Wet weather gear

filsgreen

Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2013
Litherland, Merseyside
Hi all

I was wondering if anybody could suggest some decent wet weather apparel, it's a mine field out there. I know Goretex allows you to breathe, so I suppose that is a good starting point. I've been trawling Amazon and there are some good reviews there, but I would prefer to go with someone's personal recommendations.

Thanks

Phil

atheo

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2011
Beds..
I used to wear Inclyne brand of wet gear,but in a heavy downpour used to get leaks,so invested in Gore bikewear,now I stay dry.

D

Deleted member 4366

China is the biggest cycling nation in the world. Shanghai has similar weather to us, ant they virtually all wear capes when it rains. I have one myself (£10 in Aldi, but also available in Wilkos), and I wouldn't use anything else except in strong winds.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I cycle commute in my work clothes ( shirt, trousers ) so I cannot tolerate any leaks at all. I found my Gore Path jacket to be excellent - far better than my old altura night vision jacket in terms of water proofing and breathability. I have recently had to reproof it (3 quid wash in) after about a year of near daily use.

I have used several pairs of waterproof trousers from 9.99 cheapie, 40 quid trousers from mountain warehouse and now use altura attack trousers. My experience is cheap trousers are either not properly waterproof or boil in the bag. the mountain warehouse ones were perfect but as they are not cycling specific the seat goes quickly and you get a wet bum

I think it worth the extra to get cycling specific trousers and the altura attacks are a solid bet.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Goretex is brilliant kit, but not all of it is properly waterproof for extended periods of wind-driven rain, such as is inevitable on a bike.

Packlite, for instance, is really only showerproof, but relatively cheap.

I use a cape, qs it's quick & easy to whip out of the pannier - No Streetcred wotsoever, tho' :p

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
I dunno if this will help or not but avoid cotton tshirts, if you sweat(which most do a little) then that cools and works against everything. Whatever you wear under your waterproof make sure it has "wicking" qualities so lycra+polyester base layers aimed at cyclists or similar but without the elasticness aimed at hiking/camping crowds or running.

The wet might be unpleasant but the cold is what will make you ill.

No1foxy

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2013
South Leicestershire
One tip for getting waterproof trousers on at the side of the road without taking your shoes of. Carry a supermarket carrier bag with you, put it on over your shoes and then put the trousers on. The bag just slides through the trousers, where your shoes would snog on the waterproof coating. I have used this method for years and it works. Hope this helps

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
One tip for getting waterproof trousers on at the side of the road without taking your shoes of. Carry a supermarket carrier bag with you, put it on over your shoes and then put the trousers on. The bag just slides through the trousers, where your shoes would snog on the waterproof coating. I have used this method for years and it works. Hope this helps
That's far superior to my "balance on one leg, fail and get wet socks technique"

I always carry plastic bags to cover my brooks saddle for example.

No1foxy

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2013
South Leicestershire
That's far superior to my "balance on one leg, fail and get wet socks technique"

I always carry plastic bags to cover my brooks saddle for example.
It really does work, it's an old trick from my biking days, that the ones with big V twin motors as big as a cars.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
I use a mix of altura and gore, always dry.

altura is often available on sale really cheaply, gore is pricier but marginally better performance imho.

filsgreen

Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2013
Litherland, Merseyside
Great idea foxy, thanks for that. After buying the bike and Krytonite locks I'm just about skint, that's why I'm getting the Altura stuff for now. Maybe Santa will give me a Goretex Jacket this Xmas :eek:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Commuted for four years now through wind and rain (don't cycle in snow) and use Altura stuff and rarely ever get wet.

Cold hands is a pain though. I need to investigate glove alternatives again.

Jerry

countryman663

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2013
NWest Lake District
I got a lot of stuff by Muddy Fox from our local Sports Direct for both warmth and dry, so far so brilliant! even here in the rain, sorry Lake District ( see earlier post for more details and some images) However some replies suggest that Sports Direct can be a pain to deal with. Our local store is great, even taking back a pair of Karrimor boots that had been worn for a week and proved not to be waterproof, issuing a full cash refund. luck of the draw I suppose.