanks Tony-- Its good to know that there is no real problem .

Anyway the motor had a "free" inspection while I was investigating:D

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
The noise is best descibed as "mechanical" ie sounds like metal rubbing against metal , thats why I thought initially it may be bearings or gearing, but this noise is more noticeable when picking up speed and under load , especially in throttle only mode.
I cannot seem to replicate this noise when the bike is jacked up with the front wheel off the ground .

Sounds like it could be normal for this type of motor?
I notice the noise the most on mine when going up a hill at around 15 mph. I've not really noticed it at low revs personally. I'd describe the noise as mechanical rattling metal crossed with growling with a background hum.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I notice the noise the most on mine when going up a hill at around 15 mph. I've not really noticed it at low revs personally. I'd describe the noise as mechanical rattling metal crossed with growling with a background hum.
The mechanical rattling can result from the internal freewheel, normally a ball and ramp type. At maximum speed the motor won't run any faster leaving the ball bearings free to move between the ramp surfaces, and they can sometimes rattle.

I have an article on noise in these motors on my website:

Motor Noise

Last edited: