Video of the Bafang BBS02 kit

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
As part of the "Creating Multimedia Content" module for my degree, I have to produce a 2min to 5min video and I've chosen Bafang BBS02 kit as a subject. I got a 100%/A+ grade for the first part of the assignment (storyboarding, script, copyright issues etc) so hopefully the actual video will go as well.

Please take a look at
and let me know what you think. the script/sequences are set (has to match assignment 1 storyboard/script) but any suggestions on transitions/animations would be greatly appreciated.

No comments on my carp acting though - we aren't be graded on our acting skills!

Many thanks in advance for your time!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

It looks pretty good, but I hate the text scrolling in on the opening page. It doesn't add anything and looks like just using a transition for the sake of it.

One other thing that I didn't understand is why you divided the riding bit into segments and then jumbled them. It just made me dizzy. I would have preferred just a continuous recording.

On a slightly different note, why are you pushing the bike up the hill at the beginning? It doesn't do a lot to promote electric bikes. I'd have left that bit out or ridden the bike up the hill.

Reactions: Roadster605

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
It looks pretty good, but I hate the text scrolling in on the opening page. It doesn't add anything and looks like just using a transition for the sake of it.

One other thing that I didn't understand is why you divided the riding bit into segments and then jumbled them. It just made me dizzy. I would have preferred just a continuous recording.

On a slightly different note, why are you pushing the bike up the hill at the beginning? It doesn't do a lot to promote electric bikes. I'd have left that bit out or ridden the bike up the hill.
Thanks for the comments d8veh.

The scrolling text is just to demonstrate technique - something needs to happen with it - maybe a fade in would be better than a scroll?

Again, the rapid cuts (jump cuts) are there to demonstrate technique and syncing with the music beats - it promotes the feeling of speed. The segments aren't jumbled - it has 1 second, then the next second cut, then one second and the next second cut and so on. One of those check box excersises to get the marks I'm afraid.

As for the hill - I am riding up it!

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Looks good overall, no unnecessary panning or zooming. A white reflector would soften the shadow you walk through at the beginning. Highlighting the parts is neat. The music during the description is a bit distracting. At one point you say ' the gears can be used to move up and down the bike' .This makes no sense and would be worth changing . The hill ride sequence would be improved by showing part of your front wheel/bars in the frame as you accelerate away and up past the pushing rider and thus avoid misinterpretation of this part and giving the viewer a fixed reference point. The last section I think would look better with a couple less jump cuts with longer sequences in between.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
the gears can be used to move up and down the bike
Haha, yeah, I meant to say "up and down the cassette". Still, my lecturer isn't a cyclist, so he wont notice - not being judged on the acting anyway :).

Unfortunately, can't refilm any more parts so not sure what to do about the shadow (didn't even notice it untl you pointed it out so good shout) - might run it through after effects to see if that can do anything.

Good point on the sound bed - I might lower the volume on it a notch. Soundbed needs to stay as a: it's a requirement on the assignment and b: it kills the background noise (sea and bloody seagulls! I live 200m from the beach).

Hill ride sequence - noted but I can't refilm that so stuck with it. Might play with the timings a bit though. Maybe I could bring the sound from the action cam through to make it obvious I'm riding it?

Might have a play with the jump cuts - see if I can mix it up a bit. Some of them need to stay in (demonstration of technique and the lecturer loved it when he saw the first run) but point taken that I might have over done it a bit.

Many thanks for taking the time to look through it!

Last edited:

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
If you keep going you will get better, don't worry about overdoing things ,you can always edit as your 'feel' improves. Watch out when using different cameras, your action cam is overexposing the highlights and washing out the details ,try a manual white balance to match both cameras and keep the look of the video consistent. Keep us posted on your progress. PS if you see an old geezer doing ride the lights with a Bolex H16 give me a wave.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
If you keep going you will get better, don't worry about overdoing things ,you can always edit as your 'feel' improves. Watch out when using different cameras, your action cam is overexposing the highlights and washing out the details ,try a manual white balance to match both cameras and keep the look of the video consistent. Keep us posted on your progress. PS if you see an old geezer doing ride the lights with a Bolex H16 give me a wave.
Yeah - my action cam is a Contour Roam HD and you have to set the white balance before you leave home (via pc) so you have to guess the conditions - suffice to say the conditions when I got home weren't the same when we got to the ride.

Still, we aren't expected to spend hundreds on cameras - £100 handicam is fine.

I don't do ride the lights anymore - it's chaos!

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Think I've found a solution to the pause in action whilst the music builds for the hill climbing section. Provides visual content for the viewer whilst the audio builds:-

Skip to 3:33

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
The countdown for the hill climb certainly helps make it clear that the camera is on the bike being tested. I like the syncing to the music beat for the speed effect as well.
Slightly off topic - isn't the boardwalk a b*gger when it's wet!

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Slightly off topic - isn't the boardwalk a b*gger when it's wet!
It is! We were lucky that the sun came out just as we got to Gisburn so burned off most of the dampness.

Thanks for taking the time to check the video. Doesn't have to be submitted until 10th May - plenty of time for tweaks :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think it is great then again I know little about producing and editing, far better then I could attempt.

Roadster605

Just Joined
Nov 3, 2014
I must admit that my first thought was "why are you pushing the bike up the hill" & as I have just purchased the motor I was a little worried! Good video,I am sure you could produce an excellent one of the fitting sequence of the motor etc too! Well done!

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I must admit that my first thought was "why are you pushing the bike up the hill" & as I have just purchased the motor I was a little worried! Good video,I am sure you could produce an excellent one of the fitting sequence of the motor etc too! Well done!
If I had more than 5 mins to play with I'd have loved to do a fitting seuqence as well, although I'm not sure I fancy taking the unit out just to refit it again.

Thanks for taking the time to check the video out!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I understand the video doesn't have to stand alone.

But it would be more natural to start with a couple of sentences explaining what an ebike is.

Swytch Bike

Trade Member
Sep 10, 2014
Nice video!

Has anyone made a tutorial video yet showing how to fit one of these kits, step by step?

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
FYI - vid has been marked now - A+ :)

Thanks for all your comments :)