Want to build a low drag commuter

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i doubt you will get much more than 20 mph assistance from the hub motor and will suck at climbing hills if you have any and would feel like a big downgrade power wise from the cx motor.

im in the same place as have a brand new cx motor and kiox display on my 2014 bike and a fresh batt would make it as brand new but i have spent bucks on it with upgrades over the years and do all the work my self bar the motor.

DSC_0123_03.JPG

just under 24kg with 1.1kg sg tyres each end ;)

DSC_0125_02.JPG

£150 quid and that will be good as new but like anything with moving parts that transfer gear has taken a hammering over the years with a dongle fitted :p

Deno

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2018
Dublin
I live up a big hill…

like you I have upgraded the bike over the past few years. Wired in lights, mudguards, rack and panniers. I do all the work myself too - I enjoy it actually. It’s pretty much a bombproof commuter now, just a bit tired. I would be tempted to just upgrade to a newer Bosch ebike but the anti-tampering software is putting me off.

That’s where the idea is coming from to buy a new bike and convert it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
to date every dongle still works on the latest motors tho now they have the smart gen 4 motors it could be one update from it bricking the dongle esp if it is wired in to the motor.

if i had to buy a new bike it would be this with dual batts. ;)

Deno

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2018
Dublin
Apparently the latest software will put the bike into limp mode if you have motor assistance over 35kph for a period of time. You have to get it unblocked by the dealer. Nanny state nonsense from the EU.

beautiful bike that Frey!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is a lie as ebike shop will fit dongles and honor the warranty.

my cx motor had the latest's update but because i went went from purion to kiox after i installed it so now needs a dealer update £30 to push a fkn button! :rolleyes:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
What’s the lifespan of a tdsz2 or a bbs mid drive though? I read on here that the need frequent strip downs etc. I’d rather stick with 18k km troublefree from my Bosch.

I suppose I’m asking is there a hub drive kit that can take a TS and still do 40k+.

I could just buy a new battery alright but the rest of the bike is worn. It will need new wheels / gear cables / tyres soon. Headset needs attention too. It’s getting a bit like triggers broom. And when all that’s done it will probably still need charging at each end of my 16k commute as it’s a big heavy mtb that pushes a lot of air at 40kph.
When you say 40 kph, do you mean assistance to 40, or just able to be pedalled beyond 25kph without resistance? Your Bosch ought to be the latter.

There are plenty of hub motors that will do 40kph, again I would point you to ebikes.ca and look at the motor simulator, but none that are 250W UK compliant.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I live up a big hill…

like you I have upgraded the bike over the past few years. Wired in lights, mudguards, rack and panniers. I do all the work myself too - I enjoy it actually. It’s pretty much a bombproof commuter now, just a bit tired. I would be tempted to just upgrade to a newer Bosch ebike but the anti-tampering software is putting me off.

That’s where the idea is coming from to buy a new bike and convert it.
Aren't mid motors better for hills? My mid-drive eats hills for breakfast.

Deno

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2018
Dublin
Bosch CX is currently derestricted/dongles so assists to whatever speed you can keep up with - aero is the limiting factor. The hill I have to ride up is 5-10% but is about 1k long so should be fine for a geared hub.

Deno

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2018
Dublin
I've done a good bit of searching and all I can say is that thru-axles are a curse! Very few gravel type bikes are now QR and even less of them have hydraulic brakes. So ive narrowed it down to 4 bikes.

VECTOR DROP — Orbea
Beautiful bike but expensive. Not sure I need Tiagra and it has a press fit BB which may be an issue if I want a TS bottom bracket sensor.

Boardman CXR 8.9 Cyclocross Bike - S, M, L, XL Frames | Halfords UK
Cheaper than the Orbea and I like the simplicity of 1x11. A bit racy for a daily and would need new tyres for pavement. Unsure about tyre clearance.

Breezer Bikes - Radar-expert
A wildcard but I like it. Tough steel frame with upright geometry. Massive tyre clearance. Threaded BB. Only issue is cable actuated hydraulics but I think I could live with it.

Also liked the Cube Nuroad but they all have cable disks and the cost to upgrade brings you up to the Orbea.

I did up a comparison but I'm leaning towards the Breezer Radar if I can get it in my size

Deno

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2018
Dublin
Also thinking that I might go with a KT type controller initially and see how I get on rather than go directly for a torque sensor.

- Anyone know what setup I need to cruise at 40kph?
- Is the 135mm 9mm QR dropout an issue?
- Are 32h rims an issue to lace to a Hub motor (Q128?)?

Thanks

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Number plates, indicators, insurance, driver's license, road fund license...?
And of course with the new highway code rules should you run into someone on an illegally modified bike and seriously injure them, the chances of an actual prison sentence are dramatically increased.
Doesnt matter how good or competent a rider you are, all it takes is one pedestrian not looking and you're up poo river without an outboard.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Number plates, indicators, insurance, driver's license, road fund license...?
Mirrors, M/B Helmet, basically MSVA certification and all that it entails,

toygarzop

Just Joined
Apr 7, 2022
i have a 21t on the front of my bike but as it uses the bosch small chain ring it is reduced buy 2.5 so if i had a normal size chain ring it would be 53t.

stargazer30

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2020
op was asking about tyre clearance on the cxr 8.9. I’ve got one I use as a gravel bike and I run 38c schwalbe g one tyres and there’s just enough room to get a full range guard in too. Lovely bike too.

Reactions: Deno