Voilemart Low Power

GrahamW

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 6, 2021
Can anyone assist with a power problem please. Just fitted a Voilemart 250w 36v front wheel hub kit powered by a 36v 10ah battery. The hub power is very poor and not enough to propel the bike up hills. Has anyone had experience of this problem or aware of the likely problem. (not a weight issue only 75kg ). The only part of the kit not installed yet is the pas and the power is controlled using the manufacturers push throttle. Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Did you have it on level 5 on the LCD?

Can you show us exactly the listing of the kit you have?

GrahamW

Feb 6, 2021
Did you have it on level 5 on the LCD?

Can you show us exactly the listing of the kit you have?
Hi, thanks for responding. The kit I have was supplied by Voilemart I will have to look up the exact product code. Basically it is the 250w front wheel hub 36v kit c/w their own controller. They also supplied the thumb push throttle which does activate the motor when held down and stops when released. The kit doesn't have an LCD display the throttle just had a power capacity screen showing a range from full to empty.
I did watch a youtube video with Tom Donnelly fitting the same kit, he mentioned a lack of power without the PAS sensor fitted (which a friend will hopefully fit shortly) but I thought the PAS didn't affect the power output but might be mistaken. I hope that clarifies the kit I will look for the kit reference. Many thanks

Reactions: Pedaluma

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
Hi, thanks for responding. The kit I have was supplied by Voilemart I will have to look up the exact product code. Basically it is the 250w front wheel hub 36v kit c/w their own controller. They also supplied the thumb push throttle which does activate the motor when held down and stops when released. The kit doesn't have an LCD display the throttle just had a power capacity screen showing a range from full to empty.
I did watch a youtube video with Tom Donnelly fitting the same kit, he mentioned a lack of power without the PAS sensor fitted (which a friend will hopefully fit shortly) but I thought the PAS didn't affect the power output but might be mistaken. I hope that clarifies the kit I will look for the kit reference. Many thanks
Did Voilamart kit not include the PAS sensor?

GrahamW

Feb 6, 2021
Yes have the pas sensor just waiting for a colleague to remove the pedal arm and fit it have been warned to be cautious because of the aluminium thread. Will see if that resolves the problem thanks.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The problem with those cheap kits is that they don't have the functions that make a bike nice to ride. I'm assuming that you don't have an LCD with 5 levels of assist. If that's so, the pedal sensor might allow more power than the throttle, but it's pretty useless regarding power control. If you have the LCD version, it might be worth giving the PAS a go, otherwise, a new controller should sort you out. Don't rush out and buy a cheap one. Get a KT sinewave one.

Show some photos of what you have otherwise all we can do is guess.

GrahamW

Feb 6, 2021
The problem with those cheap kits is that they don't have the functions that make a bike nice to ride. I'm assuming that you don't have an LCD with 5 levels of assist. If that's so, the pedal sensor might allow more power than the throttle, but it's pretty useless regarding power control. If you have the LCD version, it might be worth giving the PAS a go, otherwise, a new controller should sort you out. Don't rush out and buy a cheap one. Get a KT sinewave one.

Show some photos of what you have otherwise all we can do is guess.
Thank you. Yes no LCD only the battery charge small LCD. I will take some pictures and see if I can upload to you tomorrow if that's ok. Not sure how to do that on this site I am a newcomer. Other than that have no issues providing my email address which I can cope with. Thank again will research the controller you mention.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thank you. Yes no LCD only the battery charge small LCD. I will take some pictures and see if I can upload to you tomorrow if that's ok. Not sure how to do that on this site I am a newcomer. Other than that have no issues providing my email address which I can cope with. Thank again will research the controller you mention.
You take a photo on your phone, transfer it to your PC or the cloud, then, at the top of the post is a picture, click on that and drag the photo into it. It couldn't be simpler.

Where is your controller mounted at the moment?

GrahamW

Feb 6, 2021
You take a photo on your phone, transfer it to your PC or the cloud, then, at the top of the post is a picture, click on that and drag the photo into it. It couldn't be simpler.

Where is your controller mounted at the moment?
The controller is just connected up and loosely gathered into the supplied controller bag whilst I initially checked I had a live connection. I have simply done a couple of short rides outside home which is on a slight incline but it won't cope with it.
Agree this type of installation is a stop gap to a factory built bike I was just making use of a good Raleigh bike I have had for sometime and to get me out more on it in these times.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon