Help! Weight limits, BBS01

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
Hello

I am looking into buying a BBS01 kit from Woosh. I want to convert my old mountain bike (26" wheels).

I am 130KG. I want something that will help me get up the last 20% hill to my house. I'm not ashamed to push the steep bit, but at the end of my working day it is nice not to have to do that.

I also want a button that will turn the wheels over to give me a hand up the steps to my house. Commute is about ten miles each way.

Is this going to work?

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Hello

I am looking into buying a BBS01 kit from Woosh. I want to convert my old mountain bike (26" wheels).

I am 130KG. I want something that will help me get up the last 20% hill to my house. I'm not ashamed to push the steep bit, but at the end of my working day it is nice not to have to do that.

I also want a button that will turn the wheels over to give me a hand up the steps to my house. Commute is about ten miles each way.

Is this going to work?
I'm 85kg and have pulled a 50kg trailer, with bbs01b. I put a smaller 42t front chainring on to give me more hill climbing power. The walk assist should do what you want, my kit came with a throttle too.

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
I'm 85kg and have pulled a 50kg trailer, with bbs01b. I put a smaller 42t front chainring on to give me more hill climbing power. The walk assist should do what you want, my kit came with a throttle too.
Thank you!

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Hello

Is this going to work?
A BBS01 250w will be fine, but check Woosh will set it to full power (keep current 100%) before shipping it to you or buy a programming lead to tweak yourself.
Getting a wide range rear casette and a 42t chainring ( US $34.92 20%OFF | Bafang BBS01B BBS02B Mid Motor 42T Integral Chain Wheel Chainring Electric Bicycle Conversions 8FUN Parts
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtb63eY ) will help keep the motor spinning nicely on the steep hills

Last edited:
Reactions: chris667

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
A BBS01 250w will be fine, but check Woosh will set it to full power (keep current 100%) before shipping it to you or buy a programming lead to tweak yourself.
Getting a wide range rear casette and a 40t chainring will help keep the motor spinning nicely on the steep hills
I'd say it's worth getting the control lead and use either the windows program or the Speeed android app to tweak the motor. There are threads on tweaking the motor, it's easy enough.

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
I'd say it's worth getting the control lead and use either the windows program or the Speeed android app to tweak the motor. There are threads on tweaking the motor, it's easy enough.
I believe that would void the warranty with Woosh.

It's a bit of a moot point, really. The BBS01 kits don't seem to be in stock with them.

What are my other options? Are there any hub kits that would work for me? I'd like to stay legal, but I am conscious of the fact that pretty much no-one else I see riding electric bikes is.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Rather foolishly, I'm not in a calculating state of mind when hauling gardening supplies, but my bbs01b manages to push a combined weight of myself (<63kg) + converted bike (22.1kg) + trailer (15.5)+ cargo over (>88.42kg) = 189kg up a hill which is steeper than 20% at the top. I had an even heavier trailer, but a washer bent on a flat part of a golf course road en route to the hills, and I had to empty water bottles (the cargo) to inspect the new SRAM axle, which I thought had bent, but hadn't. And that's with 52T > 32T. A big battery helps long steep hill climbing ability: less voltage sag.

I don't think any legal hub drive would enable my bike to do that. It's a good thing I wasn't able to source one in 20" at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimriley