Veteran Cycle Club...

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Local Jubilee celebrations through up a surprise today...the Veteran Cycle Club had been invited to our local village celebrations, some really interesting bikes on display:

BoneShaker:

and the brake, twist the handle bars...

Wheel construction...

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Shaft Drive 1901 style...

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Full suspension: 1905!

Front:

Rear arm, pivots just above the BB...spring in the seat tube

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Tandem:

Lights:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Good selection of cars:

Even an air ambulance!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Brilliant, thank for posting this NRG. As I've often remarked about bike developments, there's nothing new under the sun, it's all been done before, usually a half century or more earlier.

I used to drive cars like some of those, owned a 1936 example once.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Yep! Where you there?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Hub Gears 1904...

More photos than I can post here, great day...

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Very interesting to see such old examples of bikes , thanks for posting them, bet you had a great day !

Looks like the weather was kind to you too :)

Lynda :)

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Wonderful photos.Brilliant bikes. That Post Office Telephones van takes me back. As an Apprentice Telecommunications Technician, I rode shotgun in one like that back in 1962. The guy who I was with, told me that previous models had a glass panel fitted in the cab roof, so that you could observe overhead telephone wires as you drove along! What would Health and Safety make of that?

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Wonderful photos.Brilliant bikes. That Post Office Telephones van takes me back. As an Apprentice Telecommunications Technician, I rode shotgun in one like that back in 1962. The guy who I was with, told me that previous models had a glass panel fitted in the cab roof, so that you could observe overhead telephone wires as you drove along! What would Health and Safety make of that?
Always was a trick question,
'What colour is a Post Office van?'

If I remember correctly, some of them had rubber wings.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
That tandem and sidecar takes me back.
It was in the 1940s, a school friend told me that his parents had 'Bought a tandem, and it had a sidecar, and he could go in it.'
I didn't even know what a tandem was.
He took me to his house, and there in the garage was something like that photograph.
I was green with envy. Even worse was to come.
He loftily told me that when his father came home from work, they were going down the beach for a picnic. We lived in Cardiff then, on the East side, and Penarth, the nearest beach was probably 10 miles away.
As far as I was concerned, Penarth may as well have been on the moon, there was no way my parents were going to negotiate trams and buses to get there for an evening picnic.
Gradually, things got even worse because they went there every evening for the whole summer.
I stopped talking to my friend as I found the envy too hard to bare. If only my family had been into bikes!

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
NRG, good post! Thanks for sharing.

To continue the theme, I spotted this very early two speed machine at a steam rally last year. High gear was engaged when turning the pedals in the normal direction, to engage low gear, the pedals had to be turned backwards. Must have taken some getting used to.

Notice also the 1" pitch chain, wooden wheel rims and mudguards.

EDIT: Since posting, I've been trying to figure out how that worked!.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
NRG
I spotted this very early two speed machine at a steam rally last year. High gear was engaged when turning the pedals in the normal direction, to engage low gear, the pedals had to be turned backwards. Must have taken some getting used to.
Two freewheels operating in two directions with the chain looping over both. There have been some copies made of this system at various times, including one still being used recently by it's constructor.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Love the Parasol holder...

Forgot to mention... apparently the brakes where optional on this one...and a self fit one at that!

Also a mention to the Veteran Club members and owners, you could not meet a nicer bunch of Ladies and Gents, very approachable and willing to answer any and all questions...

Last edited: