We want a kit

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
This thread is intended to find out how many members want to get a kit. You don't have to have decided which kit you want you just have to know that you want one. You also need to be .. an average joe (male or female) .. I want to start a discussion which will help us achieve our goal. Lets have some ideas people! .. For example ...
How about starter kits? These are kits without the expensive bits. i.e a dummy battery and motor. Once the starter kit has been fitted and proved the other bits can be added later. Lets have starter kits for the following:
Front hub
Rear hub
chain drive
crank drive

Riche

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2011
Bike kit

I am trying to find a kit that will work on my scott p2, although I am not having much success.

The bike has front and rear hydrolic discs brakes which seem to complicate matters, unless anyone has or done this type of conversion ..

I saw scott now do a e-bike which is crank driven ( i can't remember the model) .

Recommendations would be appriciated.

Rich

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Have you looked at the ezee kit A rear motor will fit fine forget the brake lever switches you don't need to fit them

Frank

C

Cyclezee

Hi Riche,

Welcome to the Pedelec Forum. As Frank wrote, The eZee front or rear kit would suit your Scott as they are compatible with disc brakes, hydraulic or cable operated. You can see several eZee conversions here Gallery - Cyclezee Ltd

The crank driven Scott e-bike uses the Bosch system.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I may be after a kit...Once I can find a decent donor bike.

Looking at recent videos posted in the last day or two showing fitting etc.... the Wisper kit looks very good indeed! and I like that the battery can be fitted low in the frame.....

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I saw scott now do a e-bike which is crank driven ( i can't remember the model) .
Rich
As John(Aldby) says Scott haved teamed up with Bosch. However, there are no Bosch kits at the moment that I am aware of.
Recommendations are difficult without knowing about your planned usage. However, one thing I would recommend is to at least talk to your local experts if you have any! ... Frank and John have already introduced themselves. Check out the dealer map.

Mr A

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 23, 2008
I've just fiitted a 8 fun 36v kit to my bike, no major proplems and would recommend the kit.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I've just fiitted a 8 fun 36v kit to my bike, no major proplems and would recommend the kit.
Thanks MR A .. Where did you get it from? .. Perhaps you have a link to the kit or the suppliers website?

Mr A

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 23, 2008
I got the kit from 26" 8Fun Ebike Electric Bike Conversion Kit 36V-8F26F36 | eBay UK , after looking at various cheapish ebikes on the market (up to 1k) there was nothing really physically big enough for me (I'm 6'3" and 19 stone, so no lightweight) and they all seemed to be well under geared. So I opted to buy a bike (a Halfords Cerrea Vulcan, as I did not want to modify my existing push bike), not the best but does the job.

I've spent a weekend fitting the kit, no major problems except for :- crank sensor needed filing to fit the crank and required lock tightening in position, front brake calliper needed filing to miss the motor hub.

Up too now its been great, 16mph on the flat with the throttle and the pedal assist works very well, its knocked 8 minutes of my nine mile trek to work, not sure of the full range yet but its looking like 25 - 30 mile ish at the mo..(using pedal assist only)...

Regards,

Mr A.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I've spent a weekend fitting the kit, no major problems except for :- crank sensor needed filing to fit the crank and required lock tightening in position, front brake calliper needed filing to miss the motor hub.
Good man. Thats a success story and will be an inspiration to others. Pehaps when you have some miles under your belt you could put an entry in the electric bike review section ...

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent

peasjam

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
I am trying to find a kit that will work on my scott p2, although I am not having much success.

The bike has front and rear hydrolic discs brakes which seem to complicate matters, unless anyone has or done this type of conversion ..

Rich
I'm fitting a BMP front motor to my bike which has front/rear hydraulics. I had to change from a 160mm to a 203mm front rotor with a new calliper mounting bracket to give enough clearance (I also wanted more stopping power anyway with the extra weight). The cost was about £25 for the new avid rotor and another £4 or so for the bracket. I'm not fully set up yet, but I have test-fitted the front wheel and everything looks fine so far.

I have Avid Juicy Threes btw.

Matt.

Riche

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2011
Thanks for the welcome, replies and advise. I have a budget of around £500 .. so it looks like ezee kit is a tad to much for me at this time unless you know better?. I don't mind buying the seperate parts and building from scratch if I knew what to buy etc. It seems to be a bit of a mine field and very expensive.

I am an electronic engineer by trade so am well up for getting involved with it all.

