Waterproof boots/shoes

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Pair of old Brasher walking boots and waterproofs long enough to go over them....Gonna experiment with some cut off wetsuit arm/leg bits to use as gaiters to go over the top of the boot yet seal around the ankle/calf when not using the waterproofs- I ride flats and this could prevent puddle splashes getting down the boot?
I've heard wellies are good, I got a pair of mens "Bog Boots" from work which are not only waterproof but super insulated, not tried them yet on the bike... not cheap though.
https://bogsfootwear.co.uk/shop/style/51377-001.html

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Decathlon overtrousers include shoe covers at the bottom of each leg

Keeps my non waterproof shoes clean & dry, and doesn’t interfere with the cleats
+1

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
Just eyeing the weather outside and contemplating my ride home later (yes, I cycle commute in all weathers), I just wanted to give a shout out for the cheap waterproof boots I am using. I can't stand wellies, though I know others here love them, but if you are in the same camp as me, I am cycling with these Decathlon Snow Boots. For £25 they are great value, comfortable and warm. My feet have been bone dry since I bought these in December.

The link for them is here https://www.decathlon.co.uk/m-sh-sh100-warm-mid-black-id_8367613.html

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Just eyeing the weather outside and contemplating my ride home later (yes, I cycle commute in all weathers), I just wanted to give a shout out for the cheap waterproof boots I am using. I can't stand wellies, though I know others here love them, but if you are in the same camp as me, I am cycling with these Decathlon Snow Boots. For £25 they are great value, comfortable and warm. My feet have been bone dry since I bought these in December.

The link for them is here https://www.decathlon.co.uk/m-sh-sh100-warm-mid-black-id_8367613.html
I wouldn't like wearing ordinary wellies - but neoprene ones are great!

Mine are just the ones from Aldi, within pence of twenty quid a pair, sold for fishing.

Obviously unsuited to lightweight cycling but with my heavy beast, they are fine.

With a reasonably waterproof jacket, I can survive a bit of rain without getting too wet. But, as someone said earlier in this thread, with overtrousers they are really waterproof.

When it has been raining, and surfaces are wet, and puddles abound, these wellies keep your feet nice and dry and you really don't need anything else. And reasonably warm.

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Even on the eMTB, I now wear either wellies with cheapo waterproof trousers from Screwfix, or BB overshoes.

Keeping things waterproof is easy, preventing water going down in from the ankle is the trickier part, which is where waterproof trousers come into their own.

BB overshoes.

oxhfBy.jpg

Reactions: oyster

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Can you help me to find truly waterproof boots/shoes
Finally wellies are not an option ;)
Not that this helps the OP, but since this thread gets resurrected every now and again, I'll add my two penny's worth!
I dislike riding without clipless pedals. Doubly so when its raining as unless you have pins in your flat pedals, I find your feet can slip around far too easily. Hence I have SPD clips on all my bikes, and therefore I need cycling specific shoes that take cleats.
For a long time, I wasn't prepared to pay the £150+ for a decent, dedicated pair of winter cycling boots. Seemed absurdly priced! However a couple of years ago I came across some older model Scott 'MTB heaters' that were half price and in my size. I bought them, and my god ... what a revelation!
No more fiddling with overshoe covers. No more cold feet. And since they were originally a pretty expensive piece of equipment, despite looking chunky, turns out they don't weigh much more than a normal pair of MTB shoes.
I thought I'd end up wearing them for only a few dozen days of the year when it would be obviously very cold or very wet, but I love them so much and the technical materials used seem to give excellent breathability as well as water protection, I end up using them almost exclusively for any type of cycling (commuting, training, MTB, Road, whatever) for around 6 months of the year (given how cr@p our British weather is!).
My absolute favorite piece of cycling clothing. I'll never skimp again on decent winter footwear (but I'll always look for the previous years model on a blowout deal ;) )
I found the Scott (and I've found Scott clothing to be excellent as as whole), however loads of other companies such as Shimano, Northwave etc do dedicated winter boots. Might be one of those places you don't want to cheap out (too much) on! Especially if you like being clipped in.