Views on diblasi R34 please......

3x3

Just Joined
Aug 31, 2014
Hi I'm a newbie to the forum but am thinking of getting a folding tricycle. Needs to fold because of storage issues, needs to be a tricycle because I want to take my 2 Norfolk terriers with me, need to be electrically assisted as I live in a valley and all exits are uphill! DiBlasi sounds good and amazingly one of the 2 uk stockists listed on the official site is only about 20 minutes away from me. Any negative feedback heard about this particular model?

D

Deleted member 4366

Have you ridden one before? You know that the chance of crashing it in the first month is at least 100%? You might be alright if you can keep the speed below about 8mph.

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
Ok ime new to all this but would the battery be upto it for your situation,you say all exits are hills and its quoted as having a 24v 8.5 ah battery

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Hi I'm a newbie to the forum but am thinking of getting a folding tricycle. Needs to fold because of storage issues, needs to be a tricycle because I want to take my 2 Norfolk terriers with me, need to be electrically assisted as I live in a valley and all exits are uphill! DiBlasi sounds good and amazingly one of the 2 uk stockists listed on the official site is only about 20 minutes away from me. Any negative feedback heard about this particular model?
strictly for what its worth, id get a trailer and pedelec (something like a kalkhoff) then you'd have serious grunt and speed and offroad ability and quality and the flexibility to have a standalone pedelec when not travelling with the terriers..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Fortunately from the safety point of view the DiBlasi is very slow, but unfortunately it's folding nature, though very clever indeed, makes it rather bendy on the road. It also tends to lose traction on left hand turns due to it's one wheel drive from both motor and pedals.

Altogether not a very pleasant ride for anyone used to cycling.

By all means try one and see for yourself though, since they are so close to you.

3x3

Just Joined
Aug 31, 2014
Well thank you everyone for your input. Bit alarming there's a 100% chance of me crashing in the first month. Is this because - I haven't ridden a tricycle since I was a child, it's a DiBlasi and it's unstable, an electric tricycle, I'm female with 2 terriers or because I'm in a very rural location? I'm not a speed fiend, I just want to go places with the dogs without getting in my landrover. I'm fit but don't fancy hauling the 2 passengers up ascents without some help....
I appreciate that a trailer with a bicycle could be an option but storing the trailer would be difficult and really I wouldn't want to take the bike out without the dogs.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Because it's a trike and you haven't ridden one for many years, and also an adult upright trike is very different from a kiddy's trike.

However, the DiBlasi I tried only managed about 12 mph trying hard and is more comfortable at about 8 mph, so that helps.

3x3

Just Joined
Aug 31, 2014
Thanks for your message flecc, it must have been posted while I was replying to the previous posts. I haven't ridden a bike for over 35 years so I don't imagine I'm going to be approaching corners at any great speed. My ideal is pottering through quiet country lanes to get to different walks for the dogs than those immediately around the village.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Probably ok once you get used to a trike again then. But since they are so close I'd definitely advise you to try riding one before buying, just to be sure.

If you do buy one, you'll have to set aside some time for demonstrating the fold to others you meet. It's so clever and has plenty of spectator appeal!

3x3

Just Joined
Aug 31, 2014
Thanks for the advice, I'll give the local stockist a ring tomorrow and go from there. As it's known in the village that I'm into gizmos the locals will all want a demo of how it folds if I get one so I'll have to factor that in when I set off on it!

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I haven't ridden a trike since I was about five years old but I have ridden a motorbike and sidecar many years ago. It can't be a lot different can it? You can't lean it, so you lean your body instead. A bit different to a sidecar since you also use the throttle to drive round the third wheel with that but similar surely?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A bit different John, in that an adult trike can tip quite easily to either side.

The DiBlasi driving only the left rear wheel means right turns are easier since one can use that drive to facilitate the turn. Left turns can be difficult in some circumstances, particularly when turning into an up slope, since the necessary drive all on the left wheel is fighting against the steering need.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Clearly needs lots of negative camber on the back wheels, and good suspension. Plus a BPM on the front wheel...

There are modern fully enclosed motorbike like city trikes which various people are always trying to bring to market with the front wheel and passenger compartment leaning, and the back wheels staying horizontal. In fact the old railway delivery bike/vans did something like that I remember.

A modern version of that makes a lot more sense in the rush hour than the normal one standard sized car for one person filling the roads.

Reactions: flecc