I travel 7 miles each way to work with mild hills and sometime do 10-12 miles at lunch time so a max of 26 miles.

The story is I cycle to work with a work mate but since hes disabled he's gone and purchased a leccy bike off evil bay and now I have to peddle like mad to keep up and its killing me.

Rich

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks Eddie

More information is now available on DaaHub.

YouTube - DaaHub Electric Bike Conversion Kit - a fun intro

YouTube - DAAHUB INSTALLATION

Only very basic but gives a good idea, we will have some kits in next week and the bulk order at the end of june.

All the best

David
Thanks David! I have watched the installation video twice now...looks achievable even for a numpty like me! lol

I really like the thumb throttle and that you can lock it on, much prefer to the normal twist ones....

the search for a donor bike continues!

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
This thread is intended to find out how many members want to get a kit. You don't have to have decided which kit you want you just have to know that you want one. You also need to be .. an average joe (male or female) .. I want to start a discussion which will help us achieve our goal. Lets have some ideas people! .. For example ...
How about starter kits? These are kits without the expensive bits. i.e a dummy battery and motor. Once the starter kit has been fitted and proved the other bits can be added later. Lets have starter kits for the following:
Front hub
Rear hub
chain drive
crank drive
Do I want a kit? Well, yes, but it doesn't exist yet. I want a swappable front wheel similar to the MIT Greenwheel that was paraded a few years ago. Something powerfull enough to power a tandem for twenty miles, wireless controls, (throttle, of course1) simple enough to be fool-proof even for a fool with ten thumbs who hasn't been allowed near a spanner for years? Bring it on! ;-)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Wisper kit should be powerful? battery can be removed easily and swapping wheel back to non motor one dead easy......

rh1968

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2010
I got a full kit from BMS Battery to try out eBikes due to a breathing difficulty, whole shebang cost around £280 inc shipping (though I think I was a bit lucky on the Customs duty, which should have added about £50 as far as I can see). Cute 100 250W motor, 10ah Li-ion battery, thumb throttle, charger and controller. Really delighted with it so far, attached to one of my road bikes. I use it relatively sparingly, always on uphills, on flats when tired or into a headwind. Using it thus I can get 50 miles plus from the battery, though of course this would decrease sharply with heavier use. The only drawback is the slight drag from the motor when riding without power, but this can easily be overcome with a faint feathering on the throttle - and when I put my normal race wheel back on for a flat ride it feels like I'm flying!

As far as fitting's concerned it was a complete doddle - battery and controller into an Oxford handlebar bag, cable tied throttle onto handlebars (too large diameter to fit as intended), cable tied all other wires snugly and that's about it (I didn't bother with the supplied PAS or brake levers)! The only mod I had to make was filing down my front fork dropouts slightly to fit the motor axle, but they're still (importantly) working fine with the original wheel. A slight problem is changing a tube on the front wheel if I get a puncture when out and about, what with the cables tied to the forks, but I've solved that by using some old velcro ties (the sort one gets holding computer cables bundled etc) instead.

Thoroughly recommend it to anyone, I must admit I was a bit of a snob at first, thinking it would be a stopgap until my health recovered, but when/if it does I'm definitely going to get a second bike, probably a hybrid, to put the kit on for commuting, shopping and general fun and have my race bike for full on workouts. The only mystery to me is why pedelecs aren't more popular, I think if more people knew about them so many more would cycle commute/shop/tour...a world without cars and just eBikes quietly humming around, it'd be bliss!

P.S. Has anyone heard anything about the proposed Shimano STEPs kit? Great publicity at the end of last year and now seems to have died a quiet death, are they still going to put it out?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
P.S. Has anyone heard anything about the proposed Shimano STEPs kit? Great publicity at the end of last year and now seems to have died a quiet death, are they still going to put it out?
Shimano, being the huge company it is, probably aim it at manufacturers to incorporate it as a whole system. That was the intention with Alfine too, a marketing model rather than a whole new design. Whether anyone will adopt the expense of STEPS is debatable, given the abundance of cheaper alternatives.

rh1968

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2010
Shimano, being the huge company it is, probably aim it at manufacturers to incorporate it as a whole system. That was the intention with Alfine too, a marketing model rather than a whole new design. Whether anyone will adopt the expense of STEPS is debatable, given the abundance of cheaper alternatives.
That's a shame, it looked superb but if people can't put it on their own bikes...rather as with Cytronex, their gear (especially the battery) looks great but when it adds £1K to the cost of the donor bike it puts it out of the range of most.