Wet cycle, what do you do??

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
Just wondering what if any routines people follow when arriving home on a very wet cycle (e or otherwise).

Apart from a general wipe down, are there any other tricks/tips worth knowing.

I expect the chain/gears require particular attention. I have seen somewhere a special chain lubricant (possibly SJS), is something like this worth using and if so, how often?

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
I tend to stick in the garage and hope that it will dry by morning.

Oddly my Torq used to hate rain with a vengence, but over the last six months I have ridden in all sorts of weather, including a twenty mile trip through streaming rain and almost literally down a river, and have had no problems whatsoever. When it is wet I now leave well alone.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I just bounce a bike hard to shake off the surplus drops, the oil protects all the working parts.

As long as the bike is then left with plenty of airspace around for drying. there shouldn't be any problems.

The worst possible thing is using a full bike cover with the bike still damp since it causes corrosion, though if there's no other storage it's permissible if the cover terminates well short of the ground to ensue a good airflow underneath.

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
I too tend to bounce the bike a bit and put it in the garage, and it's dry by the morning and isn't showing any rust. I use Pro Link chain lube which works very well - keeps the chain lubed but doesn't attract a load of dirt. I lube the chain when it looks like it's staring to dry out - I should probably do it before it shows any signs of drying out I guess.