What are all these dodgy links?

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Hi Flecc

What are all these dodgy link warnings you have posted on a number of threads?

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Someone else had spammed many of the threads, putting the same message on them all with a link to a supposed survey. Flecc warned people by posting immediately afterwards on the same threads, then one of the moderators removed all the dodgy spam posts. It does mean Flecc's posts are now sitting in isolation so they look a bit weird, but that's why.

Michael

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They were a batch of spam posts from a new member, purporting to be for a university project research, all containing a dodgy link and scattered across the forums. Some even quoted from other members posts in an unrelated way. I alerted admin and the posts were quickly removed.

When I have a moment I'll remove any remaining posted warnings.

P.S. Thanks Michael, our replies crossed.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I rarely fill in those questionaires - I always check the URL first. There is always a risk when the page is not hosted on a legitimated (.ac.uk) website but some unknown site, for all you know, the page can contain internet malware. I think this forum should have a database of approved domains. Any URLs to unknown domains should automatically be deactivated until the post is checked.

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Thanks for the vigilance, action and replies.

Reactions: flecc

Jamie B

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 3, 2015
Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know that the link isn't dodgey. It really is for a University project and would really value some responses from people with an interest in Electric bikes and the growing interest in the industry.

Apologies if this has caused you any issues but I can guarante its not a virus link ect.

Cheers

Jamie B

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 3, 2015
And apologies it is not ac.uk adress, we used a website called Qualatrics which they link takes you too. This is a questionnaire site which helps to collect the data in a way it can be viewed easily.

Thanks

Jamie

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Jamie, it's not your link refered to, so no apology necessary, I knew your request was genuine.

The links in question were a large batch in all parts of the site from a member named as CarolineM, all containing a suspect link. It was clear they were spam from the multiplicity, and a potential for infection.

P.S. I've now seen your new post.

Last edited: