Well! I had to try the stent out at some stage!

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I`ve been working on my bikes in the shed for a couple of days, I had taken my Evans conversion out on throttle only the other day for a short test run and to be quite honest speed on even a moderate shallow hill would in no way satisfy me. So, I set about removing the alien kit from the MTB and putting it on my powertrek along with the exisitng gear giving me front and rear wheel drive with two controllers, two throttles, one original pedelec and two 36V 10Amp batteries. Bike is a touch heavy as you might expect but boy does she climb hills on both those throttles:D On the flat she just flies along on the two throttles.(Oh yeh! I haven`t sorted the front brake yet from disk to V brake so it`s a bit hairy on the wet roads:eek:
I`ll ride just on the original gear and while recovering from this heart blip I can always call on the second front hub for a bit more assistance should I need it.
So whilst out i did about 4 miles and put in a fair amount of pedalling and waited to see if I got any chest pain and all seemed fined with no discomfort:) and that means just so much to me.

Dave

Good to hear your first venture went well, just be carefull not to overdo it. both the bike and the `old ticker`
glad to hear your on the mend.

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Woo hoo way to go Dave, so pleased for you hun I bet it was lovely getting out and about on two wheels again and with no aftereffects even better, just don't go over doing it.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Done a bit of strimming today and then with my wife along we did around 5 miles on the bikes. Everything still seems OK and i wanted to go further but the guv put her foot down:(

Flecc(Tony)
Having the two electric hubs on the bike has given me a chance to compare how they fair as far as throttle goes. The powertrek rear 36V 250w hub has the hall sensors and certainly seems to be able to cope well with what is now a very heavy bike. Tell me again what the advantage of hall sensors are in a hub please.

As Flecc suggested I could probably have a small battery running the Alien front hub as it only really comes into play on hills. I went to a couple of reasonably steepish hills today (the type where you know you are having to put quite some effort in) and ran the bike up them without pedalling but just with both throttles fully open and the bike went up very well indeed. It`s something I probably wouldn`t have thought of to fit 2 hubs up till last week but I must say that for anyone that has a permanent disability it would certainly solve the hill problem and even the flat problem where the bike simply skips along.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc(Tony)
Having the two electric hubs on the bike has given me a chance to compare how they fair as far as throttle goes. The powertrek rear 36V 250w hub has the hall sensors and certainly seems to be able to cope well with what is now a very heavy bike. Tell me again what the advantage of hall sensors are in a hub please.
The Hall sensors command the controller to issue the phase power pulses to the motor, therefore being the equivalent of the brushes and commutator in a brush motor. However the commutator is limited to carrying power within it's fixed contact angles, while the Hall sensors and controller can be organised to maximise the period of current carrying for each phase to best timing advantage.

The outcome is that the Hall motor can have a slightly lower peak power but that peak area spread over a wider band of revs and road speed. Brush motors can be rather peaky, maximum power tending to be at a more narrow point in revs and road speed. The difference isn't huge, but the Hall characteristic is more useful and can be more economical too.