What do you carry in your repair kit?

gordon581

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2014
Glasgow
An earlier post by drsolly today concerning roadside repairs got me thinking about my repair kit and and wondering about other people's. What do you carry with you to assist with unexpected repairs?

Here's mine:

In it are:
Puncture repair kit (I don't carry a spare tube);
Gerber multi-tool;
Leatherman micro multi-tool;
Multi Allen key tool (1.5-8mm);
Fuses;
Small adjustable wrench;
Mini pump w/ built-in gauge;
Electrical tape;
Duct tape;
Zip ties;
Cell-level lipo tester (not pictured);
And for those non-bike related emergencies, a roll of toilet paper.

Everything except the pump and loo roll fits inside the little container in the top-left of the image, which is then all thrown into my rucksack which I'm never without.

So, what's in yours?
Forgive me but whats the need for fuses? I presume some bikes have fuses, others not?

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
I always carry a few spare chain links in my tool kit; not only good for a broken chain but can be used for tying a broken gear or brake cable ,together gets you home( i know):confused:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Today I hit a big pothole and my homemade 18650 booster battery (in saddle bag) fell off, hit the road and broke a internal connection

Long story short the aldi 15 quid gas soldering iron came to the rescue and I could repair at work in the car park

I have to carry a backpack on my commute - about 4kgs worth so iron doesn't make a dent in the size or weight for me

And just repaid 50% of it's cost as I'd have to get the train home without it :)

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
Long story short the aldi 15 quid gas soldering iron came to the rescue and I could repair at work in the car park
Nice one! Can I just ask, how does the iron actually work? I've bought two cheap gas soldering irons in the past and both failed after quite a short time because they relied on a non-replaceable catalyst in the body of the iron. I guess they'd still be okay for a one-off emergency use, but even so, I found them to be pretty shoddy. Is the Aldi iron well made?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Nice one! Can I just ask, how does the iron actually work? I've bought two cheap gas soldering irons in the past and both failed after quite a short time because they relied on a non-replaceable catalyst in the body of the iron. I guess they'd still be okay for a one-off emergency use, but even so, I found them to be pretty shoddy. Is the Aldi iron well made?
I have no frame of reference I'm afraid ! I've never owned a gas powered iron before

I can tell you I reckon I've had a total of between 45 mins and 90mins of runtime out of it so far over about 5 or 6 different occasions

Reactions: axolotl

gordon581

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2014
Glasgow
I had a bit of an accident today when taking a shortcut over rough ground I hit a rut and went flying over the handlebars. Thankfully I had enough in my repair kit to get me home . Just as well though as I was on a remote cyclepath with no one around to help. What surprised me, as I was lying on the ground making repairs a cyclist just rode past without as much as a grunt. I always believed there was an unwritten code between cyclists to help each other esp when miles from others. A good reminder to make sure you carry a repair kit. (and first aid kit, in my case)

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I hope you came away uninjured
a cyclist just rode past without as much as a grunt
Now that surprises me.
I'll assume as you were on rough ground this grunt wasn't a Lycra clad power ranger, there normally the ignorant ones.
I was out today and stopped several times to admire the views (& catch my breath) 3 times I was asked if I needed assistance, two cycles and a walker :) I must have looked nackered :oops:

Reactions: Gordon Stewart

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
as I was lying on the ground making repairs a cyclist just rode past without as much as a grunt.
Had you still got your Yes/No slogan on show?

Reactions: Gordon Stewart

Gordon Stewart

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 2, 2014
:confused::confused:Lol, no, no political markings and by that point I was on a tarmac cycle path. It was a lycra cladded gentleman.
Afraid I rolled to the bottom of a railway embankment. Thankfully, the nettles and bramble bushes slowed my speed down by helpfully sticking their thorns into my flesh.

Gordon Stewart

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 2, 2014
I hope you came away uninjured

Now that surprises me.
I'll assume as you were on rough ground this grunt wasn't a Lycra clad power ranger, there normally the ignorant ones.
I was out today and stopped several times to admire the views (& catch my breath) 3 times I was asked if I needed assistance, two cycles and a walker :) I must have looked nackered :oops:
Jeez, you must have looked terrible.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It largely depends what I'm doing and where I'm riding.

If I'm going to one of the organised mtb events, then I'll take a shed load of stuff along with me in the van. Over and above items listed lower, I'll take along items such as a track pump, various lubes, a box of nuts and bolts, waterproof jacket, change of clothing and a certificate of conformity for the bike. Clearly those items stay with the vehicle, but I will carry two extra inner tubes for the ride. I tend just to use my Camelbak Rogue for these rides.

If I'm riding locally, and expect to just be out for say 25 miles and a couple of hours, then I'll take my Camelbak Rogue, one tube, scabs, Mountain Morph pump, tyre levers, spare chain links, a multi tool with chain splitter, and a few cable ties, some money, a phone and possibly maps.

If I'm going out for a full and lengthy off road ride, then I'll take my Camelbak Mule NV, and added to the above kit, I'll also take along energy foods, a small fold up poncho, a first aid kit, chain lube, which will be either wet or dry depending upon conditions, a few nuts and bolts, and a note pad/pen.

For evening rides, I also take along a small torch, although one of my cheapo multi tools has a built in one.

I also always take along medical and ID data. Hopefully the worst will never happen, but this info doesn't take up any room, and could potentially save a lot of grief.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
From Ebay/Amazon I got one of those 4 in 1 bags which nicely straddles the top bar and fits up snuggly against the steerer tube, and for their size I can store the following;
  • Mini pump 220mm
  • 2 x tubes & a puncture kit
  • F & R Lezyne usb lights
  • Spanner for CST hub nuts.
  • 19pc Multi tool with chain breaker
  • A few other loose Allen keys
  • Mobile phone
also I can fit in my Brooks riding gloves and a beany hat, on top of that I can strap a liquid bottle on top .