Want to replace Promax brakes on Wisper

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
Hello everyone

I have the awful promax brakes on my wisper905se and I want to swap them for decent brakes.

Can someone please recommend any? And are they difficult to install?

Many thanks

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
They aren't all that bad. I found the original brake cable was terrible, after I replaced it I was able to set the brake up properly.
I have also found the brake pads seem to glaze like car pads can do if only ever used softly, I need to make a point of firm braking to prevent it which is annoying but I guess is the same with any disk brake.

stevew

Pedelecer
Is it a disc or rim brake ?
If it's a rim I suppose the real way to get a significant improvement is to fit something like Magura Hydraulic rim brakes HS11. They are designed to fit where Vee brakes were so they should fit the wisper OK. The only thing you will need to check out is that there is enough clearance over the top of the tyre to accommodate the brake booster and the locating "arch". I have them on my conventional touring bike and they are really maintenance free, powerful and well modulated.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Is it a disc or rim brake ?
As he says Promax I'm guessing it's the disk brakes that come on the sport model, the others have V-brakes on the fixed forks.
Although I find the Promax brake good I can't shake the glazed pads feel, as the roads were good today I tried some heavy braking and found I'm unable to lock up the front with just snow tyres fitted. I know cable brakes aren't anywhere near as good as hydraulic so the Promax brakes may be as good as any other model of cable brake. It is however reliable and feels good to use so I'm in no rush to replace it, but do wish pads were more freely available as I've only seen the medium compound as sold on eBay.
Does anyone have a cable operated disk brake that will pitch them over the bars easily?

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I agree with your point about 'glazed' pads. When I replaced mine after a only a thousand miles or so, they were a long way from worn out, but weren't working effectively. The surface was very shiny and, well, glazed! The bike hadn't been used much since August which may have been a factor.

FWIW the original rear rim brake on my Wisper was also a Promax.

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Hello everyone

I have the awful promax brakes on my wisper905se and I want to swap them for decent brakes.

Can someone please recommend any? And are they difficult to install?

Many thanks
Hi

Mussels is right about the cable, a switch to Goodridge, or Jagwire cables will make a big difference. The other problem is brake lever travel - on the original levers this is very limiting, but there is little you can do about it, unless you're happy about losing the brake cut-outs (not really a very big deal, I think). The worst problem with most cheap cable discs (aka Promax) is that they are rarely set up properly square to the wheel (most require careful shimming, which is almost never done) and they can be a pain to keep properly adjusted.
Replacing the Promax set up with another cable disc imho means fitting the Avid BB7. My own experience (on other non-ebikes), plus that of friends, is that this is the only cable disc set up that really hits the spot. Fitting it is very easy, adjustment and setup are a doddle, and replacement pads are readily available from most LBS's. They get my vote everytime :) .

Phil

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
The Wiggle page says 'discuntinued' and they have 1 in stock. IIRC the BB8 has superceded it, but typing Avid and BB8 into Google just gives Big Brother hits. :(
I replaced my front disk with the Avid BB07 Road Disk Brake as opposed to the BB07 MTB Disk Brake which Phil the Drill has used. This version of the brake still seems to be available (try Cycle Sports UK or Wiggle).

I don't really know what the difference between the MTB and Road version is, but it works a treat; much better setup and braking than the Promax.

Make sure you get the 160mm Rotor version (this is the same size as the existing rotor so the screw holes are in the same place; in fact you could leave the Promax rotor where it is and just replace the brake mechanism if you were feeling really lazy!).

Regards,

Elephants