Help! Voilamart 26” front hub looking for repair

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
The switch on the battery will just feed power to the controller. Isn't there a throttle with a switch on it? Like this:

View attachment 37730

One way to tell if the controller is switched on is to see if you have power (ie 36V) on the lamp power out cable (no. 1):

View attachment 37731

It is very important you check continuity of the fat cables from the controller to inside the hub. These are the most critical wires.
yes I have a throttle like this with a power and battery indicator next to it. That lights up , must admit I thought the throttle and the on switch were 2 separate things .
I’ll check the lamp wire when home

so I think I checked thick cables from controller To board but noT those goinginside motor I assume I can check them at the point where they go in and not try to go right inside ?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
One way to tell if the controller is switched on is to see if you have power (ie 36V) on the lamp power out cable (no. 1):
That only checks that the battery is connected. you have to measure the 5v to see if the controller is actually switched on.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
That only checks that the battery is connected. you have to measure the 5v to see if the controller is actually switched on.
On the Voilamart controller, power is only given to the LED lamp circuit once the throttle on/off switch is activated.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think you may have misunderstood about phase wire continuation testing.
If one reads back I believe I said, to check the phase continuation one has to check from one end to the other which means from the controller end phases to the hub motor phase wires.
I also mentioned that the phases in the hub disappeared in to the windings so to get a contact cut the wire sheathing so the probes get a good contact, then use tape to repair sheathing to prevent any shorting issue later.
In #5 I alluded/referred to the procedure.

The later controller phase wire testing was to confirm controller mosfets were good.

Last edited:

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
yes I have a throttle like this with a power and battery indicator next to it. That lights up , must admit I thought the throttle and the on switch were 2 separate things .
I’ll check the lamp wire when home

so I think I checked thick cables from controller To board but noT those goinginside motor I assume I can check them at the point where they go in and not try to go right inside ?

Ok, that's a good sign that you get the light coming on at the throttle. The LED lamp output then should be live too.

The fat motor wires do not go to the Hall sensor PCB in the motor. There are no pads for these. There is some shrinkwrap around the ends of the fat wires inside the motor that are joined to clusters of the copper coloured windings. You could try to get a probe into the end of this shrinkwrap, or you could make a small incision on the insulation of the fat wire inside the motor before it gets to the copper windings, then repair the insulation afterwards. Ah, I see Nealh has beat me to it. :)

The important thing is you need to see that you have continuity in the fat motor wires either side of where they go through the hub's axle, where there could be a break.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Sorry think I misunderstood you.
You advised to check
On the Voilamart controller, power is only given to the LED lamp circuit once the throttle on/off switch is activated.
sorry I’m confused . The on off switch on the handle bar gives power to pedal assist as well as throttle . Neither would work if this is switched off . (With a working motor of course)
Only clarifying cos u refer to it as throttle on/off switch . Have I misunderstood?

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Sorry think I misunderstood you.
You advised to check

sorry I’m confused . The on off switch on the handle bar gives power to pedal assist as well as throttle . Neither would work if this is switched off . (With a working motor of course)
Only clarifying cos u refer to it as throttle on/off switch . Have I misunderstood?

Yes, the throttle switch needs to be on. I needed to clarify as you mentioned "battery switch". A lot of battery packs have a switch to turn then on and off separate from the controller and they would not turn the controller on by themselves.

Have a look at my post #103. Look at the small red circles in the picture. Those are the points where you need to test continuity between the motor and the controller.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
I think you may have misunderstood about phase wire continuation testing.
If one reads back I believe I said, to check the phase continuation one has to check from one end to the other which means from the controller end phases to the hub motor phase wires.
I also mentioned that the phases in the hub disappeared in to the windings so to get a contact cut the wire sheathing so the probes get a good contact, then use tape to repair sheathing to prevent any shorting issue later.
In #5 I alluded/referred to the procedure.

The later controller phase wire testing was to confirm controller mosfets were good.
Thanks Nealh . I assume you mean just immediately outside where they Disappear into the motor . I dint have to try and get into the motor where they disappear

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Yes, the throttle switch needs to be on. I needed to clarify as you mentioned "battery switch". A lot of battery packs have a switch to turn then on and off separate from the controller and they would not turn the controller on by themselves.

Have a look at my post #103. Look at the small red circles in the picture. Those are the points where you need to test continuity between the motor and the controller.
Thanks again

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Thanks Nealh . I assume you mean just immediately outside where they Disappear into the motor . I dint have to try and get into the motor where they disappear

Look again at the figure from post #103:

You've got to measure continuity from around these points to the controller, pay particular attention to the small red circles.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Ok, that's a good sign that you get the light coming on at the throttle. The LED lamp output then should be live too.

The fat motor wires do not go to the Hall sensor PCB in the motor. There are no pads for these. There is some shrinkwrap around the ends of the fat wires inside the motor that are joined to clusters of the copper coloured windings. You could try to get a probe into the end of this shrinkwrap, or you could make a small incision on the insulation of the fat wire inside the motor before it gets to the copper windings, then repair the insulation afterwards. Ah, I see Nealh has beat me to it. :)

The important thing is you need to see that you have continuity in the fat motor wires either side of where they go through the hub's axle, where there could be a break.
Thank you . You know the worst job I had this far?
Trying to line up the bloody holes for the screws to put the pedal/Battery housing Back on .

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Look again at the figure from post #103:

View attachment 37733

You've got to measure continuity from around these points to the controller, pay particular attention to the small red circles.
No, that's not how to test the phase wire continuity. You check from from one wire to the next at the other end of the cable, between each pair, like green to blue, yellow to blue and yellow to green. when you've done that, you should check between each wire and the axle to make sure there isn't a short. From the photo, I'd say that the guy has already repaired all the damage to the motor cable.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
No, that's not how to test the phase wire continuity. You check from from one wire to the next at the other end of the cable, between each pair, like green to blue, yellow to blue and yellow to green. when you've done that, you should check between each wire and the axle to make sure there isn't a short. From the photo, I'd say that the guy has already repaired all the damage to the motor cable.

Yes, that's what I meant, I typed in a hurry, without thinking how it could be understood. Thanks for making it clearer for Mike.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Thank you . You know the worst job I had this far?
Trying to line up the bloody holes for the screws to put the pedal/Battery housing Back on .
Put the covers back on? You never want to do that!

Always best to leave at least one screw out to fool the e-bike pixies into thinking you haven't quite finished the job... :D

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Ok I’m sorry I’m lost now .
I Already did a test between the different phase colours at controller end and Nealh Said I’d confused that with the mosfet test . So Nealh and vfr are saying tests from controller to the red circles. And I think you are saying test across the colours for continuity At controller end ? ?
Followed by test from Small circles to just outside axle ??
am I right ?

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
I Already did a test between the different phase colours at controller end and Nealh Said I’d confused that with the mosfet test . So Nealh and vfr are saying tests from controller to the red circles. And I think you are saying test across the colours for continuity At controller end ? ?
am I right ?
I don’t know who is saying what sorry vfr . So is my understanding above correct ?

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
am I right ?

You've got to do this in steps.

One is to check continuity from each of the fat wires (around where the red circles are inside the motor) to the corresponding fat wire at the controller. Then you need to check between phases (at both before and after the motor - there could be a break and a short) and then between the metal of the hub and each fat wire.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
You've got to do this in steps.

One is to check continuity from each of the fat wires (around where the red circles are inside the motor) to the corresponding fat wire at the controller. Then you need to check between phases (at both before and after the motor - there could be a break and a short) and then between the metal of the hub and each fat wire.
Just start with step one and report back.