WANTED Panasonic Powered Step-Through Bike (Kalkhoff Raleigh etc)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I am looking to buy a Panasonic powered ebike. It must be of the crank drive type and have a step through frame. It should also have a fully functioning motor, the battery condition is not so important.

Typical models I’d be interested in are the Kalkhoff Agattu, Tasman or Pro Connect, although I believe there were identical bikes branded Raleigh (Dover), and I think Technium or similar. All would be considered. The main points are Panasonic, working motor, step through frame.

Thank you.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am looking to buy a Panasonic powered ebike. It must be of the crank drive type and have a step through frame. It should also have a fully functioning motor, the battery condition is not so important.

Typical models I’d be interested in are the Kalkhoff Agattu, Tasman or Pro Connect, although I believe there were identical bikes branded Raleigh (Dover), and I think Technium or similar. All would be considered. The main points are Panasonic, working motor, step through frame.

Thank you.
Here's a list of some of the pedelec makes which have used the Panasonic crank unit second series:

BH, newer Biketec Flyers, Calvin, Gazelle, Gitane, Helkama, Kalkhoff, Kettler, KTM, Monark, Moover, newer Panasonic, Puch, Raleigh gmbh (Dover and Leeds models), Rixe, Simplex, Technium, Victoria .

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Here's a list of some of the pedelec makes which have used the Panasonic crank unit second series:

BH, newer Biketec Flyers, Calvin, Gazelle, Gitane, Helkama, Kalkhoff, Kettler, KTM, Monark, Moover, newer Panasonic, Puch, Raleigh gmbh (Dover and Leeds models), Rixe, Simplex, Technium, Victoria .
Thanks flecc, I knew that with the Panasonic motor being so popular 8 to 10 years ago, there would be more brands using it.

I wonder how many are now stored in garden sheds & garages, unloved and not used?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks flecc, I knew that with the Panasonic motor being so popular 8 to 10 years ago, there would be more brands using it.

I wonder how many are now stored in garden sheds & garages, unloved and not used?
Considering that many were bought be old people who give up riding with increasing frailty, probably hundreds in Britain and thousands on the continent.

The saddest thing is what can happen after death. Those clearing up and seeing a bike with battery off, flat tyres and filthy will probably consign it to the council recycling centre as metal scrap, unaware of its true worth.

Advertising for a Panasonic unit equipped bike wouldn't help either, since all the uninitiated see is the bike brand. Since the battery will be off in many cases there'll be no visible mention of Panasonic on the machine.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I'm afraid I will have to play my "before my time" card:), but I am interested to know why they are a desirable motor now.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I'm afraid I will have to play my "before my time" card:), but I am interested to know why they are a desirable motor now.
The Panasonic motor of that era was and still is virtually bomb proof. It’s a crank drive unit which bolts onto a bespoke frame. I still use a Panasonic powered Kalkhoff Pro Connect which I bought in 2008. It’s done about 25000 miles now and is far more reliable and just as adequate as my friend’s 2016 Kalkhoff Impulse motored model.

My wife has shown an interest in biking, so I’m on the lookout for a step through model. I know Panasonic powered bikes / motors very well and can’t think of any reason to buy something more recent. It would be a great shame if dozens of perfectly good bikes are being scrapped by relatives of deceased former owners, but I suspect flecc is correct in his assumption.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My wife has shown an interest in biking, so I’m on the lookout for a step through model.
A to B Magazine, online and print, are also fans of the Panasonic unit and many of their readers have bought them.

They still run their Free "for sale and wanted ads" in both, so you could advertise for one there:

Here's the link to the page.

Just send the wording by email to atob@atob.org.uk

Last edited:

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have one of 2007/8 vintage hanging up in a tall garage on a pulley. At 27 kgs, it's pretty useless on anything even resembling a hill but a lovely comfortable ride on the flat. It's only 26v so hardly a bundle of fire.

It's not for sale though.:rolleyes: Information only!

Tom

• :D

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I have one of 2007/8 vintage hanging up in a tall garage on a pulley. At 27 kgs, it's pretty useless on anything even resembling a hill but a lovely comfortable ride on the flat. Tom
I don’t doubt your perception and I’ve heard other people say the same. My Pro Connect is a 26 Volt 2008 model and it would climb up the side of a house. The climbing ability and power is tremendous & always has been.

I wonder if there is a wide manufacturing variation in power between motor units?

• Agree
Reactions: oriteroom

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Really glad you're keeping the faith Tillson. I think you and I agree the Panasonic Kalkhoff of 2008 to 2011 are some of best and most reliable ebikes ever made. Current Kalkhoffs with Impulse motors just do not compare.. My wife and I have absolutely no lack of power, in fact just this week have been cycling in Cornwall and Devon. Today, cycled up from Ilfracombe on the A361, which the Tour of Britain will be doing tomorrow. Some climb that.

I have managed in the past 18 months to pick up two 2009 ProConnects which had only done about 1000 miles each, been well look after and both about £400. Wanted these as backup for when our original bikes (17,000 miles each and still original batts) finally bite the dust. No sign yet tho'. Just keep a regular eye on ebay. I have alerts when new posting come up.

• Agree

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Really glad you're keeping the faith Tillson. I think you and I agree the Panasonic Kalkhoff of 2008 to 2011 are some of best and most reliable ebikes ever made. Current Kalkhoffs with Impulse motors just do not compare.. My wife and I have absolutely no lack of power, in fact just this week have been cycling in Cornwall and Devon. Today, cycled up from Ilfracombe on the A361, which the Tour of Britain will be doing tomorrow. Some climb that.

I have managed in the past 18 months to pick up two 2009 ProConnects which had only done about 1000 miles each, been well look after and both about £400. Wanted these as backup for when our original bikes (17,000 miles each and still original batts) finally bite the dust. No sign yet tho'. Just keep a regular eye on ebay. I have alerts when new posting come up.
Your experience of these bikes seems to match mine. Well done keeping them going. I’ll certainly be looking out on ebay.

Marina

Just Joined
Oct 18, 2018
Hi,

Are you still looking as I have a Black Technium and also a Gazelle which I have not used for quite a while.

Marina