Wacky Projects for Summer 2009

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Has anyone got any interesting projects or ideas (connected with ebikes) planned for the coming summer?

Here's my lastest:

Modify my existing golf trolley and turn it into a golf trolley/trailer to fit behind my electric bike.
I think the wheels from my Mule trailer will fit, with some slight modification.
Of course, need to be able to change them back once there – can’t leave cycle wheel marks on the green.
Local golf course is only 4 miles away.
So it would be an 8 mile round trip – well within the battery range.

Last edited:

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Has anyone got any interesting projects or ideas (connected with ebikes) planned for the coming summer?

Here's my lastest:

Modify my existing golf trolley and turn it into a golf trolley/trailer to fit behind my electric bike.
I think the wheels from my Mule trailer will fit, with some slight modification.
Of course, need to be able to change them back once there – can’t leave cycle wheel marks on the green.
Local golf course is only 4 miles away.
So it would be an 8 mile round trip – well within the battery range.
What about going the whole hog and modifying it completely and turning the trolley into an electric golf buggy and then you could ride around the course.... damn.. someone has already thought of that:D

bw
musicbooks

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
I have 1 Wacky 'thought' project where I post pictures and dimensions of my wide safety trailer.

Safety as in bringing increased safety for the cyclist, and Wacky 'cos I have mentioned it several times but people would rather deal with the dangers in other ways.
But who is Wacky? For 20+ years I have cycled in equanimity and harmony with those overtaking.

After 12 months of plaster the technician said "don't knock that foot, no-one will put it back." I had reason to believe him.

The trailer is wider than it is long and tows outboard of the bike to keep other vehicles at an acceptable spacing while being overtaken.
The ultra lightweight steel frame has a telescopic towbar for long loads and the baker's basket clips in for easy removal.

It was towed inboard for the safer carriage of grandchildren, two at a time and the 'boys' are now 6' 2" and 6' 3".

I do not use my bikes without the trailer and while I notice that left hand drive cars come closest, no vehicle has caused concern while overtaking.

In my opinion gaining the interest of the aproaching driver is most important, this thing is unusual, a sight not seen before and to arouse curiosity.

Dave

Ninelives

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2008
I have a child buggy type trailer that I use at times but not for children, I use it to take my dog out to the country side for a walk.

I have noticed drivers giving me a very wide berth when they are passing or they hang back not wanting to pass to close, I think some drivers dont mind taking the risk of knocking over an adult cyclist but fear being blamed for injuring a child that may be in the child trailer.

I would like to see a picture of your safety trailer , although I would not want to have to use one attached all the time as it takes away the freedom of using a bike as a bike :)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree about the safety aspect Dave, drivers giving me wide berth when I'm using my large trailer, especially when it has a large load on board.

I wouldn't use it all the time though, partly through the added drag and partly because the congested areas I often cycle in makes it impractical.

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
Panasonic Power

Greetings Ninelives,

Your observations are exactly in line with my belief that there are some drivers who dis-regard cyclists as being non-people.
Inasmuch as cyclists are seen and position noted more as an obstacle to be overcome rather than fragile flesh and blood people easily smashed and more easily frightened.
I believe your child trailer is being noted in an entirely different way to a cyclist and this attention causes a different set of mental data to be brought into use.

There, David the cyclistanalist. I plead the Fifth and promise to take my hillbilly medication.

In the 20 years Before Electrifying I would take the path from Paxton over the border at the Chain Bridge into England, down the riverside on green fields and cattle paths, over fences (a single lynch pin on the trailer) down the Haugh to Tweedmouth.
Freedom? You betcha. :D

flecc,
There aint no way I can compete with yours!

Mine was made to accept the rim of a standard baker's tray into a frame of 14mm square tubing with the drawbar being of 19mm so it is lightweight. The heaviest parts are the 12 X 2.5? inch ball-bearing wheelchair wheels.
The tray is 50cm fore and aft and 75cm wide which is well within the 85cm permitted for a class 3 invalid carriage when on the pavement.
The nearside wheel tracks about 13cm inside the rear wheel of the bike so I am taking up only a wee bit more than the width of my elbows.
I have read that in 1902 the HIgh Court decided that a bicycle was a carriage within the Act and so entitled to a carriagewidth.

As for the drag, I don't know if the Panasonic is aware of it but don't feel it at all. :D :D

Dave

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
Living in the Isle of Man my project has been to design an ebike for people with three legs, something that has been sadly and inexcusably overlooked by the major manufacturers.

I started by having one pedal and crank on one side of the chainring and two on the other side. The problem was that on each rotation the two legs on the one same side got hopelessly tangled up with each other, with dire results. The most promising solution is to have a split frame with a gap of about a foot in the middle. There is a central pedal, driven by the middle leg, connected to both chainrings, only one of which actually has a chain connected. The drawback is the extra weight of the split frame but this is offset by being able to harness the power of the middle leg. A further advantage is that there is a gap wide enough to house a large battery between the frame(s).

Do you think Kalkoff or Wisper would be interested in producing them?

Last edited:

Grumpy1

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2009
Not wanting to sound like a dragon from Dragon's Den, but I can see holes in this pitch. where's your market? I mean, for the three legged people out there, their power/weight ration is much higher than a standard person, therefor negating the need for electric assistance.

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
Not wanting to sound like a dragon from Dragon's Den, but I can see holes in this pitch. where's your market? I mean, for the three legged people out there, their power/weight ration is much higher than a standard person, therefor negating the need for electric assistance.
You are right, of course, Grumpy1 (though we three legged people are prone to lower back and hip problems which does make an assisted bike beneficial). However the beauty of my concept is that it would work equally well for an unassisted bike. Believe it or not, nobody is currently catering for that market so I see huge(ish) potential there.

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

The wacky project for me is to try and cycle to the peak district with only a credit card and a waterbottle.

Thx

bob

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
You silly mussell
I live in Derby and will load my panniers with spare underwear, map, credit card, charger, battery, binoculear and camera, map.

Anyone know any good B&B in village in Peak district as I have never been before

Thx Bob

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

Woudl the pannier turn into a tent? or use the tent as a pannier?

Do you have example, I am worried there is no bar on a campsite? or do you mean in a field all on my own?

Can you send a picture what is decathlon is it a nice place to camp?

thx

Bob

Hooligooner

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2008
HP13
hooligooner.blogspot.com
I've had thoughts of adding a second currie motor to my old Izip to cope with the additional amps, converting the behind the saddle battery to a 24V ping, adding a second rack mounted 24V ping, which are wired together to give 48V and uprating the controller to suit. Just to see what would happen.