VOSA individual vehicle approval for electric bike

JOB100

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 23, 2013
Hi

Anyone got any experience of trying to register a more powerful electric bicycle with VOSA? I would like to build something like a 1000 W pedelec for commuting and wondered what the process was like her in the uk, how much it costs, what you have to do etc.

Many thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It depends on the speed. If you are creating a 1000 watt one in the Low Powered Moped class, restricted to 15.6 mph assist speed, it may be less demanding, but I have never heard of anyone doing that so no practical experience.

If you want the S class assist speeds over that, it becomes very difficult, basically meaning bring a bike up to moped standards. That involves such things as using a moped headlight, arranging rear number plate illumination and stop light, fitting motorcycle approved tyres, meeting braking standards etc. And of course a suitable driving licence is necessary for both of the above.

I've heard of two people doing the latter, but both had a difficult and potentially expensive time.

In January 2017 new type approval laws come into force, making the two classes above L1e-A and L1e-B respectively. The proposed requirements for L1e-A will be eased but L1e-B looks much the same. One assumes that the SVA process will conform to any changes in the type approval law then, but little is ever said about that.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013