We are family all of my sisters and me-but are we???

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hello All,

I would like to know from all you lovely people,(xxxx) that whenever you hop on to your electric bike and go for a ride,how often do you see or come across other ebike riders? I do not come across them very often,but when i do i either wave or give them a gleaming smile.
But, strangely enough some look away and keep on riding on their way like a true living "HOG".
Is this right or wrong of them,or am i wrong for acknowledging them in the first instance?
Are you a waver a smiler or a hogger?

Mountainsport.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I normally just give a nod of acknowledgment to any cyclist I see on my commute.

Some don't respond - doesn't bother me.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Time for you to learn about the special e-biker wave...

Just let me state for the record... It's complicated and involves rolling up a trouser leg, but does get you invited to all the best parties.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Time for you to learn about the special e-biker wave...

Just let me state for the record... It's complicated and involves rolling up a trouser leg, but does get you invited to all the best parties.
LOL, the queens party would be nice one to attend, providing that drum and bass music is the main attraction.:eek:

Mountainsport.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No e-bikes ever seen in my area. Cyclists are predominantly lycras and many of them respond to my smile and wave. In fact they often initiate the greeting as they overtake on the flat.

It's more the weekend sport bike wannabees who are uppity and ignore greetings.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
No e-bikes ever seen in my area. Cyclists are predominantly lycras and many of them respond to my smile and wave. In fact they often initiate the greeting as they overtake on the flat.

It's more the weekend sport bike wannabees who are uppity and ignore greetings.
Hi flecc,

I do understand you,but in terms of being over taken,install some new cycle mirrors and you find yourself being on the attack,start peddling like CRAZY!! like a pedigree dog in heat.

Mountainsport.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi flecc,

I do understand you,but in terms of being over taken,install some new cycle mirrors and you find yourself being on the attack,start peddling like CRAZY!! like a pedigree dog in heat.

Mountainsport.
I've got a mirror, but no, it's a give and take situation. I do the overtaking uphill. :)

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
I am also a smiler more so when going up hills:eek:, only seen 1 other e-bike around our area.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
If you really wanna mess with people, download Strava on your smartphone.

Not that I'd ever do anything like that!

:D

Marctwo

Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2012
Always looking to give a nod to other cyclists. And quite often pedestrians and drivers when we have the right eye contact.

Never come across an ebiker. But I don't know the secret wave anyway so I'm afraid they'd just get the same as everyone else.

trigpup

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 15, 2012
I haven't encountered any other e-bikers, although there is an ancient e-bike which is often parked outside the local Sainsbury's.

I must confess that I often stop pedalling when I pass bikes, so that they cannot here my somewhat noisy Kahlkoff's motor!

Most other cyclists, including lycarists acknowledge my wave - except for the cycle clubbers.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
If you really wanna mess with people, download Strava on your smartphone.

Not that I'd ever do anything like that!

:D
I found one of the guys I passed up a steep hill via Strava, him and his mate gave me a bit of negative banter as I passed them. They were just in the middle knocking off a 100 mile ride.

I don't have a smart phone, but may get a Garmin and have a bit of fun getting some KOM's :D

Dubster

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2012
North Yorkshire
We have recently opened an office in Acomb, York. I have been very surprised to see around 10 e-bikes over the last couple of weeks :)

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
When I smile at people they tend to recoil in horror and pull their kids in closer, so have abandoned that practice for now. But I always wave or otherwise waggle my remaining ear in the spirit of fellowship and dim and distant recollection of once shared humanity. If I meet a bunch of them pushing their bikes up a hill I might throw them a line and tow them to the top on my supra-charged tonaro (but not always)............hardly ever see another ebiker.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
When I smile at people they tend to recoil in horror and pull their kids in closer, so have abandoned that practice for now. But I always wave or otherwise waggle my remaining ear in the spirit of fellowship and dim and distant recollection of once shared humanity. If I meet a bunch of them pushing their bikes up a hill I might throw them a line and tow them to the top on my supra-charged tonaro (but not always)............hardly ever see another ebiker.
I know hech,

Please don't take this the wrong way,but do you resemble Gary Glitter at all or even slightly,because i find it very disturbing for these people to pull their kids in closer and away from when your only going for a simple ebike ride.

Mountainsport

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I've seen a few eBikers scuttling around locally, mainly on Bromptons or folders with front hub motors. None have ever made eye contact.

Actually, perhaps it's just my unapproachable aura that does it but in fairness I've rarely seen any bikers in town acknowledge each other. It would be a surprise if one did. It's all heads down - and over 75% of bikes are on the pavements not the roads anyway. It may be different in Devon - we shall see. The potholes are so bad many cyclists won't ride on road - motorists are swerving to avoid them now and have taken to painting circles around them with grafitti messages of complaint. I don't ride an eBike on pavements or parallel cycle tracks so would rarely engage with anyone.

Out of town, if I see someone coming the other way there's often a friendly exchange of nods ... but waves are few and far between this far inland :)

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
I've seen a few eBikers scuttling around locally, mainly on Bromptons or folders with front hub motors. None have ever made eye contact.

Actually, perhaps it's just my unapproachable aura that does it but in fairness I've rarely seen any bikers in town acknowledge each other. It would be a surprise if one did. It's all heads down - and over 75% of bikes are on the pavements not the roads anyway. It may be different in Devon - we shall see. The potholes are so bad many cyclists won't ride on road - motorists are swerving to avoid them now and have taken to painting circles around them with grafitti messages of complaint. I don't ride an eBike on pavements or parallel cycle tracks so would rarely engage with anyone.

Out of town, if I see someone coming the other way there's often a friendly exchange of nods ... but waves are few and far between this far inland :)
But why is this the case Alex,it's not as if the whole entire country of people own an ebike,we as ebike riders are so unique that we should be looked up to with ultimate respect.

Mountainsport.